drafting: my wagon conversions

Old May 20th 04, 05:08 PM
Kyler Laird

Default drafting: my wagon conversions

I've been asked to describe my wagon conversions so I compiled a
long-winded narration filled with lots of history that's mostly
for my own reference but could be useful to others considering
such a project.
http://lairds.org/Kyler/projects/dog_wagon/narration

--kyler
Old May 20th 04, 10:08 PM
Kyler Laird

http://lairds.org/Kyler/projects/dog_wagon/narration

Oh, I probably should have mentioned that it's a *heavily* image-laden
narrative. Expect it to take awhile for everything on a slow
connection. (It's much easier for me to describe things with photos
and I ramble enough as it is.)

Also, I hope that anyone with questions, suggestions, whatever about
the projects will post here. There's a real dearth of discussion on
this topic. I suspect that there are a lot of dogs out there who
would be pleased to have a useful job like this and I'm quite happy to
share what we've learned about it. It's greatly enhanced my family
relationships.

Thank you.

--kyler
Old May 21st 04, 08:29 PM
Jess Knoch

Kyler Laird wrote:
http://lairds.org/Kyler/projects/dog_wagon/narration

Also, I hope that anyone with questions, suggestions, whatever about
the projects will post here. There's a real dearth of discussion on
this topic.

Thanks for posting stuff about this. Some of us reading don't do drafting
now, but might like to get into it when our dogs are older ^_^ so this is
very interesting!

Jess K

Old May 22nd 04, 03:08 AM
Kyler Laird

"Jess Knoch" writes:

Thanks for posting stuff about this. Some of us reading don't do drafting
now, but might like to get into it when our dogs are older ^_^ so this is
very interesting!

Hey! Thanks for the note.

Speaking of starting with an older dog, many people have asked me how I
trained Grazie to pull the wagon. Well, it wasn't the slow gentle intro
that we were taught in the KBMDC workshop. I pretty much put the harness
on her and we learned together as she immediately started pulling over
twice her weight. (I know...but she's doing fine a year later.)

We did have a couple of advantages though. The first is that Grazie has
been pulling me on 'blades/scooter/sled/bicycle since we found her. I
use "gee" and "haw" all the time, even when we're in the car.

The second advantage is that Grazie is shy and quite wary of new people.
This has been great on trails because if someone is coming, she will
pull *well* off the trail and watch the person pass. (I'm starting to
realize that our youngest isn't going to be around forever. It's hard
for me to imagine teaching another dog to pull off-lead in traffic like
she does.)

Anyway...with a young dog, you can start easing into draft work. There
are even "sacrificial trees" for them to drag along - a trivial weight,
but it gets them accustomed to the idea. (One of our dogs had a bad
experience with something behind her and it ruined her for pulling.)

Enjoy!

--kyler