springer pups just arrived help!!

Old October 26th 03, 06:23 PM
Shannie

Default springer pups just arrived help!!

Hi all,
Im new to this group and not too sure if it's where Im supposed to be :-/
We have a three yr old English Springer dog (black n white) and an 18mth old
English Springer bitch (liver n white) who mated and today she produced 8
wonderful big healthy puppies (4 of each colour mix)...they're huge and
she's very tired! She looks so thin now she's had her pups, but it's not
just that she's not pregnant anymore, she's bony..She was eating really well
all during her pregnancy but still she's very thin now, obviously she'll
need lots of care and attention in the coming weeks, Im looking for
suggestions foodwise to help build her up and should I get her a vitamin
supplement of some kind? Can anyone point me to a website which deals with
such things and if Im in the wrong group perhaps recommend the one I should
be in.

Thanks in advance
Shan (Ireland)

Old October 26th 03, 06:34 PM
Sue

Hi,
You should have been feeding your bitch a puppy/rearing/breeding diet for
the past three weeks or so.
You now need to introduce it gradually over the next week but let her eat as
much of her usual food as she wants -gradually replacing an extra 10% per
day with the higher nutritional value food.
Red Mills puppy should be available where you are.

Your bitch is too young for breeding & some of the nutrition which should
have gone into her own development has gone into the pups.
There are plenty of websites -just Google "puppy rearing". Why didn't you
do this ten weeks ago?
Sue

Old October 26th 03, 07:44 PM
Shannie

"Sue" wrote in message
Hi,
You should have been feeding your bitch a puppy/rearing/breeding diet for
the past three weeks or so.
You now need to introduce it gradually over the next week but let her eat

as
much of her usual food as she wants -gradually replacing an extra 10% per
day with the higher nutritional value food.
Red Mills puppy should be available where you are.

Your bitch is too young for breeding & some of the nutrition which should
have gone into her own development has gone into the pups.
There are plenty of websites -just Google "puppy rearing". Why didn't you
do this ten weeks ago?
Sue

Thanks sue,
appreciate the help.
I'd planned to do all this, but my mum died suddenly some weeks ago and I've
been reeling from that, some things just got left undone and time just ran
out
Again, thanks for the help.
Shan

"Shannie" wrote in message
Hi all,
Im new to this group and not too sure if it's where Im supposed to be

:-/

Old October 27th 03, 02:20 PM
Sue

Hello again Shan,
You need the tails docking & dewclaws removing before the pups are five days
old - Not something that can be put off till later.

My sympathy for your loss - I appreciate how it can knock everything else
aside.
Sue

Old October 27th 03, 05:20 PM
Diana

"Sue" wrote in message
Hello again Shan,
You need the tails docking & dewclaws removing before the pups are five

days
old - Not something that can be put off till later.

My sympathy for your loss - I appreciate how it can knock everything else
aside.
Sue

They don't *need* their tails cut off & they will actually find them quite
useful in later life when they want to play, run, balance & communicate with
other dogs ~ dew claws have their uses too for gripping and handling objects
~ but if you want to fit in with a popular open market, you don't have long
to get these things done.

Personally, I'd rather buy the whole dog.

Diana

Old October 27th 03, 05:35 PM

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Diana wrote:

They don't *need* their tails cut off

no, no dog *needs* it's tail docked. some breeds are at a
disadvantage when they are not docked, though. for some
breeds, like Boxers, who have thin, whip-like tails with no
layer of fat and no undercoat, the risk of them damaging their
tails is too great for me to recommend leaving them undocked.
ditto working hunting dogs, where the breeder has no idea at 3
days old which pups will be going to working homes and which
will be going to pet homes.

& they will actually find them quite useful in later life
when they want to play, run, balance & communicate with other
dogs ~

good lord. docked dogs are at absolutely *NO* disadvantage
when playing, running, balancing, or communicating with other
dogs.

dew claws have their uses too for gripping and handling
objects ~

yes, but if they are floppy and prone to snagging on things,
they should be removed when the dog is speutered. the post-op
discomfort will be minimal and could prevent a painful injury
in the future.

but if you want to fit in with a popular open market, you
don't have long to get these things done.

it's got FA to do with "markets."

Personally, I'd rather buy the whole dog.

personally, i'd rather have a healthy dog who is not likely to
go through the pain of tail damage or torn dew claws. YMMV.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
Old October 27th 03, 05:52 PM
Tee

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...

yes, but if they are floppy and prone to snagging on things,
they should be removed when the dog is speutered. the post-op
discomfort will be minimal and could prevent a painful injury
in the future.

I agree with your post. Dew claws should be done during the first few days
of life ideally. The *can* be done during s/n later but by then they've had
time to grow more a part of the leg. At a few days old, they clip off
easily.

--
Tara

Old October 27th 03, 05:54 PM

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Tee wrote:

I agree with your post. Dew claws should be done during the
first few days of life ideally. The *can* be done during s/n
later but by then they've had time to grow more a part of the
leg. At a few days old, they clip off easily.

absolutely. i was thinking more of rescue/used dogs who might
not have had them done when they were pups. if they aren't
removed when they're pups, at speuter is the next best time to
remove them.

Old October 27th 03, 05:59 PM
Tee

Oh, forgot to explain the new id & email. That brand new email account I
created just for usenet was getting over 200 emails a day so I ditched it
and created a new one. I've also been seeing more Taras on usenet so I
decided to change my id at the same time since I've never much cared for my
last initial.

--
Tara

Old October 27th 03, 05:59 PM

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Tee wrote:

Oh, forgot to explain the new id & email. That brand new
email account I created just for usenet was getting over 200
emails a day so I ditched it and created a new one.

i need to do that. after years of my un-munged address
getting almost no spam, it suddenly has gone nuts the past few
weeks. *******s!

I've also been seeing more Taras on usenet so I decided to
change my id at the same time since I've never much cared for
my last initial.

heh. i figured out it was you just as i hit send.