Muttley's long weekend adventures

Old August 26th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

Default Muttley's long weekend adventures

We just got back from a long weekend Kabin Kamping at the KOA near
Hagerstown, MD. There were some special events, including the
Augustoberfest in downtown Hagerstown, and the Williamsport/C&O Canal Days
festival in Williamsport. But mainly it was to be just R&R, and not
Rock'n'Roll.

We got there in time for dinner to be delivered to our Kabin via Golf Kart,
and I also took Muttley on a couple of walks around the camp and on the dog
trail before dark. There were lots of other dogs, kids, and people for
Muttley to check out, but mostly he was happy to lie on the porch or sit in
front of the Kabin watching the activity.

On Saturday we had a nice breakfast and then headed out to the Outlet
Shops, where we got some bargains at LL Bean and Coleman. Their store was
closing, so everything was half-price or better, but they were cleaned out
nearly to the walls. I also stopped at my other favorite store, Black and
Decker, where I returned a defective hand-crank rechargeable flashlight I
had purchased in June. Then we stopped at the festival in Williamsport, and
visited some interesting craft booths. Returned to the KOA where Muttley
and Cathy were holding down the fort, and Georgie got her daily ration of
calcium at the ice cream social. It was another nice warm day and fairly
cool evening, great for sleeping.

On Sunday, after another fine breakfast, and another nice stroll on the
dogwalk with Muttley, Cathy and I took the scenic route through Antietam
and Shepherdstown to the flea market in Harpers Ferry. The first booth we
came to was manned by a tattooed biker guy who lives in Hagerstown and has
a pawn shop there, but he really wanted to open a bike shop and tattoo
parlor, but the Town Fathers would not allow it. So he is moving to Falling
Water, WV, where there are no zoning restrictions, and you can even get
slot machines installed in your garage and get a % of revenue.

There were lots of booths to visit, and it was another beautiful but rather
warm day. The Chinese have a big booth with all sorts of unbelievably cheap
stuff. I got a travel water bowl for $1 and a set of nut drivers for $2,
and a cell phone case for $3. Lots more cool stuff on other tables, ranging
from firearms to junk to antiques. I was attracted to a booth with lots of
guitars and amplifiers. The old guy had some nice instruments, and I needed
a guitar amp for my electric guitar. He had some nice Fender Princeton 112+
amps (http://media.musicalplanet.com/pdf/FEN337.PDF), which he was selling
for $225, but he also had one that had a bit of a hum that he sold to me
for $75. Now I can see if the guitar I have is any good, and if not, I can

That was about enough shopping for the weekend, and when we got back to the
KOA, I got a call from someone who is very active in the design of communal
homes with an emphasis on disaster readiness and home employment. He met us
and we joined him for a buffet dinner at the Western Sizzlin'. He's a very
interesting guy and he gave us some of the books he has written.
http://www.trafford.com/4dcgi/robots/04-2708.html

Sunday night was pretty quiet at the KOA. On Monday Cathy, Muttley and I
went to Hancock, MD, to visit Appalachian Archery where I found out that
the Bear compound bow I had bought for $20 a few years ago was worth just
about that, and I had it refurbished and got some target tips.
http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/bows/compound/

Mine is apparently over 25 years old and considered an antique, but maybe
I'll have some fun with it. If I get desperate I have broadhead tip and
there is a family of deer living in my back yard. Venison and
Bambi-burgers!

There was a big news item in Hancock on Friday, where someone held his
girlfriend as "hostage" in a motel.
http://wbal.com/apps/news/templates/...11424&zoneid=3
http://your4state.com/content/fulltext/?cid=27171

Some local kids in Hancock had fun hugging Muttley, and he seemed to enjoy
it or at least tolerate it well. Everybody seems to love him, and they
often ask what kind he is. I generally say GSD mix, with some possibility
of Mastiff and boxer. Who knows. He's a big ol' love muffin.

Now everyone is home, and Muttley is zonked out on the bed.

Enough adventure!

Paul and Muttley

Old August 26th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul&Muttley

[repost: Original did not appear on news server]

girlfriend as "hostage" in a motel.http://wbal.com/apps/news/templates/...ext/?cid=27171