Dog behaviorists, please help me.

Old December 12th 08, 07:54 AM
mojos mojos is offline
Junior Member

Location: Missouri
Exclamation Dog behaviorists, please help me.

This may be long..I'll try to be brief..Those of you with a genuine understanding of dog dominance, please help me..
My 4 year old German Wirehaired Pointer has always tried to push the envelope..He's a good dog, very obedient, some seperation angsiety..

The problem is the subtle things..Sometimes running through a door before me...Resting his paw on my feet when I'm sitting...Stepping on my feet when he's coming inside..You know, the subtle things that a dog does when he thinks that Mom doesn't notice the subtle little things..
I know most people would just ignore these behaviors but I have never in my life had a dog that absolutely will not give up these traits..

No, he's not aggressive BUT, he did bite me once..About two years ago when I caught him in the trash and took a cat food can away from him..I was telling him NO ! when he struck so fast I didn't have time to react...Yes, he drew blood, he meant business..I've never fully trusted him since and I HATE THAT.
I don't think he was actually trying to be aggressive but that it was more fear aggression because I had seriously never been that mad at him and I'm sure he felt that...No, it's never happened again..
One more thing he does...Dogs are absolutely not allowed on the furniture in this house and my bed is sacred...Period.
Sometimes, I wake up and guess who's on the bed with me ? As soon as he realizes I'm awake, he'll slowly creep off the bed trying not to get my attention..(it's kindof cute actually).
So, is there some kind of program that I can use ? Training ? That will turn his mind around to make him understand that I am 100% his master ? Until this happens, I can't 100% trust him, ya know ?

Help ?
Old December 12th 08, 12:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Default Dog behaviorists, please help me.

mojos spoke these words of wisdom in
:

I don'y think there are any dog behaviorists in this group. there used to
be, but she got run off. There are quite a few dog trainers.

You need to get your dog in training classes (Not PetsMart, but REAL dog
training classes)

You need to ask your trainer about NILIF, and how it works, and how to
implement it. You need to get the dog off the bed (because it thinks it's
dominant... NOT because I don't approve of dogs on the bed, because
personally i could care less. But it's being on the bed is a social
heirarchy structure that you need to control in this situation)

Go see a trainer, and if you follow a good trainer and implement NILIF, I'm
pretty sure all those issues will evaporate.

Old December 12th 08, 12:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
mojos wrote:

So, is there some kind of program that I can use ? Training ?

NILIF. Training. Every Day.

--
Janet Boss
Old December 12th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article , diddy none
wrote:

I don'y think there are any dog behaviorists in this group. there used to
be, but she got run off.

Who was that?

--
Janet Boss
Old December 12th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Janet Boss spoke these words of wisdom in
:

In article , diddy none
wrote:

I don'y think there are any dog behaviorists in this group. there used to
be, but she got run off.

Who was that?

I don't remember her name. She was really was a board certifed behaviorist. I
checked it out.
I think her name was Ann. Perhaps Karla or montana, or tiny remember.
Old December 12th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article , diddy none
wrote:

I don't remember her name. She was really was a board certifed behaviorist. I
checked it out.
I think her name was Ann. Perhaps Karla or montana, or tiny remember.

I have no recollection of that. Interesting. Board certified as in a
VETERINARY Behaviorist?

--
Janet Boss
Old December 12th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

wrote:

I don't remember her name. She was really was a board certifed
behaviorist. I checked it out.
I think her name was Ann. Perhaps Karla or montana, or tiny remember.

I have no recollection of that. Interesting. Board certified as in a
VETERINARY Behaviorist?

An animal behaviorist. There are very few of them around. She was one of
them. She found this group wasted a lot of her time.
Old December 12th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

I don'y think there are any dog behaviorists in this group. there used to
be, but she got run off.

Who was that?

I don't remember her name. She was really was a board certifed behaviorist. I
checked it out.
I think her name was Ann. Perhaps Karla or montana, or tiny remember.

I took two obedience classes with one near here, but I don't think she
was ever on the group. She has since moved out of state, she's now in
NC.
Old December 12th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Mojos said in part...
No, he is not aggressive, BUT he did bite me once.
_________________________
Mojos,
I know you came here for help and I am not trying to be nasty but if
your dog bit you he definitely needs training. I know you said it was
only once and that it was two years ago. Sometimes aggression in dogs
escalates if he is not being trained. Sometimes the aggression is so
severe training will not help. I do not think that is the case with
your dog.
I do think he is trying to see how far he can go with you. I
personally don't care if my dog enters the house before me or gets on
the bed but if it is an issue for you he needs to learn some basic
commands. Does he sit, stay, leave it, and have a solid recall? It can
be done without a professional trainer but if that were the case he
would already be trained. Why don't you check out some local dog clubs
for training classes?
You may think the dog trying to sneak out of bed before you awake is
cute but I am sure you did not find him biting you cute. It can happen
again.
You must be consistent. He is not allowed on the bed so when you
awake and find him creeping off you can't treat that as cute. He must
learn "No", "Down" or whatever command you use.
Good Luck.

Be Free.....Judy