Durable Chew Toy Suggestions

Old October 18th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
vct1188

Default Durable Chew Toy Suggestions

Hi- My dog is an excessive and very active chewer. We have bought him
all different types of chew toys and he seems to be able to tear them
all apart. We have found the rubber ones seem to last at least for a
few hours and the red Kong has made it the longest. Just wanted to
know if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations for the most
durable chew toy they have found. These toys are not cheap and I am
hoping to find a few that last so I am not spending $10-20 for a toy
that lasts only a day.
Old October 18th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa[_2_]

Wow. how long does it take for him to destroy a red Kong?

have you tried the black Kongs? they are supposed to be more durable.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:45:39 -0700 (PDT), vct1188
wrote:

Hi- My dog is an excessive and very active chewer. We have bought him
all different types of chew toys and he seems to be able to tear them
all apart. We have found the rubber ones seem to last at least for a
few hours and the red Kong has made it the longest. Just wanted to
know if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations for the most
durable chew toy they have found. These toys are not cheap and I am
hoping to find a few that last so I am not spending $10-20 for a toy
that lasts only a day.

Best Wishes,

Nessa
----
Dog Mom to:
Hannah age 6.5 Pitador rescued age 9 weeks
Harley age 10 months Landseer Newfoundland
(Angel) Bagel went to Rainbow Bridge 9/18/08 my Newfandstuff age 8.5
Old October 18th 08, 01:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot[_2_]

Kongs are the only thing around here that last any length of time. I would
invest in the black kongs they are the toughest they make.

Celeste

Old October 18th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
vct1188

The red kong has lasted 4 days now but it is showing signs of wear
badly. He got a little piece off it yesterday so it's only a matter of
time. I bought the black kong bone that you can put treats in the
ends, and that was done in a day. I thought about the normal black
kong but didnt want to get the same thing I already have in red
because he will get bored. I may not have a choice though! Thanks for
the suggestion.

Old October 18th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"vct1188" wrote in message

I thought about the normal black
kong but didnt want to get the same thing I already have in red
because he will get bored.

My dog has several Kongs (and Kong-like toys) and rotates through them
without seeming to get bored. She has lots of other toys, as well,
though. FWIW the black ones are supposedly more durable than the red.

Years ago, I bought a few toys made from recycled rubber. They outlived
the dog they were bought for, even though he was a crazy strong chewer.
I don't recall what brand they were (Tire Biter?), but they were similar
to these:

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-12372

--
Shelly

Old October 19th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
vct1188

Years ago, I bought a few toys made from recycled rubber. *They outlived
the dog they were bought for, even though he was a crazy strong chewer.
I don't recall what brand they were (Tire Biter?), but they were similar
to these:

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flyp....

--
Shellyhttp://www.cat-sidh.net(the Mother Ship)http://esther.cat-sidh.net(Letters to Esther)

I checked out the link and we got Sampson the bone shaped one and the
large tire shaped one a few weeks ago. The tire was in pieces in our
back yard.... and the bone shaped one had little rubber knobs that he
chewed off in 10 minutes and my vaccum cleaner was not amused

Today I went and got him a black kong and another one by Petstages
called an Orka Jack. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Old October 19th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyrie

"vct1188" wrote in message
Hi- My dog is an excessive and very active chewer. We have bought him
all different types of chew toys and he seems to be able to tear them
all apart. We have found the rubber ones seem to last at least for a
few hours and the red Kong has made it the longest. Just wanted to
know if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations for the most
durable chew toy they have found. These toys are not cheap and I am
hoping to find a few that last so I am not spending $10-20 for a toy
that lasts only a day.

Bully sticks (dried and/or smoked bull penises) can make a great chew. It
takes Kiba a long time to chew a 12" bully stick, but he's very small (17#).
There is a braided bully stick that is basically three large ones braided
together that the seller claims will stand up to heavy chewers. They also
come in full size. (over three feet! Poor cows...) Since they are a natural
product, they're meant to be eaten, albeit slowly, and they're safer than
the rubber ones when they do get pieces off, since they are totally
digestible. My daughter's big shepherd cross could chew up a six inch bully
in about 15 minutes, so that would not be a very cost-effective option for
you. But the large, braided ones might be an idea. Kiba actually tried to
chew through the box when I brought home a box of the smoked ones from the
post office.

Be warned, bully sticks, especially the smoked ones, smell. They're worse
when wet, but even dry my husband finds them yucky-smelling. I don't mind
so much, but then I'm nuts for this little dog and put up with lots that
others might not!
--
Phyrie
Kiba the Cav's Pics:

Old October 19th 08, 09:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Phyrie wrote:
Bully sticks (dried and/or smoked bull penises) can make a great chew.

My dogs can put one away in about 10 minutes. Here's
another vote for black kongs. Red ones hold up better than
most other toys but black ones tend to last about a month,
which isn't bad.

Old October 19th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyrie

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
Phyrie wrote:
Bully sticks (dried and/or smoked bull penises) can make a great chew.

My dogs can put one away in about 10 minutes. Here's
another vote for black kongs. Red ones hold up better than
most other toys but black ones tend to last about a month,
which isn't bad.

A friend of mine has a dog that eats one that fast too. Makes it very cost
prohibitive. I was thinking maybe the really big, braided ones might last
longer. I meant to suggest them simply as an addition to black Kongs or
other appropriate chews, not instead of them. Kiba has quite a few choices,
but he's so much smaller than your dogs that his toys would no doubt be
toast in seconds at your house.

I just ordered some puzzle/treating type toys that were on sale at Karen
Pryor's site. While they are not chew toys, they provide stimulation of a
different sort, making your dog to work the toy in order to get rewarded
with treats from inside the toy. Kiba loves that kind of thing, and will
work hard to lick the last bit of peanut butter from a piece of beef rib
jammed inside a hollow ball. That toy is my own invention, but he's figured
out how to get the bones out of the ball way too easily, which led me to
order some new toys.

I took a pic of the ball with bones. I've since hot-glued the bones
together. Hopefully they won't come out so readily.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phyrie/...7602686758930/

Old October 22nd 08, 11:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
vct1188

On Oct 19, 4:28*am, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article ,

*Here's another vote for black kongs. *Red ones hold up better than
most other toys but black ones tend to last about a month,
which isn't bad.

Well so far the original black kong has made it's stay longer than the
rest! The orka jack has also held up quite well so hopefully I have
finally found some toys that can take a serious chewing!

New Durable Dog Bed Masha Dog behavior 1 November 1st 06 02:39 PM
New Durable Dog Bed [email protected] Dog breeds 0 November 1st 06 06:22 AM
New Durable Dog Bed [email protected] Dog health 0 November 1st 06 06:18 AM
What is the most durable dog toy? Judith Althouse Dog behavior 12 July 29th 06 12:44 AM
Truly long lasting chew toys - any suggestions? Plin Dog behavior 3 April 3rd 06 06:18 AM