Jeff King found guilty of illegal hunting

Old October 25th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Jeff King found guilty of illegal hunting

[]
I know several people are following the Discovery Channel's
Iditarod miniseries and might be interested in this: last
spring Jeff King was indicted for illegally taking a moose
inside Denali National Park and for driving a motorized
vehicle there, as well. Yesterday he was found guilty of
the hunting violation and not guilty of the vehicle
violation. He hasn't been sentenced yet. Article at
http://newsminer.com/news/2008/oct/2...moose-killing/
[You'll see a bunch of references to Point Hope in the
comments - over 100 caribou were found slaughtered up
there. It's an Inuit village and the villagers aren't
talking.]

Old October 25th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Melinda said in part...
Yesterday he was found guilty of the hunting violation and not guilty of
the vehichle violation......
________________________
Melinda,
Wow, that is a surprise (that he was found guilty). I really enjoyed
reading all of the comments.
My thoughts are if this man can navigate the frozen tundra via dog
sled he certainly ought to be able to determine what land is legal to
hunt on. He will likely get a slap on the wrist.
I am curious about the Caribou massacre?

Be Free.....Judy

Old October 25th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judith Althouse wrote:
Wow, that is a surprise (that he was found guilty).

I was kind of surprised, too, but he comes off as arrogant
and may have alienated the jurors. It will be interesting
to see if Cabelas drops him. I can't imagine they want to
be associated with a poacher.

I am curious about the Caribou massacre?

http://www.adn.com/rural/story/539502.html There's a huge
problem with anti-Native racism in Alaska and this sort of
thing combined with Jeff's conviction tends to fan the
flames. People want to know why Jeff was arrested over one
moose when nobody is being held responsible for the caribou
slaughter.

Old October 26th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mark Shaw

Melinda Shore wrote:

I know several people are following the Discovery Channel's
Iditarod miniseries and might be interested in this: last
spring Jeff King was indicted for illegally taking a moose
inside Denali National Park and for driving a motorized
vehicle there, as well. Yesterday he was found guilty of
the hunting violation and not guilty of the vehicle
violation. He hasn't been sentenced yet. Article at
http://newsminer.com/news/2008/oct/2...moose-killing/

I wonder how far inside the boundaries he was - it's possible
the crime was inadvertant.

That's no excuse, of course, either legally or morally. It's a
hunter's responsibility to know where the lines are. So I don't
really have a point here, I'm just wondering.

More than several hundred meters would be kinda blatant.

--
Mark Shaw (And Baron) moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"There is no psychiatrist in the world
Old October 26th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Mark Shaw wrote:
I wonder how far inside the boundaries he was - it's possible
the crime was inadvertant.

That's what he's claiming. On the one hand apparently the
boundaries are really badly marked, and on the other hand
he's lived and hunted in that area for decades and had a GPS
with him at the time. On a third hand he moved the gutpile,
which for me kind of answers the whole question.

He's sponsored by Cabelas and is festooned with Cabelas
logos like a motor sports driver, so I'm curious to see what
they do. As far as I know he's the only musher they sponsor
but they've got big Jeff King spreads inside their catalogs.
They've also been a terrific supporter of the Iditarod and
while I don't give a crap if they drop Jeff I'd be sorry to
see them decrease their support for the race.

Old October 26th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mark Shaw

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article ,
Mark Shaw wrote:
I wonder how far inside the boundaries he was - it's possible
the crime was inadvertant.

That's what he's claiming. On the one hand apparently the
boundaries are really badly marked, and on the other hand
he's lived and hunted in that area for decades and had a GPS
with him at the time. On a third hand he moved the gutpile,
which for me kind of answers the whole question.

Well, per that last, opinions differ. Some people take them,
some bury them, some leave them for the magpies, others do what
makes the most sense for the area. So it might not be all that
much of an indicator.

But still.

He's sponsored by Cabelas and is festooned with Cabelas
logos like a motor sports driver, so I'm curious to see what
they do. As far as I know he's the only musher they sponsor
but they've got big Jeff King spreads inside their catalogs.
They've also been a terrific supporter of the Iditarod and
while I don't give a crap if they drop Jeff I'd be sorry to
see them decrease their support for the race.

Hmm, yes. Babies and bathwater. I do think they should do
something, though.

--
Mark Shaw (And Baron) moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite
Old October 27th 08, 12:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Suja wrote:
I got about this far before realizing that Jeff King != Lance Mackey.
Sadly, it was not the name, but the 'festooned with Cabela' comment that
allowed me to decipher. At least I'm no longer sad.

They're really easy to tell apart if you start paying
attention to the sport. Lance looks like he walked out of a
biker bar, Jeff looks like a NASCAR star. Lance hugs his
dogs, Jeff doesn't.

If you go to http://www.iditarod.com/insider/, under "FREE
INSIDER PREVIEWS" there's "02/20/2008 2008 Iditarod
Preview," which is 18 minutes long and includes interviews
with those guys and others shortly before the race that's
being shown on the Discovery Channel." In the middle
mushers talk about their dogs and their relationships with
their dogs and it's pretty interesting. And the video
footage is spectacular. It includes Jeff saying some things
that really pissed off Lance and set up some of the stuff
that happens during the race, including Jeff saying that he
doesn't mean to say that Lance got lucky with his dogs
before going on to say that Lance got lucky with his dogs.

Old October 27th 08, 12:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

That's what he's claiming.

Old October 27th 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Suja wrote:
What's the penalty for illegal moose hunting?

A fine and/or a few months in prison. I imagine he'll be
fined. This is his first time being prosecuted for this
sort of thing.

Does this mean Jeff has to
pull out of the Iditarod?

No, the only thing that will get you booted out of the race
is cheating or mistreatment of your dogs. Of course, if he
ends up in prison in March he won't make the race but it
won't have been the race committee's decision. But I'd be
quite shocked if he's sentenced to jail time.

Old October 27th 08, 01:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

They're really easy to tell apart if you start paying
attention to the sport.

Oh, I can tell them apart. Just not this morning, apparently. I kept
reading 'Jeff King' and picturing Lance Mackey instead.

What's the penalty for illegal moose hunting? Does this mean Jeff has to
pull out of the Iditarod?

Suja