TV

Old September 18th 08, 01:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Default TV

Anyone see Bones last night?

I thought they did a pretty good job of covering the fight to the death
pit pull topic and treated it with some amount of truth and respect.
That's while realizing that it is television and fiction, so some things
weren't exactly documentary.

That was the first time I'd seen Cesar Milan.

I noticed that at the end when Bones is making the case that the killer
dog was really a good one who was only a mean fighter because he was
trying to please his master, the dog pictured looked more like a German
shepherd mix than a pit. What is it about the mainstream media that can
come so close to saying that pits can be excellent pets and then
sidestep at the last minute?

We normally have the sound down during the ads, but we caught the one
with the dogs looking at the camera and saying that they'd been trained
to keep fighting while injured, then saying "I may be a dog, but who's
the animal?" Interesting decision to air that particular ad during that
particular episode.

--Lia

Old September 18th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nick

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:04:50 -0400, Julia Altshuler wrote:

Anyone see Bones last night?

snip

--Lia

I had intended to watch it, but my father-in-law's friend who has been
taking care of one of his dogs since the motorcycle accident brought it
back for the weekend because they are going to be out of town. He
visited all the way through the show. I did get to see part of it on
mute though.

Nick
Old September 18th 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:04:50 -0400, Julia Altshuler
wrote:

Anyone see Bones last night?

No.

I thought they did a pretty good job of covering the fight to the death
pit pull topic and treated it with some amount of truth and respect.

Really?

I noticed that at the end when Bones is making the case that the killer
dog was really a good one who was only a mean fighter because he was
trying to please his master,

That wouldn't count, to me anyway, as truth. The part about the
"killer dog" fighting just to please his master.

It sounds like they may have been white-washing it a bit.

We normally have the sound down during the ads, but we caught the one
with the dogs looking at the camera and saying that they'd been trained
to keep fighting while injured,

That, too, wouldn't count as truth, in my opinion.

It always seems like it's one extreme or the other, when it comes to
the media.

sigh

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Important Public Health Announcement.
http://pajamasmedia.com/rogerkimball...-announcement/

The Democratic "poison pill" on drilling.
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/09/1...l-on-drilling/

The NYT (finally!) Discovers The Chicago Annenberg Challenge.
http://justoneminute.typepad.com/mai...mes-disco.html
http://globallabor.blogspot.com/2008...-ny-times.html

Ten Myths About Budget Deficits and Debt.
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Budget/bg2178.cfm

The Fallacy of 'Green Jobs'.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...reen_jobs.html

The two Americas: One likes kids, the other doesn't.
http://rightcoast.typepad.com/rightc...its-all-a.html

This is what happens when you don't build power plants.
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...ritain-warning

The Culture War's Decisive Battle has Begun.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/...ve_batt_1.html

The *Real* Google Agenda. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
http://pajamasmedia.com/edgelings/20...google-agenda/

Do you really want this person to be your new First Lady? (Be sure to read her *entire* thesis).
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8642.html

If this doesn't scare the **** out of you, you might be a fascist.
http://volokh.com/posts/1220243277.shtml