Electronic Tagging

Old May 12th 04, 11:18 AM
Rob Lee

Default Electronic Tagging

Hi All

Does anyone have any information about electronic tagging of dogs? I believe
its a requirement in certain European countries now how do you go about it?

many thanks

Robert Lee
www.dogtraining.2minutes2.com

---

Old May 12th 04, 08:45 PM
Tess

"Rob Lee" wrote in message
Hi All

Does anyone have any information about electronic tagging of dogs? I

believe
its a requirement in certain European countries now how do you go about

it?

many thanks

Robert Lee
www.dogtraining.2minutes2.com

---

Hi!

In Sweden you can choose to give your dog a permanent tattoo in the ear or
an electronic tag. My dog I got now has a tattoo because the kennel must
id-mark the the puppy before it leaves the kennel. But my former dog had an
electronic tag.

The bad thing with electronic tagging in Sweden is that it's only a few
places who has an "tag reader" not every police station as you may think..
If you choose to give your dog an electronic tag and want to travel outside
Sweden with your dog, you need to bring with you a "tag reader" beacuse when
you returns to Sweden the customs check maybe not own one!! And the
electronic tag can also wander in the dog's body.. so maybe when you need to
read the tag you don't find it around the shoulders, instead you maybe will
find it in a leg or something.. It's cheaper and faster to give your dog an
electronic tag but as I told you, when the police find my dog they maybe
don't find or can't read a electronic tag and let the dog die or give him
away.

Tess

Old May 12th 04, 08:55 PM
Jo Wolf

The problem with the microchip moving in the dog's body (just under the
skin, not in a body cavity) has been largely solved by changes in the
product in recent years. Now it is rare to see a chip that has moved at
all, and then not much more than a few inches. It is routinely inserted
by needle between the shoulder blades.

Canada uses chips for registration of purebred dogs with the Canadian
Kennel Club. The AKC will be using it for more and more identification
purposes in the next few years. It's not just in Europe.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia