So, .........

Old November 8th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default So, .........

In article ,
SteveB wrote:
no one have the problem of their dogs eating their catbox nuggets? I need
some help here.

It's probably more appropriate for .behavior than .health.
But it always comes back to the same two things: 1)
training, and 2) management. I never did find a way to
train my dogs to keep out of the catbox, so I went the
management route. If you can't train your dogs to knock it
off, put the catbox in a place the dogs can't get to, and DO
NOT use clumping cat litter.

Old November 8th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 09:59:04 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

no one have the problem of their dogs eating their catbox nuggets? I need
some help here.

Virtually every dog I've ever had wants to raid the cats' litterbox.
I don't let them do it. Keep the litterboxes where the dogs can't get
to them.

Old November 8th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
SteveB

no one have the problem of their dogs eating their catbox nuggets? I need
some help here.

Steve

--
-Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.-

Old November 8th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
S.Smith

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
no one have the problem of their dogs eating their catbox nuggets? I need
some help here.

It's probably more appropriate for .behavior than .health.
But it always comes back to the same two things: 1)
training, and 2) management. I never did find a way to
train my dogs to keep out of the catbox, so I went the
management route. If you can't train your dogs to knock it
off, put the catbox in a place the dogs can't get to, and DO
NOT use clumping cat litter.

I purchased a new litter box that has a swinging door on the front. The dog
cannot get in to snack.
Petey's Mom

Old November 8th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
S.Smith wrote:
I purchased a new litter box that has a swinging door on the front. The dog
cannot get in to snack.

I'd probably treat that as if the dog could get in anyway
(my dogs are highly, um, "food" motivated) and take the
appropriate precautions, starting with not using clumping
cat litter.

Old November 8th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

I purchased a new litter box that has a swinging door on the front. The
dog cannot get in to snack.
Petey's Mom

Just make sure the cat doesn't mind going in... Some cats will be put off by
a new style of litter box.

Dale

Old November 8th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
S.Smith

"Dale Atkin" wrote in message
I purchased a new litter box that has a swinging door on the front. The
dog cannot get in to snack.
Petey's Mom

Just make sure the cat doesn't mind going in... Some cats will be put off
by a new style of litter box.

Dale

I agree. My cat is cool and takes everything in stride. No problem with
her and the new box.
Petey's Mom

Old November 9th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 19:11:05 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

news
wrote:

no one have the problem of their dogs eating their catbox nuggets? I need
some help here.

Virtually every dog I've ever had wants to raid the cats' litterbox.
I don't let them do it. Keep the litterboxes where the dogs can't get
to them.

Sigh. I have an outside cat, and there is no problem with the litter box,
as it is isolated by doors, which the dogs have not figured out how to open.
Yet.

Well, if you have an outside cat, and dogs that have unrestricted run
of the property, then no, I have no idea how you can solve the problem
of your dogs eating cat poop.

Old November 9th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phyrie

wrote:

no one have the problem of their dogs eating their catbox nuggets? I
need
some help here.

Virtually every dog I've ever had wants to raid the cats' litterbox.
I don't let them do it. Keep the litterboxes where the dogs can't get
to them.

Sigh. I have an outside cat, and there is no problem with the litter box,
as it is isolated by doors, which the dogs have not figured out how to
open. Yet.

Steve

So are you asking how to keep your dogs from picking random tasty tidbits
from the great outdoors? How do you think you will do that? Are you out
with the dogs, supervising them whenever they are outside?
How do you know they're eating cat ****? Do you see them do it? Is it
simply bad breath that leads you to think they're eating cat ****? If you
are outside with them, and they pick up something you don't want them to
have, then "leave it" is the skill to teach. "Drop it" would be handy too.
If you won't keep your cats in and use a litter box, out of the way of the
dogs, and you let the dogs roam freely, without supervision where you know
there is cat ****, there is no way you will stop them from eating stuff they
find outside.
If you really, really don't want the dogs to eat random stuff outside, you
will have to leash them when they're out there and don't allow them to nose
the ground at all. Either that or go out and pick up after your cat. Might
as well pick up after the dogs while you're out there...two birds and all
that.
--
Phyrie
Kiba the Cav's Pics:

Old November 9th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
SteveB

SteveB wrote:
no one have the problem of their dogs eating their catbox nuggets? I need
some help here.

It's probably more appropriate for .behavior than .health.
But it always comes back to the same two things: 1)
training, and 2) management. I never did find a way to
train my dogs to keep out of the catbox, so I went the
management route. If you can't train your dogs to knock it
off, put the catbox in a place the dogs can't get to, and DO
NOT use clumping cat litter.

Sorry you did not read the original post. My cat has two acres to find the
"perfect" place. My dogs have two acres to treasure hunt. A kitty litter
box lasts about six months, as the cat prefers to go outside.

Steve