The Rash: The Sequel

Old October 21st 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default The Rash: The Sequel

Harriet's rash is back. It's nearly as bad as it was the first time
around. It's mostly on her belly and the insides of her knees, with
a few stray bumps on her shoulder and outer thigh. Of course, I
didn't notice until *after* the vet's office was closed, so I can't
even make an appointment until morning.

I don't know what to think. I wonder if she's been re-exposed to
something, or if the tapering off of the prednisone has allowed the
reaction to reintensify?

Aaack!

--
Shelly
Old October 21st 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
vct1188

What kind of dog is Harriet and what color is she? Sampson is white
and gets a bad rash whenever he goes outside and digs or lays in the
dirt for more than 5 minutes. He gets it all over his tummy, inside of
his knees and his chest. He has special shampoo that is hypo-
allergenic and the vet gave us the dog version of Benadryl since he
has allergies to dirt apparently. What dog actually gets dirt
allergies?

Shellyhttp://www.cat-sidh.net(the Mother Ship)http://esther.cat-sidh.net(Letters to Esther)

Old October 21st 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Shelly spoke these words of wisdom in
09:

Harriet's rash is back. It's nearly as bad as it was the first time
around. It's mostly on her belly and the insides of her knees, with
a few stray bumps on her shoulder and outer thigh. Of course, I
didn't notice until *after* the vet's office was closed, so I can't
even make an appointment until morning.

I don't know what to think. I wonder if she's been re-exposed to
something, or if the tapering off of the prednisone has allowed the
reaction to reintensify?

Aaack!

Makes one wonder about staph, especially since it's on the heels of her
surgery.
Perhaps even MRSA
Old October 21st 08, 06:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

vct1188 said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

He has special shampoo that is hypo-
allergenic and the vet gave us the dog version of Benadryl
since he has allergies to dirt apparently.

FWIW, human Benadryl is safe for dogs and is probably less
expensive than the dog version (Which I've never heard of - what
makes it different?). Your vet can tell you the correct dose;
typically, per pound, they can have double the human dose. For
my dogs, that's one regular strength pill.

Old October 21st 08, 11:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..

Makes one wonder about staph, especially since it's on the heels of
her
surgery.
Perhaps even MRSA

I wouldn't think that MRSA would have responded to just one round of
cephalexin. On the other hand, she finished her antibiotics on Saturday
or Sunday, so the timing is a little suspect. Staph hadn't occurred to
me. I'll definitely be asking about it. Thanks!

--
Shelly

Old October 21st 08, 11:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"vct1188" wrote in message
What kind of dog is Harriet and what color is she?

Fawn and white Boxer.

Sampson is white and gets a bad rash whenever he goes outside and digs
or lays in the dirt for more than 5 minutes.

Harriet hasn't had that sort of access to the outdoors. Walks only,
since her surgery.

He gets it all over his tummy, inside of
his knees and his chest. He has special shampoo that is hypo-
allergenic and the vet gave us the dog version of Benadryl since he
has allergies to dirt apparently.

Harriet was already on Benadryl (50mg 3x/day) when she had the first
break-out of this rash.

What dog actually gets dirt allergies?

There can be mites in the dirt. It also has a blue million different
components (any of which can change from one location to the next), any
one of which could be an allergen for your dog. If nothing else, dirt
can irritate the skin if it's not washed off quickly. And depending on
where you live, there may be chemicals on the lawn that could cause
irritation.

--
Shelly

Old October 21st 08, 11:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa[_2_]

On 21 Oct 2008 05:27:57 GMT, Rocky wrote:

vct1188 said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

He has special shampoo that is hypo-
allergenic and the vet gave us the dog version of Benadryl
since he has allergies to dirt apparently.

FWIW, human Benadryl is safe for dogs and is probably less
expensive than the dog version (Which I've never heard of - what
makes it different?). Your vet can tell you the correct dose;
typically, per pound, they can have double the human dose. For
my dogs, that's one regular strength pill.

Dog Benydryl comes in larger doses so you don't have to give so many
pills..... same stuff bigger dose

I just buy the huge bottles of benydryl at Costco... Hannah has so
many rashes she's like a cheap hooker.

Best Wishes,

Nessa
----
Dog Mom to:
Hannah age 6.5 Pitador rescued age 9 weeks
Harley age 10 months Landseer Newfoundland
(Angel) Bagel went to Rainbow Bridge 9/18/08 my Newfandstuff age 8.5
Old October 21st 08, 11:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Rocky" wrote in message

FWIW, human Benadryl is safe for dogs and is probably less
expensive than the dog version

And generic is cheaper still. I'm paying US$4.00 for a 100 tablet
bottle.

--
Shelly

Old October 21st 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
vct1188

On Oct 21, 6:25*am, Nessa wrote:

Dog Benydryl comes in larger doses so you don't have to give so many
pills..... same stuff bigger dose

I am going to call my vet and see if what Sampson is taking is
actually Benadryl. It probably is, just a different dose maybe a
generic name. If it is, I am definitely going to go and find the
cheapest kind out there. That stuff adds up after awhile.

I just buy the huge bottles of benydryl at Costco... Hannah has so
many rashes she's like a cheap hooker.

That got me laughing this morning even before my coffee! Thanks!
Old October 21st 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

The soonest I could get an appointment was noon tomorrow. I'll
definitely be bringing up the possibility of a staph infection. On
thinking further about it, the initial timeline fits with when she
finished her post-op antibiotics. If that's what it is, the good news
is that it doesn't seem likely that it's MRSA, since MRSA doesn't
respond to cephalexin.

Obviously, it could be something else entirely, or the original
diagnosis may have been correct. I really don't want to do another
round of pred, though, especially since it's obvious that the problem
will just recur when she starts to taper off it.

--
Shelly

chest rash Amalia Kinney Dog health 1 December 15th 06 03:42 AM
Rash on Face Jim Dog health 7 December 10th 05 09:00 PM
rash kayalwin Dog health 0 September 23rd 05 02:28 AM
rash curt Dog health 2 July 26th 03 03:19 PM
rash curt Dog health 0 July 26th 03 01:50 PM