Old dogs hack cough + Paracodin + Alternative

Old December 27th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Father Yod & YHW 13

Default Old dogs hack cough + Paracodin + Alternative

Hi,
I have a 14 year old collie.A few years ago he was diagnosed with
bronchitis and a restricted airway.He was put on Paracodin.Since
before Summer I was able to take him off the drug as he was much
better and I had moved to the countryside (clean air!)

About 6 weeks ago his hack cough came back much worse and he seems to
have the restricted airway worse.I have put him on 2 Paracodin a day
(which worked before) but don't seem to really work now.

Is there a better or stronger alternative to Paracodin that may help
him? I hate to see him hacking as I know it hurts and I think now he
needs stronger medication.

Thanks!

ps, I'm in Europe
Old December 27th 08, 07:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Is there a better or stronger alternative to Paracodin that may help
him? I hate to see him hacking as I know it hurts and I think now he
needs stronger medication.

A cough can mean significant health issues, or it could mean - a cough.You
have a geriatric dog. In a dog this age, a chronic cough is very likely due
to cardiac problems. Get to a vet and have a full exam with labs done. Don't
self prescribe.

-Sharontoo

Old December 28th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Father Yod & YHW 13

On 27 Dec, 06:47, "Sharon Too" wrote:
Is there a better or stronger alternative to Paracodin that may help
him? I hate to see him hacking as I know it hurts and I think now he
needs stronger medication.

A cough can mean significant health issues, or it could mean - a cough.You
have a geriatric dog. In a dog this age, a chronic cough is very likely due
to cardiac problems. Get to a vet and have a full exam with labs done. Don't
self prescribe.

-Sharontoo

Thanks, he is older than before so it may be something new.
Today he hasn't been as bad as previous days.
I am taking him to the vet on Monday so we'll see then.
Thanks for your response.
Old December 28th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Sharon Too wrote:
Is there a better or stronger alternative to Paracodin that may help
him? I hate to see him hacking as I know it hurts and I think now he
needs stronger medication.

A cough can mean significant health issues, or it could mean - a cough.You
have a geriatric dog. In a dog this age, a chronic cough is very likely due
to cardiac problems. Get to a vet and have a full exam with labs done. Don't
self prescribe.

-Sharontoo

"Our ongoing studies of dogs show that following routine vaccination,
there is a significant rise in the level of antibodies dogs produce
against their own tissues. Some of these antibodies have been shown to
target the thyroid gland, connective tissue such as that found in the
valves of the heart, red blood cells, DNA, etc. I do believe that the
heart conditions in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels could be the end
result of repeated immunisations by vaccines containing tissue culture
contaminants that cause a progressive immune response directed at
connective tissue in the heart valves. The clinical manifestations would
be more pronounced in dogs that have a genetic predisposition [although]
the findings should be generally applicable to all dogs regardless of
their breed."

Dr Larry Glickman
Old December 29th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Father Yod & YHW 13

On 27 Dec, 01:31, diddy none wrote:
"Father Yod & YHW 13" spoke these words of
wisdom in news:e42e2f3d-7e66-4a9b-b29c-
:

Hi,
I have a 14 year old collie.A few years ago he was diagnosed with
bronchitis and a restricted airway.He was put on Paracodin.Since
before Summer I was able to take him off the drug as he was much
better and I had moved to the countryside (clean air!)

About 6 weeks ago his hack cough came back much worse and he seems to
have the restricted airway worse.I have put him on 2 Paracodin a day
(which worked before) but don't seem to really work now.

Is there a better or stronger alternative to Paracodin that may help
him? I hate to see him hacking as I know it hurts and I think now he
needs stronger medication.

Thanks!

ps, I'm in Europe

Things likely have changed since the original prescription. *Your dog needs
to see a vet. A cough may be a sign of many things, and not "just another
cough"

By the way, a health food shop recommended an Aloe Vera and Manuka
honey drink
to put in with his dinner.I tried it, for a few days his cough was as
bad as ever but the
last two days he has been better.I don't know if this is because of
the Aloe vera or
not.My heating has been bust for these two days and that could be a
reason.I don't
know if the warm air in the house and the cold air outside makes a
difference.
Hopefully tomorrow I will see the vet.
Old December 29th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

"Father Yod & YHW 13" spoke these words of wisdom
in :
not.My heating has been bust for these two days and that could be a
reason.I don't
know if the warm air in the house and the cold air outside makes a
difference.
Hopefully tomorrow I will see the vet.

