Mange problem...Grrrrrr!!! This really sucks!

Old December 22nd 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default Mange problem...Grrrrrr!!! This really sucks!

Hello all, early this past June my Springer Spaniel had a close
encounter with a fox. The fox did not look well at all. The two
animals did make contact. About 6 weeks later (and I guess that I
hadn't seen her scratching) I began to find clods of hair/fur on my
light carpeting. I looked a bit closer at my dog as she sat there and
noticed one ear flap quite shorter than the other. She was losing her
hair!

I felt her ears over and she had crusting around the edges of the ear
flaps as well as some crusty bumps on the flap itself. After multiple
searches on Google, I decided to try and treat what I thought was a
fungus using white vinegar. Within 24 hours I had an explosion of
these invisible mites...all over her and all over me. They were
driving me right up a wall. So, off to the vet we went...

The vet did an ear scraping and found no mites, however they began an
immediate treatment for sarcoptic mange using injectable Ivermectin
and a strong antibiotic. The dog was given the antibiotic twice a day
for two weeks and was given a second shot of Ivermectin two weeks
after that first shot. Interestingly, the mites were pretty much gone
within 48 hours of the first shot.

At about 2 weeks or so after that final shot, there was only one tiny,
tiny lump on my dogs ear flap. And it grew...and it grew...and it
spread! I once again treated her ear with that white vinegar and
within 48 hours I have those invisible bugs driving me nuts again.
Back to the vet we go...

The vet does another ear scraping (finding nothing) and decides, "Ok,
we'll give her another shot of Ivermectin, another 2 weeks of
antibiotics and give her an oral dose of Ivermectin once every two
weeks for 3 doses. The shot stops the mites like right now, but it
begins coming back. The oral doses don't do spit. Before that 3rd dose
I am back at the vet...

The vet does another ear scraping, finds nothing and decides, "Let's
treat her as though it is Demodexic Mange and give her a daily oral
dose of Ivermectin...this may take 2-3 months".

Now I am two weeks into this treatment and the lumps on my dogs ears
are spreading...GRRRR!!!

I am of the opinion that they nearly had this thing licked the first
time and that 2 shots simply was enough. A third shot and possibly a
fourth would have done the job as the mites do not like this
Ivermectin giving in a hypo. In an oral dose, they laugh at it. Would
I be out of line to suggest to my vet that we take a different course
of treatment? I am out about $400+ so far and am right back where I
started. What's more is that I have a dog that has been suffering with
this for far too long.

Your take?

Old December 22nd 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

The vet does another ear scraping, finds nothing and decides, "Let's
treat her as though it is Demodexic Mange and give her a daily oral
dose of Ivermectin...this may take 2-3 months".

I don't have any experience with sarcoptic mange but I do
with Demodex, and I'm surprised your vet said it would take
2-3 months. I think it more typically takes a year or two.
I'm also surprised that he's been prescribing Ivermectin
even though he's found nothing in the skin scrapings, so I'd
tend to question his diagnosis and probably take the dog to
another vet for another opinion. You might think about a
veterinary dermatologist.

Old December 22nd 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
I had to deal with it several years ago. The dogs got 3 injections of
Ivermectin, a few weeks between each. Problem solved.

What do you make of the repeated negative skin scrapes?

Old December 22nd 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:

I don't think it counts when the dog is dead.

While 2 of those dogs have passed on, it was not from the Ivermectin,
nor close to the time of the mange outbreak. One of the dogs was a lab,
who lived to 15.5 years. The other a Golden, who died just short of 12.
The third, still with us, is a lab/wgsd mix who will be 12 in 9 days and
is in exceptional health. Too bad the same can't be said of your
dogs. I'm sorry for them.

--
Janet Boss
Old December 22nd 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Janet Boss wrote:
In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:

I don't think it counts when the dog is dead.

While 2 of those dogs have passed on, it was not from the Ivermectin,
nor close to the time of the mange outbreak. One of the dogs was a lab,
who lived to 15.5 years. The other a Golden, who died just short of 12.
The third, still with us, is a lab/wgsd mix who will be 12 in 9 days and
is in exceptional health.

At least you think they are in good health. Janet, your history precedes
you. That nasty collar you think is a good idea on a dog says a lot
about you.
Old December 22nd 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:
At least you think they are in good health.

What an odd thing for someone who doesn't take her dog to
the vet to say. Janet certainly has a much better picture
of her dogs' health than you do of yours.

And you never did explain how you do heartworm testing. My
guess is that you just plain lied about it.

Old December 22nd 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:

At least you think they are in good health.

Unlike your little guessing games, my dogs actually get wellness checks
and blood tests at the veterinarian's. Lucy is in exceptionally good
shape at almost 12.

--
Janet Boss