Vet visit # eleventy thousand

Old November 5th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

Default Vet visit # eleventy thousand

Comment of the day: How is it possible for a dog to have jugulars like a
thoroughbred and have veins in the leg like a 20 year old dehydrated
Chihuahua with Kidney disease?

Overall summary: Both dogs' physicals are good. Bloodwork pending. Wallet
has a big, huge hole in it. We finally broke the 4 figures in one vet visit
barrier, after flirting with it a couple of times.

Suja

Old November 5th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Suja wrote:
Comment of the day: How is it possible for a dog to have jugulars like a
thoroughbred and have veins in the leg like a 20 year old dehydrated
Chihuahua with Kidney disease?

Is this Khan? Has he had a lot of blood drawn in the past?
Greta had always been easy to get blood from but she had
bloodwork done so often that towards the end they had to
draw blood from her rear legs.

Overall summary: Both dogs' physicals are good. Bloodwork pending. Wallet
has a big, huge hole in it. We finally broke the 4 figures in one vet visit
barrier, after flirting with it a couple of times.

??? What was done, aside from the exams and the bloodwork?

[Out of curiosity I watched the Obama rally in Manassas on
CSPAN the other night and I could not believe my eyes. That
was one of the most diverse crowds I've seen anywhere, in
*Manassas*, that little craphole racist segregated backwater
I remember from my youth. The changes in Virginia are
incredible, wonderful to see]

Old November 5th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

Is this Khan?

Oh yeah.

Has he had a lot of blood drawn in the past?

More so lately, with all the various tests that have been run, but he's
always been a difficult draw. Comes home looking like a patchwork, having
been shaved and poked in multiple sites in an attempt to get some blood out
of him.

Greta had always been easy to get blood from but she had
bloodwork done so often that towards the end they had to
draw blood from her rear legs.

Right now, the only place we can draw from is the jugular. The regular spot
on either of the front legs don't work well. She tried the 'Dachshund vein'
on the hind leg, but no go. When it came time to redo his Tennessee panel,
his vein collapsed in the middle of administering the drug, so she had to
find another to do it (and he complained bitterly about it, so I know it
must've hurt something awful). And the 'thoroughbred jugular' where we
initially drew blood from - changed in size and shape (smaller, flatter) an
hour later. Next time, we'll forego all the hand-wringing and just do
jugular taps. It's less stressful all around, and hopefully, less painful.

??? What was done, aside from the exams and the bloodwork?

2x wellness exam
2x blood pressure
2x geriatric panel
2x distemper/parvo titre

1x Adrenal Panel (single biggest dent, at $345 + $60 overnight charge)
1x MSU thyroid panel

Soloxine, Proin, Animax.

Forgot to take in urine samples, so urinalysis to come later.

Total bill = $1251.87

[Out of curiosity I watched the Obama rally in Manassas on
CSPAN the other night and I could not believe my eyes. That
was one of the most diverse crowds I've seen anywhere, in
*Manassas*, that little craphole racist segregated backwater
I remember from my youth. The changes in Virginia are
incredible, wonderful to see]

Manassas has changed significantly. I suppose all of NoVA has changed
significantly, but more so the outlying suburbs. Loudon and Prince William
have gone blue! That's one trend that will be difficult to reverse.

I stopped at a little deli after the dogs' exam to grab lunch. The owner
was saying how there are no newspapers to be found. Me, I had my WaPo, but
it turns out, I got an extra copy as well, which I will be saving in mint
condition. I just need to figure out just how, so it won't all fall apart.
Last night was historic. And I'm really, really happy we've finally put the
stupid, non-existent Bradley effect to bed.

Suja

Old November 5th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Suja wrote:
Right now, the only place we can draw from is the jugular.

Yikes. That would scare me. Not for any rational reason,
just a gut reaction. I'm squeamish.

2x wellness exam
2x blood pressure
2x geriatric panel
2x distemper/parvo titre
1x Adrenal Panel (single biggest dent, at $345 + $60 overnight charge)
1x MSU thyroid panel

Whoa! to the adrenal panel. I never had that done for
Greta, despite her Cushingoid-y situation. We sometimes had
bills of over $1000 at Cornell but that generally involved
admission to the hospital for a complex of diagnostic tests.

