Two Days Post-op

Old September 12th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Two Days Post-op

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2851141508/

She's *supposed* to be lying on an ugly old blanket, onna counta
blood spots, but that ain't happening (blankets are for sleeping
under, not on). I was a little concerned about the redness along the
incision, but she's on antibiotics, the wound hasn't been warm to the
touch, and most importantly, it's steadily fading. There's no
swelling, either, which surprises me.

--
Shelly
Old September 12th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot[_2_]

That does look awful red but as long as it's not hot to touch or seeping I
wouldn't worry much and just keep an eye on it.

Hope she's feeing better soon.

Celeste

6...

Old September 12th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Spot" wrote in news7wyk.10$8v5.5@trnddc01:

That does look awful red but as long as it's not hot to touch or
seeping I wouldn't worry much and just keep an eye on it.

They had to loosen the skin from the underlying tissue, in order to
get enough slack to close the incision. I was expecting some redness
and bruising to go along with that. I'm keeping a close eye on it,
though, because if there's any sign of anything amiss, I want to
catch it ASAP.

And there's been seeping, for sure, but that was expected, too. It's
tapering off nicely. (The vet, bless his heart, offered to give me a
sheet to protect my car seats.)

Hope she's feeing better soon.

Thanks! She's feeling pretty good, already.

--
Shelly
Old September 12th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

"Shelly" wrote:

They had to loosen the skin from the underlying tissue, in order to
get enough slack to close the incision. I was expecting some redness
and bruising to go along with that.

When I looked at the picture, that's what it seemed like to me -
bruising/subcutaneous bleeding due to trauma, rather than the sort of
redness you get from inflammation or infection. As I'm sure you know, the
former often *looks* worse after a day or three as the stagnant blood moves
through the tissues.

Looking at it (of course, pictures can be deceptive!) I think my main
concern would be that she not stress the stiched area until it's well-knit.

Old September 12th 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"sionnach" wrote in
:

When I looked at the picture, that's what it seemed like to me -
bruising/subcutaneous bleeding due to trauma, rather than the
sort of redness you get from inflammation or infection.

Yes. There was a good bit of bleeding and seeping in the first 24
hours. I was well warned about that, and about the underlying tissue
damage caused by loosening the skin.

And, in fact, I just took a close look at her undercarriage. She's
got matching bruises on the inside of her thigh, I'm assuming from
being gripped while they were working on her.

As I'm sure you know, the former often *looks* worse after a day
or three as the stagnant blood moves through the tissues.

Exactly. When I bruise myself, there's usually just enough time
between the injury and the appearance of the bruise to forget how the
heck it happened.

Looking at it (of course, pictures can be deceptive!) I think my
main concern would be that she not stress the stiched area until
it's well-knit.

That's what I'm most worried about. I caught her lying with her rear
legs tucked up tight under her, in a way that tensed and squeezed her
glutes. Not good. I can put a cone on her to keep her from licking
and chewing on the wound, but there's no way to keep her from
stressing it when I'm not home. I'll have to wait and see, but I may
end up taking a couple more days off work at the beginning of next
week, too, just to be on the safe side.

--
Shelly
Old September 13th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Shelly wrote:

That's what I'm most worried about. I caught her lying with her rear
legs tucked up tight under her, in a way that tensed and squeezed her
glutes. Not good. I can put a cone on her to keep her from licking
and chewing on the wound, but there's no way to keep her from
stressing it when I'm not home. I'll have to wait and see, but I may
end up taking a couple more days off work at the beginning of next
week, too, just to be on the safe side.

I meant to ask you if you were giving her arnica. It helps tremendously
with bruising and with wound healing. Arnica Montana. You can get it at
most health food stores. A tiny blue bottle with even tinier pills
(about half the size of a BB). I start the dobes out on 3, three times a
day then taper. You'll see a big difference, I promise.
Old September 13th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Robin Nuttall wrote in

I meant to ask you if you were giving her arnica. It helps
tremendously with bruising and with wound healing. Arnica Montana.

My mom mentioned arnica, but I didn't know if it was okay to give to
dogs, and haven't had time to research it. I bet the hippie granola
market near me carries it.

I start the dobes out on 3, three times a day then taper. You'll
see a big difference, I promise.

About how much do they weigh? Harriet's around 48-50lbs.

--
Shelly
Old September 13th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Terri wrote in
:

Yeesh, poor girl. It's not like she's got lots of extra skin to
begin with.

Well, she does, but not on her butt! If the tumor had been near her
neck chub, there would've been no problem. She could hide a whole
'nother dog in there.

Wow, that is nice.

I thought so. Unnecessary, but nice. Quite a change from the vet at
the old place, who laughed at me trying to hoist Elliott into my car.

Well that's good, anyway. Many scritches to the indominatable Ms.
Brown.

Thanks! They have been delivered and were much appreciated.

--
Shelly
Old September 13th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska[_2_]

"Shelly" wrote in message
6...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2851141508/

She's *supposed* to be lying on an ugly old blanket, onna counta
blood spots, but that ain't happening (blankets are for sleeping
under, not on). I was a little concerned about the redness along the
incision, but she's on antibiotics, the wound hasn't been warm to the
touch, and most importantly, it's steadily fading. There's no
swelling, either, which surprises me.

awwwwwww shes sooooo sweet faced

Old September 21st 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Shelly spoke these words of wisdom in
6:

Terri wrote in
:

Yeesh, poor girl. It's not like she's got lots of extra skin to
begin with.

Well, she does, but not on her butt! If the tumor had been near her
neck chub, there would've been no problem. She could hide a whole
'nother dog in there.

Wow, that is nice.

I thought so. Unnecessary, but nice. Quite a change from the vet at
the old place, who laughed at me trying to hoist Elliott into my car.

Well that's good, anyway. Many scritches to the indominatable Ms.
Brown.

Thanks! They have been delivered and were much appreciated.

So how is Harriet now?