Got Day

Old November 17th 08, 01:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Got Day

It's hard to believe, but it's been nine whole years. It was the
Wednesday before Thanksgiving 1999. The first night, she tried to beat
the hell out of Elliott. I wondered what the hell I'd gotten myself
into, but by the next morning, she was ready to make nice. Elliott
taught her that bedtime is for sleeping, not playing, and she taught him
how to box. They had a few scuffles over the years, but they were
deeply bonded. It took her a long time to find her footing after he
died.

Life with Harriet has been rough at times, but good. And while she's
grey and slightly mellower these days, she's pretty much 100% fun to
live with. I really couldn't ask for a more awesome dog.

These were taken few weeks after I got her. She'd started to fill out
pretty well (no more visible hip bones, and her ribs were only prominent
when she was stretched out).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/319130292/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/319130295/

Contemplating world domination. Or the tastiness of bunnies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2468403915/

Another of my all-time favorite photos of her, about three years ago, in
her "It's *all* mine" stance. (Actually, she was listening to the
neighbor running the fence line on his four wheeler.) She'd already
started to go grey, but only around the cheeks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/86941643/

Last night, grey but sassy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/3036009724/

She got a new woobie yesterday, and I'm going to make her homemade
french fries tonight (sans ketchup). She loves them, and they're one of
the few treats she can have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/198394462/

And lastly, feet! A couple of months ago, those silky hairs between her
pads were stained deep red, from saliva. We have conquered the evil
demon foot chewing!

Then http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/1679056044/
Now http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/3035175755/

And a zillion more photos here (more or less in chronological order,
with a bunch of her playing with Elliott at the top):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/sets/379556/

--
Shelly

Old November 17th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Shelly" wrote:

It's hard to believe, but it's been nine whole years.

Happy Got Day you silly girl!

--
Janet Boss
Old November 17th 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-11-17 07:08:48 -0500, "Shelly" said:

she's pretty much 100% fun to live with.

Happy got day to the most awesome model ever!

Old November 17th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"montana wildhack" wrote in message

Happy got day to the most awesome model ever!

Thanks! And she's cheap, too. She works for french fries!

--
Shelly

Old November 17th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa

On Nov 17, 7:08*am, "Shelly" wrote:
It's hard to believe, but it's been nine whole years. *

And a zillion more photos here (more or less in chronological order,
with a bunch of her playing with Elliott at the top):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/sets/379556/

I can't see the pictures at work so i'll look when i get home but i
wanted to wish Harriet a most happy Got Day and may you have many many
more!
Old November 17th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Janet Boss" wrote in message

Happy Got Day you silly girl!

Thanks! Her new woobie fell off the couch last night (she'd been
sleeping with it tucked under her chin), and when she got up, she
accidentally landed on it. Squeeeeeak! She scared the crap out of
herself, and then got all wiggly when she realized what had happened.
Silly, indeed.

--
Shelly

Old November 17th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Nessa" wrote in message

I can't see the pictures at work so i'll look when i get home but i
wanted to wish Harriet a most happy Got Day and may you have many many
more!

Thank you! It's hard to believe it's been that long. And talk about
chaotic! Elliott was a baby when I got him, and he just fit seamlessly
into my life. Harriet turned everything upside down and inside out
(literally and figuratively). Things were very different then.

--
Shelly

Old November 17th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa

On Nov 17, 8:47*am, "Shelly" wrote:
"Nessa" wrote in message

I can't see the pictures at work so i'll look when i get home but i
wanted to wish Harriet a most happy Got Day and may you have many many
more!

Thank you! *It's hard to believe it's been that long. *And talk about
chaotic! *Elliott was a baby when I got him, and he just fit seamlessly
into my life. *Harriet turned everything upside down and inside out
(literally and figuratively). *Things were very different then.

--
Shellyhttp://www.cat-sidh.net(the Mother Ship)http://esther.cat-sidh.net(Letters to Esther)

they change our lives totally.

and in such a way that only other dog folks can get.

I'm active on Newf.net and we lost a newf to the bridge this weekend
after a horrific event. I cried. for a dog I never met. or owners I
never met...

Old November 17th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
montana wildhack

On 2008-11-17 08:47:01 -0500, "Shelly" said:

Harriet turned everything upside down and inside out (literally and
figuratively).

Sometimes I think that's called True Love. At least, that's been my
experience with it...

Old November 17th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Sometimes I think that's called True Love. At least, that's been my
experience with it...

I think there's some truth to that. What's funny is that I had a hard
time figuring out what made Harriet tick, at first. It took awhile to
feel like I was bonded to her. Not that I wasn't. Looking back, I now
know that I was a sucker from day 1, but at the time, it didn't feel
that way. And this is part of why I had such a hard time responding
when the neighbors with the Boxer puppy were impressed with how good
Harriet is. It's been a long and at times difficult and frustrating
journey, but how do you articulate that while not scaring them off?
"She wasn't born this way," doesn't seem encouraging enough.

--
Shelly