Manassas has changed significantly. I suppose all of NoVA has changed
significantly, but more so the outlying suburbs. Loudon and Prince William
have gone blue! That's one trend that will be difficult to reverse.

A few months ago I took a look at Herndon on Google Maps,
and the area formerly known as Cooktown has been paved over
with overpriced housing developments. Good riddance to
Cooktown! Some stuff needs to be plowed under and paved
over. It was the black part of Herndon, and the pavement
and all city services stopped at the edge of it. I didn't
have black students in my classes until high school. Over
the past decade or two Virginia has become a much better
place.

Old November 5th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

Overall summary: Both dogs' physicals are good. Bloodwork pending. Wallet
has a big, huge hole in it. We finally broke the 4 figures in one vet visit
barrier, after flirting with it a couple of times.

ouch.

--
Janet Boss
Old November 5th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

Loudon and Prince William
have gone blue! That's one trend that will be difficult to reverse.

So amazing, isn't it? I was over-the-top thrilled to see PA and VA go
blue.

--
Janet Boss
Old November 5th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

Maybe I shouldn't have been, but I am shocked that Alaska re-elected a
convicted felon to the Senate. If his conviction stands, I think that the
senate shouldn't try to throw the bum out. Let's see how the Alaskans like
it when their senator tries to bring them pork from sitting in a jail cell
(yes, I know he'll likely not go to jail; that's the only flaw in my
otherwise wonderful plan).

I found that pretty shocking as well. Then again.......

--
Janet Boss
Old November 6th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

Yikes. That would scare me. Not for any rational reason,
just a gut reaction.

That sums it up for me as well. I don't like the idea of sticking big
needles in the neck. It was kind of bizarre the second time around, as the
syringe was just hanging off his neck, as the vet tried to figure out why
she wasn't drawing blood.

Whoa! to the adrenal panel. I never had that done for
Greta, despite her Cushingoid-y situation.

I am grateful that University of Tennessee actually developed a test that
would allow us to diagnose a condition that could previously not be
diagnosed. And that I live in this country, 'cause people around the globe
have to send their samples in to UTenn as well, and god knows that's not
gonna be cheap.

Over
the past decade or two Virginia has become a much better
place.

When I first moved down here, I was really dreading it. 'Virginia' conjured
up some pretty damning images in my head. I'm thankful that I live in the
fake part of Virginia, where there is diversity and tolerance and stuff.

Suja

Old November 6th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Janet Boss" wrote in message:

So amazing, isn't it? I was over-the-top thrilled to see PA and VA go
blue.

Now, now, let's give the people of PA some credit. They've been blue for a
looong time; turning it into a 'battleground state' was all illusion,
propagated by the McCain campaign. I was shocked to see Indiana turn blue,
happy that NC will likely be blue as well (provisional ballots typically
favor Democrats, and Obama has a lead already), and Missouri has had its
'bellweather' status stripped.

Old November 6th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kevin Michael Vail

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

Last night was historic. And I'm really, really happy we've finally put the
stupid, non-existent Bradley effect to bed.

I read on one blog (Huffingtonpost.com, I think) that the Bradley effect
never really was about race, but about guns...he came out big for a bill
that would have banned new gun purchases right at the time the bill
became really unpopular.
--
boss, sometimes i think * * * * * |* kevin michael vail
that our friend mehitabel * * * * |*

I Hate People - Reason # Three Hundred and Eleventy Gazillion Suja Dog behavior 2 December 21st 06 09:05 AM
Visit the Second Theresa Willis Dog behavior 8 December 29th 03 01:20 PM
Visit The First Lynn K. Dog behavior 12 December 21st 03 11:14 PM
Visit The First Lynn K. Dog behavior 0 December 21st 03 06:58 AM
Visit The First Lynn K. Dog behavior 0 December 21st 03 06:58 AM