Pictures

Old September 10th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Pictures

My little petunia:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2843400437/

A close-up (don't view while eating):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2844235046/

Those were taken about two minutes after getting home. Harriet's
first order of business was to hoover the kitchen floor. Obviously,
her appetite is Just Fine.

I ended up taking the soft e-collar off, because it didn't stop her
from licking. I'm just going to have to keep a close eye on her,
because she's not inclined to leave the incision alone. Wrapping her
in a burrito seems to work pretty well for when I can't be in the
same room with her, but I'm going to have to come up with a Plan B
when I go back to work next week. A stiff e-collar might be
necessary.

The wound is going to seep blood for awhile. It is not a good
location for this type of tumor. As it was, he couldn't get as wide
of margins as they would have liked, because it would have meant
taking a slice of the muscle, and he didn't want to do that just yet.

From what I've heard, this vet is one of the best diagnosticians in
town. He thinks it's a spindle cell tumor, but benign. If he's
right, he thinks it will probably come back in the same spot, but
will grow more quickly each time. They sent the whole mass out to
the lab (the FNA was inconclusive), just to be sure. The results
should be back in about a week. Fingers crossed! We discussed
future treatment options (amputation, chemo, etc.), but I'm not going
to worry about that bridge until we come to it. Harriet's breed and
age considered, I'm just not willing to worry about something that is
hopefully at least a year or two off.

As for woe, we have seen none of it, thus far! She's happy and
bouncy. Too bouncy, in fact. The vet said that she woke up quickly
after the surgery. He said she would settle down when things were
quiet in the back room, but as soon as there was any movement, she'd
go on alert and get tense, and whenever that happened, her butt
tensed up and and her incision oozed. Fun times! He wasn't worried
about it, because he'd tied off the underlying blood vessels and used
multiple layers of stitches, so it was just minor seepage, but he
figured she'd be less oozy if she could settle down. So far, at
home, she's had a little bit of oozing, but not much.

This is the second vet from this practice that we've seen, and I'm
really, thoroughly happy with both of them. The one who did the
surgery spent about half an hour talking with me when I picked up
Harriet. He did a good job of balancing technical jargon with
layman's explanations, without being at all condescending. I really
felt like both my dog and I were in good hands.

Now, if I can just keep her from pulling out her stitches.

--
Shelly
Old September 10th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-09-10 11:24:54 -0400, Shelly said:

My little petunia:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2843400437/

Love the cape.

As for the other, ow.

Glad to see she's doing well.

Old September 10th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Shelly" wrote in message:

My little petunia:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2843400437/

In a snazzy new 'outfit', no less.

A close-up (don't view while eating):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2844235046/

It looks really good. Not in the least bit gross.

Wrapping her
in a burrito seems to work pretty well for when I can't be in the
same room with her, but I'm going to have to come up with a Plan B
when I go back to work next week. A stiff e-collar might be
necessary.

A bitenot collar might work too. It's less of PITA than a regular cone, so
worth a shot.

As for woe, we have seen none of it, thus far!

I see that Harriet needs to have a chat with Luce. She can bring her up to
speed on how to milk this for all it's worth.

This is the second vet from this practice that we've seen, and I'm
really, thoroughly happy with both of them.

It's awesome when that happens. I read about horrible vets and terrible
veterinary advice all the time, so it's nice to know when you've got someone
(or several someones) that you can entrust with your dog.

Now, if I can just keep her from pulling out her stitches.

Good luck with that.

Suja

Old September 10th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb[_2_]

Shelly wrote in
6:

My little petunia:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2843400437/

Poor thing! I mean you, Harriet doesn't seem to be suffering... Keeping
my fingers crossed here for good healing and good biopsy results.

--
Catherine
& Zoe, Queenie, & Max, 3 black dogs of varying sizes
Old September 11th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_4_]

"Shelly" wrote in message
6...
My little petunia:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2843400437/

A close-up (don't view while eating):

It's incredible to me, that a few hours after having a crater dug in her
leg, she looks just fine. Active in fact. And good, she looks very good.

I hope her recovery proceeds as it has started.

I am just crazy about your dog!
Karla

Old September 11th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Shelly wrote:

Now, if I can just keep her from pulling out her stitches.

I must have missed your initial post, didn't realize that Harriet
was having surgery. All fingers and paws crossed for benign and
nonrecurrence. I'm glad to see that she's handling it well.

FurPaw

--
The plural of anecdote is not proof.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old September 11th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
William Clodius

Hope his diagnosis is correct, and Harriet leaves you in stitches while
leaving her stitches alone.
Old September 11th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

montana wildhack wrote in

Love the cape.

It reminds me of the lizard that killed Newman in Jurrasic Park.

As for the other, ow.

Glad to see she's doing well.

Thanks! She's actually not showing any sign of being in discomfort.
I'm sure some of that is that she's pretty stoic, but she's also on
pain meds, and they seem to be doing a good job. She was positively
boingy this morning.

--
Shelly
Old September 11th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Suja" wrote in
:

In a snazzy new 'outfit', no less.

Yes. She had to go and grow a watermelon on her ass, in order to get
a new outfit.

It looks really good. Not in the least bit gross.

I thought so, too! I'm really impressed, but I understand that
looking at oozy stitches isn't everybody's cup of tea.

A bitenot collar might work too. It's less of PITA than a regular
cone, so worth a shot.

I looked, and couldn't fine one locally. I ended up picking up a
stiff plastic e-collar at Petco. I'll give it a test run tonight,
when I go to do the PM cat feeding.

I see that Harriet needs to have a chat with Luce. She can bring
her up to speed on how to milk this for all it's worth.

Oh, but seriously. She is registering a 0 on the woe-O-meter.

I'm wondering if the tumor was causing more than just irritation.
Even with a big hole in her butt, she's wrigly and bouncy and happy.
And, she's sleeping for long periods on her right side, which she
hasn't done in ages. I think she's just simply more comfortable.

It's awesome when that happens. I read about horrible vets and
terrible veterinary advice all the time, so it's nice to know when
you've got someone (or several someones) that you can entrust with
your dog.

Amen. I woke up in the middle of the night last night, and started
thinking of all the crap that made me unhappy at the practice I'd
been going to. When you add it all up, instead of stringing it out
over time, it seems perfectly obvious that, at the very least, it was
not a good match for me and my pets.

Good luck with that.

Thanks! I have a feeling I'm going to need it!

--
Shelly
Old September 11th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

ceb wrote in
:

Poor thing! I mean you, Harriet doesn't seem to be suffering...
Keeping my fingers crossed here for good healing and good biopsy
results.

Thanks! She's really doing well, recovery wise. The rest, I'm
trying not to think about.

--
Shelly

Those tug pictures White Monkey Dog behavior 0 September 12th 04 02:30 PM
New Pictures shelly Dog behavior 114 August 17th 04 08:09 PM
Pictures! Suja Dog behavior 0 May 17th 04 03:08 PM
Pictures! Suja Dog behavior 0 November 11th 03 08:13 PM
Pictures! Suja Dog behavior 0 November 11th 03 08:13 PM