Hey, Robin! Agility.

Old September 28th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Default Hey, Robin! Agility.

I've been keeping a close eye on the FCI worlds (Maybe's mom and
aunt are doing very well) and saw this German team:
http://fciagility2008.cleanrun.com/g...m-team-jumpers

While the first is not quite a Min Pin, my first thought was:
Zipper!!!

Plustoo, watch to the end of the German runs, the last is very
entertaining and very excellent.

Old September 28th 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

"Rocky" wrote in message
I've been keeping a close eye on the FCI worlds (Maybe's mom and
aunt are doing very well) and saw this German team:
http://fciagility2008.cleanrun.com/g...m-team-jumpers

While the first is not quite a Min Pin, my first thought was:
Zipper!!!

Plustoo, watch to the end of the German runs, the last is very
entertaining and very excellent.

Very fun to watch - especially that last one. What a cute pair!

To my eyes, some rather ugly handling on the first two runs, though,
especially going into the weaves, and so many front crosses.... the middle
handler didn't seem to have anything to use BUT a front cross, which is a
bit surprising for someone at that level.

Old September 28th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"sionnach" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

To my eyes, some rather ugly handling on the first two
runs, though, especially going into the weaves, and so many
front crosses.... the middle handler didn't seem to have
anything to use BUT a front cross, which is a bit
surprising for someone at that level.

Here's Maybe's mom:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=De2xlAuic_g

Old September 28th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

sionnach wrote:
"Rocky" wrote in message

I've been keeping a close eye on the FCI worlds (Maybe's mom and
aunt are doing very well) and saw this German team:
http://fciagility2008.cleanrun.com/g...m-team-jumpers

While the first is not quite a Min Pin, my first thought was:
Zipper!!!

Plustoo, watch to the end of the German runs, the last is very
entertaining and very excellent.

Very fun to watch - especially that last one. What a cute pair!

To my eyes, some rather ugly handling on the first two runs, though,
especially going into the weaves, and so many front crosses.... the middle
handler didn't seem to have anything to use BUT a front cross, which is a
bit surprising for someone at that level.

Agreed on all counts. And U.S. wins Gold in Large dog (Marcus Topps and
Juice) and Gold in Small (Marcie and Wave)
Old September 28th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

"Robin Nuttall" wrote:

Agreed on all counts.

I meant to add - the third handler has a *perfectly* timed rear change of
direction at the weave entrance instead of the ugly RFP's the other two
used (the first nearly failed doing it, and the second did fail), and a
stunning blind cross between the last jump of the serpentine and the first
of the threadle.
I particularly noticed those because those two maneuvers are nearly always
my choice, along with "switches". I tend to almost never cross in the
strictest sense of the term; IOW when there's a change of side it's more
often a matter of me pivoting without actually crossing the dog's path.

And U.S. wins Gold in Large dog (Marcus Topps and Juice) and Gold in Small
(Marcie and Wave)

I'll have to look for those runs.

BTW, Cenau & I start his first agility class tomorrow night - eek!
I expect we'll mostly have silliness.

Old September 28th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

sionnach wrote:
"Robin Nuttall" wrote:

I particularly noticed those because those two maneuvers are nearly always
my choice, along with "switches". I tend to almost never cross in the
strictest sense of the term; IOW when there's a change of side it's more
often a matter of me pivoting without actually crossing the dog's path.

The third handler was deceptive because he sort of flailed around a lot,
his hands seemed to be going everywhere at once. Sort of like ichabod
crane on speed. But he was always in the right place at the exact right
time and his dog was blazing fast. Most importantly, the dog knew
exactly what all that flailing was all about.

And U.S. wins Gold in Large dog (Marcus Topps and Juice) and Gold in Small
(Marcie and Wave)

I'll have to look for those runs.

BTW, Cenau & I start his first agility class tomorrow night - eek!
I expect we'll mostly have silliness.

Zipper was at a demo yesterday all day. On the one hand, he had good
attitude and mostly good attention, with really no desire at all to go
run off and play with other dogs. On the other hand, apparently weave
poles are only weave poles if they're indoors. Outide in somewhat long
grass? Acted like he'd never seen them before in his life.

So...guess what we'll be working on this week!

Old September 28th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

"Robin Nuttall" wrote:

But he was always in the right place at the exact right time and his dog
was blazing fast. Most importantly, the dog knew exactly what all that
flailing was all about.

Yup!

Zipper was at a demo yesterday all day. On the one hand, he had good
attitude and mostly good attention, with really no desire at all to go
run off and play with other dogs.

That's definitely a plus.

On the other hand, apparently weave
poles are only weave poles if they're indoors. Outide in somewhat long
grass? Acted like he'd never seen them before in his life.

So...guess what we'll be working on this week!

Heh.

Old September 29th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Robin Nuttall said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

And U.S. wins Gold in Large dog (Marcus Topps and Juice)

Rear crosser extra-ordinaire. A well-deserved placement.