Can dogs go through menopause?

Old December 21st 04, 02:14 AM
StarGazingSnowTiger

Default Can dogs go through menopause?

I have a half german sheperd half austalian sheperd mix and she's 8 years
old. (She'll be 9 in the spring) We have noticed for a little while now a
few changes in her. The top of her head is very hot and she seems a little
more on edge. This morning we notice that she was bleeding from that area
and we know that it's far to early for her to be going into heat. Normally
when she dose go into heat there isn't much blood, maybe a little here
and there but there is quite a bit of blood now. We checked for injuries
and didn't see any, besides she is acting fine, wagging her tail, walking
fine, eating and drinking normally, and doesn't seem to be in pain. My
question is could this be a form of menopause, or someting else. If it is
in fact something else then what could it be, and what do we do about it?
Luckly it seems to be getting better but we still aren't sure what it is
or what to do. Please help me. Thank you!

Old December 21st 04, 11:37 PM
buglady

"StarGazingSnowTiger" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
I have a half german sheperd half austalian sheperd mix and she's 8 years
old. (She'll be 9 in the spring) We have noticed for a little while now a
few changes in her. The top of her head is very hot and she seems a little
more on edge. This morning we notice that she was bleeding from that area
and we know that it's far to early for her to be going into heat. Normally
when she dose go into heat there isn't much blood, maybe a little here
and there but there is quite a bit of blood now.

..........I'd get her to the vet for a checkup ASAP. Could be infected
uterus - pyometra - nothing to fool with.

buglady
take out the dog before replying