games that overexcite dogs

Old October 13th 08, 11:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
McDog

Default games that overexcite dogs

This is a question especially for people who live in rural areas, and/
or have a lot of training experience. Toby, a stray mentioned below in
my question on calming games, needs off-leash reliability in the
presence of cats, chickens, sheep, motorcycles, etc. He is skinny
enough to get through sheep wire, so has to be trustworthy. It's not a
question of life or death, because I could give him away easily. There
are plenty of stockyards where he could be confined to catch vermin.
Just that would be a pretty boring life, because stockyard dogs tend
not to be walked, and are often chained 24/7. Often the only human
input they get is a bowl of kibble every day. (This is central Spain)
Toby needs to be reliable if he is to have an interesting life. He
spent at least two weeks wandering around a village and surroundings
and is still alive, with no reports of misbehavior, so he starts from
a strong position.

Are there any games or activities that you would not play with this
dog? I have cut out ball games in case they encourage him to chase
anything that moves. This was after he chased our sheep. Luckily he
took them in a circle that came back to me, and he left them and came
when called. Toby could well have some sheepdog in him. So, what would
you guys NOT do with this dog, who is a very promising youngster, and
who has to have well-nigh impeccable behavior around livestock,
Old October 13th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

McDog spoke these words of wisdom in news:f9ad5fa6-
:

[...]

I would train him in recall skills, and perhaps herding. He seems to have a
talent for it, so you may as well make him useful.
Old October 14th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
McDog

On 13 oct, 16:07, diddy none wrote:

I would train him in recall skills, and perhaps herding. He seems to have a
talent for it, so you may as well make him useful.

Yes, recall skills are essential. He doesn't have an intense interest
in sheep, the way that border collies do, probably just chased them
because they ran away from him. The sheep tend to run round buildings
in a circle, so maybe he brought them round to me because that was the
way the lead sheep ran, round the building I was standing by. Will see
how he develops. Anyhow, thanks, diddy, hope you are yours are doing
fine.

Win: 10 x Zoo Hospital DS Games [email protected] Dog behavior 0 April 22nd 08 04:05 PM
games small dogs play Kimber[_2_] Dog behavior 38 July 25th 07 07:32 AM
Olympic Games Rene Dogs - general 0 August 10th 03 12:40 AM
Olympic Games Rene Dog health 0 August 10th 03 12:40 AM
Olympic Games Rene Dog health 0 August 10th 03 12:40 AM