Harley Humps Hannah

Old October 19th 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa[_2_]

Default Harley Humps Hannah

I'm not one for alliteration but in this case it works...

background:

Harley a lovely SHY puppy of 78 pounds (a small too thin newfie
puppy) who's really getting manners (including Housebreaking believe
it or not) was taken from his litter mate brother on Tuesday night to
join our family.

Hannah a lovely if goofy pitador (lab pit mix) about 62 flabby pounds
but full of **** and vinegar. she finally has a playmate as Bagel had
in the last few years stopped playing (due to pain we now know) while
Hannah is 6.5 years old, she' really likes to play still so this is
great.

Harley was neutered 9/30/08
Hannah was spayed entirely too young (7 weeks)

oh Hannah was dominant to 110 bagel and would HUMP his head when he
came down the basement steps. Bagel stood there and took it from her.

Friday night he and Hannah started playing in the backyard
(supervised) it involves a lot of rearing up on hind legs and
clashing. and they love it. and I'm ok with it.

they also play chase and tumble.

Harley is starting to hump Hannah during play feeling his wild
cheerios as it were.

my question:

would you let them work it out as Harley figures out his place with
her?

I normally am a "NO HUMPING" kind of mom. But I'm not sure with
these two if I should let them work it out themselves or not.

Best Wishes,

Nessa
----
Dog Mom to:
Hannah age 6.5 Pitador rescued age 9 weeks
Harley age 10 months Landseer Newfoundland
(Angel) Bagel went to Rainbow Bridge 9/18/08 my Newfandstuff age 8.5
Old October 19th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Nessa wrote:

Harley is starting to hump Hannah during play feeling his wild
cheerios as it were.

my question:

would you let them work it out as Harley figures out his place with
her?

I normally am a "NO HUMPING" kind of mom. But I'm not sure with
these two if I should let them work it out themselves or not.

So much of that is just play, but I'd be telling him "off" or pulling
him off without much fanfare. OTOH, if he starts humping and Hannah
says "lets run instead" and it is all very brief as a result, no big
deal - ignore it and let her handle the situation.

He's going to be a lovely dog. His dog skills are obviously better than
his people skills, but he's able to do some real coping with people and
that will progress to better social skills before you know it.

BTW - He is totally adorable.

--
Janet Boss
Old October 19th 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dale Atkin

"Nessa" wrote....
would you let them work it out as Harley figures out his place with
her?

I normally am a "NO HUMPING" kind of mom. But I'm not sure with
these two if I should let them work it out themselves or not.

Generally I'm a 'work it out themselves' kinda guy.

As long as no one is in danger of being hurt by it (bad back, bad hips, bad
knees etc) then I think I'd keep an eye on it, but let them settle it on
their own. I'd watch for escalation though.

Dale

Old October 20th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
So much of that is just play, but I'd be telling him "off" or pulling
him off without much fanfare. OTOH, if he starts humping and Hannah
says "lets run instead" and it is all very brief as a result, no big
deal - ignore it and let her handle the situation.

That's how we've been dealing with Jack's humping and it's
diminishing (a lot!) without having to do more. If there
were serious objections from the humpee I'd intervene more
directly but the dogs really do communicate well about this
kind of thing.

Old October 20th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa

this morning I pulled him off ONCE as she stood there half a sleep...
after that she seemed to get that she didn't have to let him do it and
she is holding her own quite nicely with him with the humping.

he's so scared of humans but so brave with the dogs....

On Oct 19, 8:40*am, Janet Boss

Janet Bosswww.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Introducing Harley Nessa Dog behavior 64 October 28th 08 11:02 AM
dog humps new clothes mike Dog behavior 1 December 31st 07 12:45 AM
Update on Bagel and Hannah Nessa Dog behavior 23 October 10th 03 10:26 PM
Update on Bagel and Hannah Nessa Dog behavior 0 October 9th 03 02:14 PM
Update on Bagel and Hannah Nessa Dog behavior 0 October 9th 03 02:14 PM