Marley and Me...

Old December 26th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa[_2_]

Default Marley and Me...

Am I the only one who found the book NOT heartwarming? (I have NOT
seen the movie yet but I read the book recently and Yes I did cry at
the end I'm NOT heartless)

I found it a tale of a bad dog owner who allowed his badly behaved dog
continue to be badly behaved.

newfondly yours,

Nessa
----
Dog Mom to:
Hannah age 6.5 Pitador rescued age 9 weeks
Harley small shaggy cow that pretends he's a newfoundland rescued age 10 months
(Angel) Bagel went to Rainbow Bridge 9/18/08 my Newfandstuff age 8.5
Old December 26th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Nessa" wrote in message
Am I the only one who found the book NOT heartwarming? (I have NOT
seen the movie yet but I read the book recently and Yes I did cry at
the end I'm NOT heartless)

I haven't read it, and I absolutely won't watch the movie, given the two
leads. I looked at the plot synopsis though and decided it would ****
me off *and* make me cry. What's the point in that? And why the hell
is it being marketed as a feel good movie? WTF?!

--
Shelly

Old December 26th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Nessa spoke these words of wisdom in
:

Am I the only one who found the book NOT heartwarming? (I have NOT
seen the movie yet but I read the book recently and Yes I did cry at
the end I'm NOT heartless)

I found it a tale of a bad dog owner who allowed his badly behaved dog
continue to be badly behaved.

newfondly yours,

Nessa

I hated it. It drove me CRAZY. I will not be seeing the movie. Poor dog!!
Old December 26th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Nessa" wrote in message
Am I the only one who found the book NOT heartwarming? (I have NOT
seen the movie yet but I read the book recently and Yes I did cry at
the end I'm NOT heartless)

I found it a tale of a bad dog owner who allowed his badly behaved dog
continue to be badly behaved.

I think I would love the movie. It would make me feel good to be able to
say that I have more well-behaved and better trained dog, and better
ownership skills, than the people in the movie. Of course, I'm sure the
actual dog was well trained to do his "tricks". I'll wait for the DVD and
then Muttley and I can watch it together. I just hope he doesn't get any
stupid ideas...

Paul and the second "wurst brat" dog ever, Muttley

Old December 26th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Paul E. Schoen" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

I think I would love the movie. It would make me feel good to be able to
say that I have more well-behaved and better trained dog, and better
ownership skills, than the people in the movie.

Exactly why the book was a best seller, I'm sure.

ANYONE could do better than that!

I read it and every page pissed me off, made me queasy in the stomach, and
felt very sorry for the dog, and I wanted to reach through the pages and
throttle the owners. I couldn't figure out how someone so supposedly
intelligent and educated could possibly be so stupid.

Makes you think that they are permissive parents as well. I bet their kids
are brats!

Of course, I'm sure the
actual dog was well trained to do his "tricks"

I can't imagine a trainer that would allow their dogs to do those things,
let alone train them to do it.

I bet a lot are tricks of cinematology
Old December 26th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
"Paul E. Schoen" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

I think I would love the movie. It would make me feel good to be able to
say that I have more well-behaved and better trained dog, and better
ownership skills, than the people in the movie.

Exactly why the book was a best seller, I'm sure.

ANYONE could do better than that!

I read it and every page pissed me off, made me queasy in the stomach,
and
felt very sorry for the dog, and I wanted to reach through the pages and
throttle the owners. I couldn't figure out how someone so supposedly
intelligent and educated could possibly be so stupid.

Makes you think that they are permissive parents as well. I bet their
kids
are brats!

I think it is also a part of the modern paradigm of what is supposed to be
funny. On the few occasions that I have watched sitcoms recently, they
really seemed to be reaching deep into a doggy dew bag of stupidity with
ridiculously stereotyped characters "acting" in childishly goofy ways, with
a large amount of forced physical comedy and liberal use of laugh tracks.
Real life events are much funnier (like GW Bush's shoe ducking).

Of course, I'm sure the
actual dog was well trained to do his "tricks"

I can't imagine a trainer that would allow their dogs to do those things,
let alone train them to do it.

I bet a lot are tricks of cinematology

I've only seen a couple of trailers, where the dog hangs out the car window
and walks on the road, and where he runs off while tied to a table. It will
probably only stay in theaters for a few weeks before people tire of it (or
can't afford it), and then it will be on DVD.

I probably have much greater tolerance for a misbehaved dog than those who
have a "dog trainer mentality". But I think Muttley has always been better
behaved than "Marley". You probably have to work at it to make a dog be as
obnoxious as that. But maybe some people have dogs that are that way, and I
have just not seen them. I have met dogs that are much more reactive, or
who have had some annoying behaviors, but none that have been "off the
wall".

Paul

Old December 26th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

elegy wrote:

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 08:45:51 -0500, Nessa
wrote:

Am I the only one who found the book NOT heartwarming? (I have NOT
seen the movie yet but I read the book recently and Yes I did cry at
the end I'm NOT heartless)

I found it a tale of a bad dog owner who allowed his badly behaved dog
continue to be badly behaved.

nope, you're not the only one. i cried too but the book irritated me
no end. lots of money to be made off being a stupid pet owner.
(they're making a movie out of one of the john katz books too i hear.)

My daughter brought home one of Katz's books, the one about the BC he
wound up euthanizing (mainly due to his own ****ing stupidity) and I
read it before she'd gotten around to it. I told her, don't read it,
it's awful, it will only make you feel sad. She was mad and asked why
I'd spoil a book for her like that. For the same reason, I said, that
I'd warn her about a razor blade in an apple.

Old December 26th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa[_2_]

wrote:

Am I the only one who found the book NOT heartwarming? (I have NOT
seen the movie yet but I read the book recently and Yes I did cry at
the end I'm NOT heartless)

I found it a tale of a bad dog owner who allowed his badly behaved dog
continue to be badly behaved.

nope, you're not the only one. i cried too but the book irritated me
no end. lots of money to be made off being a stupid pet owner.
(they're making a movie out of one of the john katz books too i hear.)

irritated is a good word.
they were stupid pet owners.
on so many levels.

newfondly yours,

Nessa
----
Old December 26th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa[_2_]

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 10:41:21 -0600, diddy none wrote:

I read it and every page pissed me off, made me queasy in the stomach, and
felt very sorry for the dog, and I wanted to reach through the pages and
throttle the owners. I couldn't figure out how someone so supposedly
intelligent and educated could possibly be so stupid.

ya know that was it... I felt SORRY for Marley. he was loved, but not
properly cared for.

newfondly yours,

Nessa
----
Old December 30th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Nessa" wrote in message:

I found it a tale of a bad dog owner who allowed his badly behaved dog
continue to be badly behaved.

Couldn't come close to finishing the book - I was too busy making a mental
list of all the things that were being done wrong and how to fix it. It
didn't surprise me when I found him on CM's show with his new and equally
untrained current dog (s?).

Suja