Standard Schnauzers ?

Old October 26th 03, 03:49 PM
Kersplat

Default Standard Schnauzers ?

Hello everyone - I've been lurking here for a while and am impressed by the
level of dog knowledge that resides here.

I would like to hear what it is like to live day-to-day with a standard
schnauzer. I've been doing a lot of research on them with the idea that in a
year or so I will be bringing one home with me. A rescue first, I think. I'm
going to the obedience competition in Lynchburg in January, to see if any SS
are there.

I like the intelligence, the trainability, the size, the natural guard
ability, the potential for obedience competitions, the history, and the
quirkiness of these dogs. That they are cute is just a bonus point in my
book. I know that they are very headstrong, require a firm (yet gentle)
hand, can be destructive if not sufficiently entertained (the intelligence
cuts both ways), and require regular grooming.

What is it like, day to day with a standard schnauzer in the house? I have 3
cats already, do not have a fenced yard but DO have a beautiful park right
across the street (and will be buying nice long leads so that they can run
without getting away when its time to play) and will be training her (him?)
to stay with me. I know that once determined to chase something they will
just run, without regard to my calling them back. (To ease y'alls concerns,
all of my cats are spayed/neutered, and the new dog will be as well)

Does anyone here have/breed Standards?

--Splat