Tiny dog's death pits neighbor against neighbor

Old September 11th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

Default Tiny dog's death pits neighbor against neighbor

Following along with the link 'steve and jumping dogs' a local incident:

Tiny dog's death pits neighbor against neighbor

Thomasi McDonald, Staff Writer
Comment on this story

RALEIGH - By all accounts, Betty Richardson's Chihuahua, Noah, was a
well-loved -- some would say spoiled -- little dog.
Richardson's mother stayed with Noah each afternoon, so he would not get
lonely while Richardson worked. The 5-pound dog had a Coach-brand collar, an
N.C. State jacket for cool days and a raincoat for wet ones. He had pajamas,
too, though Richardson said he rarely wore them.

Noah died Aug. 30, just two months after celebrating his 12th birthday.

Richardson says Noah perished under the thumb of a man who lives a few doors
from her home. The neighbor, David Lance Upchurch, acknowledges holding the
dog down, but says he did so only after Noah, who was unleashed, viciously
attacked him. He says he did not apply enough pressure to kill Noah, and he
points to studies that show tracheal collapse is a common medical condition
among Chihuahuas.

Police on Friday charged Upchurch, 37, of 1028 Cookwood Court, with cruelty
to animals, a misdemeanor. Upchurch, who works in The News & Observer's
information services department, posted a $500 bond.

The incident has created tension in the Raleigh neighborhood where
Richardson and Upchurch live. Upchurch has even filed a restraining order
against another neighbor he says threatened to shoot him over Noah's death.

story continues at link:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/cri...y/1211926.html

Old September 11th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
tiny dancer wrote:
Following along with the link 'steve and jumping dogs' a local incident:

Jeebus H. Crackpot. I guess Nancy Grace needs to make a
living, too.

Old September 11th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-09-11 16:34:49 -0400, "tiny dancer"
said:

Noah, who was unleashed,

Are leashes required in that area?

It is unclear as to whether the dog was off the owner's property.

The dog was not under the owner's control.

Noah's owner should have spent her money on a leash and a mirror,
rather than pajamas.

Old September 11th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-09-11 16:42:18 -0400, (Melinda Shore) said:

I guess Nancy Grace needs to make a
living, too.

I thought she only dealt with white girls.

Old September 11th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"tiny dancer" spoke these words of
wisdom in :

[...]

Sheesh, chihuahua's can be vicious. If one attacked me, I'd step on it. I
have a friend who was bitten to the bone by a chihuahua last week. It got
loose and attacked her. The owner says this dog does this often. Also does
it to family if they get a leash, or try to pick him up, or get close to
his food bowl. They are expecting a baby soon. My friend asked them what
they are going to do about the dog when the baby comes. DUH.. They never
thought about it.

I have a feeling there will be Chi news locally soon.
Old September 12th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Td said in part.........
Noah died Aug 30. just 2 months after celebrating his 12th birthday.
Richardson says Noah perished under the thumb of a man who lives just 2
doors from her home.
____________________________
As usual I have mixed emotions on this incident. A Chi lives next
door to me. He is a nasty little dog and has attempted to bite me on
many occaisions. He is small enough that he can step through the fence
on his side. He has actually bitten the UPS man. I shout at "Bailey"
or stomp my feet when he is on the attack. He runs my dogs up on the
porch. I have a very nice relationship with my elderly neighbor
(Bailey's dad) and would like to keep it that way. If one of my dogs
tires of being attacked and snaps him in two (on my property). I am
sure somehow I will be to blame, not by my neighbor, but if the law is
involved simply because I have 2 pit bull mixes. I do not want any
trouble. I also do not want my grand child to be afraid or bitten when
she comes here yet she is afraid, so is my daughter.
The incident that td posted somehow does not seem right to me. I
would think a 37 year old man could drop kick the dog to the next county
if he was in fear for his life. Why would he bend down to attempt to
restrain the dog with his thumb? Wouldn't he run a greater risk of
being bitten on the face or hands if he was merely attempting to
restrain the dog?
Why is the killer of the dog being charged with animal cruelty if he
was merely defending himself against the nasty little dog?
Clearly, the owner is to blame for allowing the dog to run at large
unleashed, especially since he apparently is a less than pleasant little
dog.
I do believe I could have escaped from the Chi without crushing his
trachea. I do it everyday.
I think it is a sad story all the way around.
Td, if you think of it will you please let me know how this case is
resolved. I am curious and confused.

Be Free.....Judy