More fun with PETA whackos

Old October 24th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

Default More fun with PETA whackos

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...a-kittens.html

Are they for real?

Suja

Old October 24th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Suja wrote:
Are they for real?

Clearly the answer is that no, they are not. They've
recently been assailed by feminists for sexist
advertisements and Newkirk has responded that 1) they can't
be sexist because she's a woman (and how Republican is that
argument?), and 2) they're trying to attract attention and
nothing attracts attention like nekkid women so the
advertisements are therefore okay. Then there was that Ben
and Jerry's stunt. Over the past few years this kind of
crap has cost them a lot of supporters, and as they continue
to bleed support they get further and further out there
in order to attract attention, which costs them more
support, repeat ad nauseum.

PETA has always been pretty marginal (I've never understood
why mainstream people who care about animals made such a
fuss over PETA, which has very little agency in the real
world) and they're increasingly completely irrelevant.

Old October 24th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Suja" wrote in news:6med7uFgbpmtU1
@mid.individual.net:

Are they for real?

They kill a *lot* of animals, which seems pretty real to me. Out of
8362 domestic animals that went through their Norfolk, Virginia
shelter last year, 17 were adopted out and 1815 killed. Their
wildlife numbers are just as horrible. The numbers for 2006 were
even worse, so maybe things are improving in PeTAland?

And tangentially, their "reclaimed by owner" stats are really, really
high, compared to other shelters. In 2007, 6466 out of a total of
8362 animals were reclaimed. If you go to the Virginia Animal
Reporting website and search through city/county shelters and pounds,
their reclaimed numbers seem to be *much* lower than PeTA's.

Their publicity crap, though? Every time they pull this sort of
stupid bullshit, they alienate more of their supporters. Or at least
I hope so.

--
Shelly
Old October 25th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Shelly said in part...
Every time they pull this sort of stupid bullshit, they alienate more of
their supporters..........
________________________
Yes, they are making it increasingly difficult to be a supporter. The
campaign that insisted Ben and Jerry's should use human breast milk
instead of cow's milk just about did it for me.

Be Free.....Judy

Old October 25th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judith Althouse wrote:
Yes, they are making it increasingly difficult to be a supporter. The
campaign that insisted Ben and Jerry's should use human breast milk
instead of cow's milk just about did it for me.

They've since claimed it was satirical, to make a point
about the treatment of dairy cows.

Old October 25th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Rocky wrote:
(Melinda Shore) said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:
They've since claimed it was satirical, to make a point
about the treatment of dairy cows.

Plan B.

I tend to think that it was Plan A and that they're some
combination of incompetent, and tone deaf, and juvenile. I
think it's pretty much of a piece with Newkirk claiming that
their use of women's bodies to sell their agenda can't be
sexist because she's a woman, herself. As nearly as I can
tell it's just one big clown show.

I spent the week in San Jose, got back very late last night,
and picked up the dogs this afternoon. At the kennel they
said that they'd just been about to let my dogs out to run
and asked if I wanted to let them loose before taking them
home. I said "sure." When Emmett saw me he started jumping
up and down and catching major air, and the rest of it was
like all those times in other people's dog yards, having
their dogs ricochet off me during their "play" (when I came
home from picking up Image lo, those many years ago, I found
paw prints on my shoulder blades when I got home). They
don't do that at home. It's so good having them back.
[While I was gone Slick apparently explained to Jack how to
resist going into the dog box, so now they're both loaded
heinie-first.]

Old October 25th 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Judith Althouse wrote:

Yes, they are making it increasingly difficult to be a supporter. The
campaign that insisted Ben and Jerry's should use human breast milk
instead of cow's milk just about did it for me.

Oh boy. I don't want to sound mean, but I can't think of any way of
responding to you that won't sound mean. And I think it's important
to say this out in the open.

PETA is making it "increasingly difficult to be a supporter"??? Good
lord, what would it take to educate you about them at this point? A
brick over the head? PETA is evil, and I mean TRULY evil. It takes
barely any reading between the lines to see that.

And in case you're wondering, it's the organization's *leadership*
that I'm calling evil, not the hapless folks like you that they've
conned into donating money. The fact that they take advantage of
people like you is, IMHO, one of the vilest things that they do
(and considering some of the other things they've done, that's
saying quite a lot).

Dianne

ugh, PETA BethInAK Dog behavior 111 January 10th 08 10:00 PM
Anti-PETA ads in D.C. GAUBSTER2 Dog health 2 February 28th 04 04:22 PM