Dog Cam

Old December 18th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa

Default Dog Cam

what software do you folks use for making dog cams?

I want to see how long it takes harley to settle down when i leave the
house in the mornings.
Old December 18th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Nessa wrote:
what software do you folks use for making dog cams?

I've got an Axis camera with a network interface and a
built-in server. It's all self-contained, although in the
typical home networking situation in which you've got a NAT
(they call 'em "routers"), you need to map addresses in the
NAT for external access.

A long time ago I had a camera that plugged into a video
capture card on a server in my house and I ran a piece of
software called "camserv." You don't want to do that.

However, I once bought a cheapie Logitech camera that came
with software to send video to somebody-or-other's server
and then to access it you go to that server. I'd probably
research that route.

Old December 18th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dale Atkin

"Nessa" wrote in message
what software do you folks use for making dog cams?

I want to see how long it takes harley to settle down when i leave the
house in the mornings.

Couldn't you just record it to a video, and then review it later?

Dale

Old December 18th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa[_2_]

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:49:08 GMT, "Dale Atkin"
wrote:

"Nessa" wrote in message
what software do you folks use for making dog cams?

I want to see how long it takes harley to settle down when i leave the
house in the mornings.

Couldn't you just record it to a video, and then review it later?

Dale

I don't have a video camera I do have a webcam
Best Wishes,

Nessa
----
Dog Mom to:
Hannah age 6.5 Pitador rescued age 9 weeks
Harley small shaggy cow that I love and adore (landseer Newf rescued 10/08)
(Angel) Bagel went to Rainbow Bridge 9/18/08 my Newfandstuff age 8.5
Old December 18th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Nessa" wrote in message

I don't have a video camera I do have a webcam

You should still be able to record video using your computer.

--
Shelly

Old December 18th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Nessa said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I do have a logictech camera that i can use with the
laptop.... just not sure how to broadcast on my
site....I'll check the software

When you do figure it out, watch your frame rate - it doesn't
take long before you've eaten up the upload limit your ISP may
enforce.

When my RockyCam was going, I set it for a fairly slow frame
rate (they're only sleeping), but even that was a lot. Finally,
I just set the camera to upload when the page refreshed, then
set the page to refresh every N seconds.

Nowadays there are plenty of options, including webcam portals
which appear to take care of all the nuts'n'bolts for you.

Old December 18th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa[_2_]

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 14:05:58 -0500, "Shelly"
wrote:

"Nessa" wrote in message
.. .

I don't have a video camera I do have a webcam

You should still be able to record video using your computer.

ah yes.... I could. how stupid of me not to think of that.

Best Wishes,

Nessa
----