Dog walking during an Alaskan cold snap

Old January 7th 09, 12:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Dog walking during an Alaskan cold snap

[]
Alaska's been in a long, very cold snap for several weeks
now, and a columnist for the ADN has written a nice column
on walking her dog:

So while I enter our frozen world layered to the point
where even I can't find myself under all those clothes,
my dogs prance out nude and happy. They remain so until
exactly the halfway point in the walk. Then it occurs to
them that it's as cold going out the front door for a
walk as it is going out the back door for a bathroom
break. They decide that they are no longer amused.

http://www.adn.com/opinion/comment/p...ry/644798.html

Old January 7th 09, 01:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa

[]

--
* * *Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis -

* * * Prouder than ever to be a member of the reality-based community

nice read
thanks for sharing the link
Old January 7th 09, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message

They decide that they are no longer amused.

Harriet tries, bless her heart. We had a couple of days of temperatures
around zero, right before Festivus. I had to take Harriet to the vet on
one of them. I bundled her up, and she did pretty well, except that she
had trouble breathing. The vet is only a short walk across the back
field, but about half-way there, Harriet started coughing and snorting.

I, on the other hand, was stuffed into a Carhartt coat and was
*roasting*. Good lord, but that thing is warm! Too bad it's only
suitable to wear for three days out of the year.

--
Shelly

Old January 7th 09, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Shelly wrote:
Harriet tries, bless her heart.

Race season started around the end of December in Alaska and
distance races are pretty much not cancelled for weather,
ever. At the Gin Gin 200 a guy I know scratched after
several of his dogs' nether bits were frost-nipped. Jeff
King also scratched because of the weather (40mph winds on
top of -40 temperatures), to give a clue just how bad it was
out there. But quite a few people persevered. Some photos
at: http://www.gingin200.com/2008GinGinPhotos.html

Old January 7th 09, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message

(40mph winds on top of -40 temperatures),

That's just crazy cold.

But quite a few people persevered. Some photos
at: http://www.gingin200.com/2008GinGinPhotos.html

Okay, you can tell from the photos that it's so cold that the snow is
squeaky. I'm getting shivers up and down my spine just thinking about
that sound. Aaack!

--
Shelly

Old January 7th 09, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa

On Jan 7, 8:55*am, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article ,

Shelly wrote:
Harriet tries, bless her heart.

Race season started around the end of December in Alaska and
distance races are pretty much not cancelled for weather,
ever. *At the Gin Gin 200 a guy I know scratched after
several of his dogs' nether bits were frost-nipped. *Jeff
King also scratched because of the weather (40mph winds on
top of -40 temperatures), to give a clue just how bad it was
out there. *But quite a few people persevered. *Some photos
at:http://www.gingin200.com/2008GinGinPhotos.html
--
* * *Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis -

* * * Prouder than ever to be a member of the reality-based community

wow they are some hearty people and dogs.

I'm miserable today with my 36 degrees and rain....
Old January 7th 09, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Nessa" wrote in message

I'm miserable today with my 36 degrees and rain....

Be glad it's not 31F with rain. It was ice-ice-icy yesterday. And
foggy last night. And now, there's a dusting of snow on everything.
It's like a crazy winter lasagna.

--
Shelly

Old January 7th 09, 02:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Shelly" wrote:

Be glad it's not 31F with rain. It was ice-ice-icy yesterday. And
foggy last night. And now, there's a dusting of snow on everything.
It's like a crazy winter lasagna.

We've got 32 and rain and ice has coated everything. Glad Marcie's
appointment isn't until 2, when it should have warmed up some.

--
Janet Boss
Old January 7th 09, 02:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa

On Jan 7, 9:07*am, "Shelly" wrote:
"Nessa" wrote in message

I'm miserable today with my 36 degrees and rain....

Be glad it's not 31F with rain. *It was ice-ice-icy yesterday. *And
foggy last night. *And now, there's a dusting of snow on everything.
It's like a crazy winter lasagna.

--
Shellyhttp://www.cat-sidh.net(the Mother Ship)http://esther.cat-sidh.net(Letters to Esther)

I don't get how it can rain at 31 degrees if 32 is freezing.... what
a rip off.

both DH and kid slept with their jammies inside out so school would be
cancelled. here.

no such luck for either of them.
Old January 7th 09, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Shelly wrote:
Okay, you can tell from the photos that it's so cold that the snow is
squeaky. I'm getting shivers up and down my spine just thinking about
that sound. Aaack!

During a very deep cold snap two years ago, I asked my
friend Mike (Crow, Cinder, Eclipse's, and Jack's mom's
breeder), who lives in a cabin without electricity or
plumbing, how he trains in that kind of weather and he said
"I LOVE IT." BTW, he came in 3rd in last weekend's Knik 200
and is entered in this coming weekend's Copper Basin 300, so
good thoughts in his direction. He's an outstanding dog
guy.

How cold is too cold for a Schipperke? swangdb Dog breeds 8 December 13th 06 07:01 PM
How cold is too cold? Kdf Dog health 52 November 21st 06 12:36 AM
Cold-weather trialing and cold dogs Robin Nuttall Dog activities 2 November 25th 04 12:26 AM
the cold Julia Altshuler Dog behavior 3 January 18th 04 02:01 AM
the cold Julia Altshuler Dog behavior 0 January 16th 04 10:50 PM