Non-stinky meats

Old September 8th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

Default Non-stinky meats

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

Did you know that pig beats mint extract, rose
essence AND sandalwood extract combined? I almost cried when I found out
that the bottle of Vicks that I thought I had turned out to be Iodex.

Anyway, I am considering having Rajesh ask his friends that hunt whether we
can get the trimmings and whatnot that they don't normally use from the
deer. When people talk about meats tasting gamey, does that also mean that
they smell particularly vile? Is Rabbit better or worse? I really don't
think I can stand to do Pork on a 3 week rotation, and desperately need to
add something else in there, to stretch out the intervals a bit.

Gamey tends to be strong. Vile is in the eye of the beholder.

Put the pork in a cooler, drive up 29, I'll process it and put it back
in the cooler! Meat does not gross me out, needless to say.

--
Janet Boss
Old September 8th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

I have little experience with meats (Surprise!), so imagine my surprise when
I found out that there are meats out there that are worse than liver. Yes,
I'm talking about Babe. Did you know that pig beats mint extract, rose

Old September 8th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Suja wrote:
Anyway, I am considering having Rajesh ask his friends that hunt whether we
can get the trimmings and whatnot that they don't normally use from the
deer.

You can also pick up innards from people who process game
for $$$, and they'll usually give it away for free rather
than have to dispose of it themselves. Hunting season is
coming up.

When people talk about meats tasting gamey, does that also mean that
they smell particularly vile?

I don't think so, but while the meat's not too stanky the
intestines can be pretty smelly.

Is Rabbit better or worse?

Better.

I really don't
think I can stand to do Pork on a 3 week rotation,

I'm with you on that.

Oh! And you go:
http://newsminer.com/news/2008/aug/3...ed-ick-factor/

Old September 8th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Suja wrote:
I have little experience with meats (Surprise!), so imagine my surprise when
I found out that there are meats out there that are worse than liver. Yes,
I'm talking about Babe. Did you know that pig beats mint extract, rose
essence AND sandalwood extract combined? I almost cried when I found out
that the bottle of Vicks that I thought I had turned out to be Iodex.

Anyway, I am considering having Rajesh ask his friends that hunt whether we
can get the trimmings and whatnot that they don't normally use from the
deer. When people talk about meats tasting gamey, does that also mean that
they smell particularly vile? Is Rabbit better or worse? I really don't
think I can stand to do Pork on a 3 week rotation, and desperately need to
add something else in there, to stretch out the intervals a bit.

I've been highly carnivorous my entire life but when I'm even the
slightest bit queasy (as in dealing with seasonal allergies resulting in
an overnight post-nasal drip) I have to wear gloves and work with a
faucet running full force to deal with repackaging and/or processing pork.

Venison is different enough in odor and texture that it doesn't bother
me much.

Rabbit is not so bad. It's pretty much on a par with chicken or turkey
on the ickitude scale. Same thing with squirrel.

Can you do salmon? I won't serve farm-raised to my family, but if I had
a dog with protein issues, given that their lifespan is less than a
fifth of a human's I wouldn't balk at using it.

Old September 9th 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-09-08 17:40:32 -0400, "Suja" said:

When people talk about meats tasting gamey, does that also mean that
they smell particularly vile? Is Rabbit better or worse? I really don't
think I can stand to do Pork on a 3 week rotation,

Rabbit is the least stinky, but you're going to have problems with any
meat, so you need to find some help. Game meat is worse than chicken.

Of course, those extracts would have made me sick for the most part -
except the mint.

Please, find a confederate!

Old September 9th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

Hunting season is
coming up.

That's definitely part of the consideration. Unfortunately, my friend that
hunts also has 4 dogs, so all his leftover stuff goes to his dogs.

I don't think so, but while the meat's not too stanky the
intestines can be pretty smelly.

I saw some green tripe at the vet's freezer, and came -- close to picking
it up. I did remember the stench discussions, however, and left it out.

Better.

I think that if I find some ground rabbit, we'd be all set.

Oh! And you go:

http://newsminer.com/news/2008/aug/3...ed-ick-factor/

Remind me to never move that far North. Vegetarian animal guts is bad
enough. Grizzly guts, I can do without.

Suja

Old September 9th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Kathleen" wrote in message:

Venison is different enough in odor and texture that it doesn't bother
me much.

I had far fewer problems with beef than with pork.

Rabbit is not so bad. It's pretty much on a par with chicken or turkey
on the ickitude scale. Same thing with squirrel.

I'm NOT going squirrel hunting for the beast. If he catches one, he's
welcome to eat it, but that's it. If Rabbit is on par with chicken or
turkey, I can definitely handle that.

Can you do salmon? I won't serve farm-raised to my family, but if I had
a dog with protein issues, given that their lifespan is less than a
fifth of a human's I wouldn't balk at using it.

Oddly enough, I have no problems with fish. I'd go so far as to say that
I'd be happy to prepare something far stankier for him, using Mackerel or
sardines.

Suja

Old September 9th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"montana wildhack" wrote in message:

Rabbit is the least stinky, but you're going to have problems with any
meat, so you need to find some help. Game meat is worse than chicken.

FWIW, I've gotten used to liver. The pork was far, far worse than that. If
Rabbit/venison is less icky than liver, we're good.

Of course, those extracts would have made me sick for the most part -
except the mint.

That's where we started, with some peppermint extract under my nose. That
wasn't working well enough, so I added some fresh mint to the meat. Then, I
added the rose oil, and sandalwood oil was an act of desperation.

Please, find a confederate!

You want to hear something funny? Even the most avowed carnivorous friends
of mine don't really want to touch organ meats. 'EWWW!' seems to be the
general reaction.

I am starting to think that I'll buy ground pork, and if I can find a
butcher that processes game meats, maybe he can grind those for me as well.
For some reason, having the meats look less life-like helps.

Suja

Old September 9th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Terri" wrote in message:

Tell me _why_ are we doing this again?

Because the holistic vet said so. She wants him on grain-free food to see
if his skin issues are allergy related (it's a good thought, but he doesn't
have food allergies, IMO), the grain free kibbles in the market are not
appropriate for him, and pre-prepared foods are generally too expensive or
require that I buy 100s of pounds to make it cost effective.

Suja

Old September 9th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-09-09 10:09:26 -0400, "Suja" said:

Even the most avowed carnivorous friends
of mine don't really want to touch organ meats. 'EWWW!' seems to be the
general reaction.

Know any professional cooks?