Hope your heating and your dog are both better soon!
I can't imagine being without heat for a couple days at these temperatures. I
hope it's warmer there than it is here!
Old December 29th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tracey K

On Dec 28, 6:39 pm, diddy none wrote:
"Father Yod & YHW 13" spoke these words of wisdom
:
not.My heating has been bust for these two days and that could be a

reason.I don't
know if the warm air in the house and the cold air outside makes a
difference.
Hopefully tomorrow I will see the vet.

Hope your heating and your dog are both better soon!
I can't imagine being without heat for a couple days at these temperatures. I
hope it's warmer there than it is here!

Let us know how he does. I recently had to put my mini poodle to
sleep (16.5 yrs old). He had a collapsing trachea.. he could take in
air, but had problems exhaling. I treated it as long as he had some
good days, but they just kept getting worse with the senility and
blindness. 14 yrs for a lg breed dog is great! you must be doing
something right
Old December 29th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

chardonnay9 wrote:

"Our ongoing studies of dogs show that following routine vaccination,
there is a significant rise in the level of antibodies dogs produce

*snip*

Dr Larry Glickman

Finally! You've actually quoted a reputable authority! This proves
the theorem about monkeys typing Shakespeare, I guess.

Funny thing, though, while the quote you posted has been widely spread
throughout the internet, I couldn't find its original source. Here are
some other things that Dr. Glickman has written about vaccines, both
from respected peer-reviewed medical journals. Please do pay careful
attention to the section I've emphasized in the second citation, 'K?

Dianne

Scott-Moncrieff JC, Glickman NW, Glickman LT, HogenEsch H.
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2006 Jul-Aug;20(4):818-21.

LACK OF ASSOCIATION BETWEEN REPEATED VACCINATION AND THYROIDITIS
IN LABORATORY BEAGLES.

BACKGROUND: Intensive vaccination protocols have been suggested
as partially responsible for an increased prevalence of autoimmune
diseases in dogs in recent years. The aim of this study was to
determine whether repeated routine vaccination in dogs is associated
with an increased prevalence of thyroiditis.

METHODOLOGY/PRINCIPAL FINDINGS: We conducted a prospective experimental
study with 20 healthy purpose-bred Beagles. Five dogs were vaccinated
with a multivalent vaccine and a rabies vaccine. Five dogs received
only the multivalent vaccine, and 5 dogs received only the rabies
vaccine. Five dogs were unvaccinated controls. The multivalent vaccine
was administered at 8, 10, 12, 16, 20, 26, and 52 weeks of age and
every 6 months thereafter. The rabies vaccine was administered at 16
and 52 weeks of age and then once a year. Blood samples were collected
1 week before euthanasia for evaluation of thyroid profiles and
measurement of antibodies directed against canine thyroglobulin. Dogs
were euthanized at 5.5 years of age, and the thyroid glands were
evaluated histopathologically. Thyroiditis was present in 8 of 20
(40%) dogs at postmortem examination. No association was found
between a dog being vaccinated and the prevalence of thyroiditis at
postmortem examination. However, the power of the study to detect such
an association was low because of the unexpected high prevalence of
thyroiditis in the unvaccinated control dogs. Thyroid function tests
were abnormal in 2 of 8 dogs with thyroiditis but were normal in all
dogs without thyroiditis.

CONCLUSIONS/SIGNIFICANCE: There was no evidence to support an
association between routine vaccination and thyroiditis at postmortem
examination in beagle dogs after repeated vaccination.

Glickman LT. Advances in Veterinary Medicine. 1999;41:701-13.

WEIGHING THE RISKS AND BENEFITS OF VACCINATION.

