Toby the JRT needs a home! (DC Metro Area)

Old September 5th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

Default Toby the JRT needs a home! (DC Metro Area)

This one came from one of our volunteers, and I figured I'll post it here,
on the off chance that someone might know someone who might be looking for a
dog. Here is the story:

"Toby has been a client of ours for 3 years now, the sweetest most gentle
dog you can imagine. One of those kind hearts and old souls type of
dog...very caring and well trained.

Unfortunately, he has a seperation anxiety issue which has only worsened
since his owners had a child this past year. They have had Toby for 5
years, but can no longer deal with the behavior of his peeing and pooping
and then walking all in it EVERY time they leave the house. When they are
home..he is the perfect dog. But they leave, and he makes this mess...it's
so bad they just dread leaving now. But both parents work.

The owner called me today to let me know that she'd likely take him to the
shelter tomorrow unless I had an alternative. And the shelter she is
speaking of told her that they'd put him down, as they wouldn't place him in
another home for another family to deal with the same issue. She had
tried 3 rescues in the last couple of weeks to no avail (LOST DOG, HOMEWARD
TRAILS & JACK RUSSELL TERRIER RESCUE)

I have a connection to FOHA and HART and I am working on those now. Does
anyone have any other connections? Any ideas of people able to foster? We
are thinking that he will have to be placed in a home where the person does
not leave, or in a home where if they do leave, maybe there is a yard that
they can place him in.

I know he sounds like a handful, obviousely he is. But none of us can
stomach the idea of him being put down, he's a great dog with plenty of
happy energetic loving years ahead of him if he is given a chance. He had a
bad start...his first owner crated him 24/7 and left him in there where he
had to live in his own feces. So he was then taken to the shelter where
these owners took him in in hopes that he'd be able to overcome his first 2
years of life. But it just has not happened.

Toby is so sweet and LOVES to chase balls, say hi to other dogs and kids,
and give kisses. He really is the model doggie with just that one flaw that
I hope doesn't prove to be fatal.

I don't know how much time he has, I had to convince the owner to give me at
least a day. So we will see what transpires!"

Suja