Need advice. My dog is dying

Old October 4th 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
dave

Default Need advice. My dog is dying

Night before last he went blind. Noticed his eyes were completely red when
they used to be brown. I took him to the vet yesterday and the blood test
showed he had no platelets in his blood. The vet said his eyes were full of
blood. Small spots of blood on the tip of his tongue. The vet also said
his blood pressure was around 200/100.

My dog is about 12 years old and up till now had always been healthy. This
all comes as a shock to me. Has anybody ever heard of an affliction such as
this? The vet recommends putting him to sleep because the problem will only
get worse and because he's an outside dog he won't cope with being blind to
well.

Thanks,
Dave

Old October 5th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

"dave" nospam wrote in message
Night before last he went blind. Noticed his eyes were completely red
when they used to be brown. I took him to the vet yesterday and the blood
test showed he had no platelets in his blood. The vet said his eyes were
full of blood. Small spots of blood on the tip of his tongue. The vet
also said his blood pressure was around 200/100.

My dog is about 12 years old and up till now had always been healthy.
This all comes as a shock to me. Has anybody ever heard of an affliction
such as this? The vet recommends putting him to sleep because the problem
will only get worse and because he's an outside dog he won't cope with
being blind to well.

If it was only blindness he was coping with, I'd keep him around. Dogs (even
outside dogs) can adjust to being blind, but it isn't. The blindness seems
to me from what you've said to be just the most visible symptom.

Platelets are crucial in your (and his) body's ability to keep blood where
its supposed to be (I.e. inside the body, out of the eyes etc). Something
else is causing his platelet count to be low (I'm assuming he had some, just
not very many).

Its never easy, but my gut reaction would be to give him a peaceful end and
euthanize him, rather than risk him bleeding out internally.

Dale

Old October 5th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

"Dale Atkin" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Its never easy, but my gut reaction would be to give him a
peaceful end and euthanize him, rather than risk him
bleeding out internally.

It's certainly not easy and, while the solution may be
straightforward to some, I suggest a second hands-on diagnosis
from a vet.

Old October 5th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Dale Atkin" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Its never easy, but my gut reaction would be to give him a
peaceful end and euthanize him, rather than risk him
bleeding out internally.

It's certainly not easy and, while the solution may be
straightforward to some, I suggest a second hands-on diagnosis
from a vet.

Certainly can't hurt if you're not sure.

Dale

Old October 5th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
SteveB

The kindest thing you have ever done for this dog for his whole life would
be to do what needs to be done. I did not say the easiest thing, though.

Best Wishes

Steve