The following summarizes this author's current thoughts regarding
veterinary vaccines and their safety:

1. Every licensed animal vaccine is probably effective, but also
produces some adverse effects.

2. Prelicensing studies of vaccines are not specifically designed
to detect adverse vaccine reactions.

3. An improved system of national postmarketing surveillance is
required to identify most adverse vaccine reactions that occur at
low and moderate frequency.

4. Even a good postmarketing surveillance system is unlikely, however,
to detect delayed adverse vaccine reactions, and the longer the delay
the less likely they will be associated with vaccination.

5. Analytic epidemiologic (field) studies are the best way to link
vaccination with delayed adverse reactions, but these are often
hindered by incomplete vaccination histories in medical records in
veterinary practice and by a lack of veterinarians in industry trained
in epidemiologic methods.

6. Each licensed veterinary vaccine should be subjected to a
quantitative risk assessment, and these should be updated on a regular
basis as new information becomes available.

7. Risk assessment should be used to identify gaps in information
regarding the safety and efficacy of vaccines, and appropriate
epidemiologic studies conducted to fill these gaps that contribute
to the uncertainty in risk estimates.

8. Risk assessment is an analytical process that is firmly based on
scientific considerations, but it also requires judgments to be made
when the available information is incomplete. These judgments
inevitably draw on both scientific and policy considerations.

9. Representatives from industry, government, veterinary medicine,
and the animal-owning public should be involved in risk management,
that is, deciding between policy options.

THE CONTROVERSY REGARDING VACCINE RISKS IS INTENSIFYING TO THE POINT
THAT SOME ANIMAL OWNERS HAVE STOPPED VACCINATING THEIR ANIMALS. THEY
OFFER AS JUSTIFICATION THE BELIEF THAT CURRENT VACCINES ARE "JUST
TOO DANGEROUS." SOME OWNERS REPORTTHAT SINCE THEY COMPLETELY STOPPED
VACCINATING THEIR ANIMALS, THEY HAVE BEEN HEALTHY. WHAT THEY FAIL TO
REALIZE IS THAT A HIGH PERCENTAGE OF ANIMAL OWNERS ARE RESPONSIBLE
AND DO VACCINATE THEIR ANIMALS, THUS PROVIDING "HERD IMMUNITY"
PROTECTION TO THE UNVACCINATED ANIMALS WHOM THEY CONTACT. [emphasis
mine - DS.]

The solution to the vaccine controversy is not to abandon vaccination
as an effective means of disease prevention and control, but rather
to encourage vaccine research to answer important questions regarding
safety and to identify the biological basis for adverse reactions.
Key questions to be answered include these: What components of
vaccines are responsible for adverse reactions? What is the genetic
basis for susceptibility to adverse health effects in animals? How
can susceptible individuals be identified? Do multivalent vaccines
cause a higher rate of adverse reactions than monovalent vaccines?
Is administration of multiple doses of monovalent vaccines really
any safer than administering a single multivalent vaccine? These
and other vaccine-related questions deserve our attention as
veterinarians so we can fulfill our veterinary oath to relieve
animal suffering and "above all else, do no harm."

Old December 30th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Father Yod & YHW 13

On 29 Dec, 14:34, Tracey K wrote:
[...]

Hi Tracey, sorry about your dog, I know when they get old they seem to
fall
apart.My guys vets file is the size of a book! I had a cat that
reached 16.5 and
he had no vet file! (Very healthy).The dog is a Wicklow Collie and
about medium size.

I am kind of ok for heat...2 oil filled radiators & a fire in another
room.
Now I'm gonna google about Manuka & dogs.The cough has been a bit
better...no long fits of coughing.It may be working.
I live on the West coast of ireland BTW and its around 2 degrees.

The vets were not open today and I need to get Paracodin tomorrow
to help him along.

Cheers!

Dog Cough Squeakywee Dog health 7 September 13th 08 08:20 PM
Cooking or alternative food for dogs [email protected] Dog breeds 17 October 3rd 03 01:09 PM
Cooking or alternative food for dogs [email protected] Dog behavior 54 October 3rd 03 01:09 PM
Cooking or alternative food for dogs [email protected] Dog behavior 0 September 20th 03 08:59 AM
Cooking or alternative food for dogs [email protected] Dog behavior 0 September 20th 03 08:59 AM