Another mushing video

Old January 11th 09, 12:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

Default Another mushing video

This one is just a little different...........

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6z...ersion_animals

Judy

Old January 11th 09, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
This one is just a little different...........

Inspire you in any way?

I'm used to hearing dogs carry on as they're getting ready
to head out, but hearing those little squeaky miniature
schnauzer voices cracked me up. And somebody went out and
bought 6 itty-bitty harnesses, which have got to be hard to
find, and a child's sled, so this is something they appear
to be planning on doing more than once.

That's pretty excellent. I bet those dogs are in great
shape!

Old January 11th 09, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
Judy wrote:
This one is just a little different...........

Inspire you in any way?

Well, first I'll need a few more of these little sissy dogs...........

And I'm pretty sure that Sassy should be lead. Maybe we could start with a
wheeled cart in warmer weather? Although I do admit that snow makes it all
more romantic.

But it would require living with that many schnauzers. I love them dearly
but I don't know about that.

I'm used to hearing dogs carry on as they're getting ready
to head out, but hearing those little squeaky miniature
schnauzer voices cracked me up.

And set off my two. Normally hearing other dogs bark on the computer
doesn't get to them but the schnauzer barks did. They didn't go crazy but
they did head to the back of the couch to look.

And somebody went out and
bought 6 itty-bitty harnesses, which have got to be hard to
find, and a child's sled, so this is something they appear
to be planning on doing more than once.

That's pretty excellent. I bet those dogs are in great
shape!

Apparently some organization (UKC maybe?) has weight pulling competitions.
I bet those dogs would do very well at it.

I'm just picturing going down a nice groomed trail when a turkey crosses
ahead of the team. Nothing sets my two off like a turkey scent and a live
one would be too much to bear.

Now, standard schnauzers actually do carting so mushing can't be too far of
a reach from that. Our breeder used to hook her two standards up to a cart
to haul her equipment from the motorhome to the arena grooming areas. I
guess it's pretty incredible the weights that they can pull.

Judy

Old January 11th 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

Judy wrote:
This one is just a little different...........

Inspire you in any way?

I could probably borrow six more from our breeder but those little harnesses
are going to be tricky to find.

And actually, if the conditions are right, two are probably enough. DH said
they put him on his butt during a walk earlier this week. He said the road
was black with cinders so he didn't realize how slippery it was. They
caught the scent of a turkey that had crossed the road and both pulled at
once on the flexis and he went DOWN. He did say that Spenser came back and
licked his face. It might have been an apology. I suspect that Sassy just
stood off and laughed.

Didn't Melissa do some scootering with her cockers? Schnauzers can do
anything cockers can do!

Judy

Old January 11th 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
And I'm pretty sure that Sassy should be lead. Maybe we could start with a
wheeled cart in warmer weather? Although I do admit that snow makes it all
more romantic.

There's something pretty special about traveling over snow,
esp. behind dogs. You can pick up what's known as a
"kicksled" for not too much money. Apparently they don't
handle as well as sleds and they're missing things like a
brushbow, but with just a couple of dogs it'd be fine.
You'd have to do a lot of work yourself, though. (Everybody
gets in fabulous shape!)

Old January 11th 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
And actually, if the conditions are right, two are probably enough. DH said
they put him on his butt during a walk earlier this week. He said the road
was black with cinders so he didn't realize how slippery it was. They
caught the scent of a turkey that had crossed the road and both pulled at
once on the flexis and he went DOWN.

See - your dogs have all kinds of talents!

Didn't Melissa do some scootering with her cockers?

She did, and I've seen photos of six cockers pulling her on
a scooter.

Schnauzers can do anything cockers can do!

Can they submissive pee straight up in the air while lying
on their backs?

Old January 11th 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

Judy wrote:
Schnauzers can do anything cockers can do!

Can they submissive pee straight up in the air while lying
on their backs?

Schnauzers don't *do* submissive peeing. At least mine don't. Submissive?
Hah!

Sassy does insist on marking higher on trees than the biggest dogs around
though. She will back herself up the tree as far as she can go.

Last summer, at a trial, we were walking past a large rock that every dog
there had peed on. Sassy tried backing up it and finally jumped up on top
and peed *down* on the other markings.

Not only is she a bitch but her mother was one also.

Judy

Old January 11th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
There's something pretty special about traveling over snow,
esp. behind dogs.

That's really what I envision. The quiet - except for the runner noise and
the sounds of the dogs running. You can find quiet places in the summer but
snow adds an extra level of sound-proofing to deaden the other sounds.

You can pick up what's known as a
"kicksled" for not too much money. Apparently they don't
handle as well as sleds and they're missing things like a
brushbow, but with just a couple of dogs it'd be fine.
You'd have to do a lot of work yourself, though. (Everybody
gets in fabulous shape!)

Okay. So I'll run the camera and let DH do the sled part. He would
absolutely love it!

I did place an order this morning with our breeder for six more miniature
schnauzers.

Or maybe a couple of standards would be easier.

Hey - we got about 4 inches out of the 8 - 10 they were telling us to
expect. Endicott seems to have gotten about 7. How did Ithaca make out?
I'm coming up there for a lesson out by the airport tomorrow morning but I'm
assuming all will be fine by then.

Judy

Old January 11th 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
All right! What could be better than living with 8 dogs?

Living with ni....... I mean, living with two. Or maybe three.

We got about 5 out here in Enfield.

Eh, no biggie then.

[Hey! There goes another plow!]

We've had one. As in one way.

I haven't had a newspaper since Tuesday morning but I think that involves
more issues than just crappy roads. I think tomorrow morning I'm calling
and telling them I've gotten used to not getting the paper and to refund the
balance of the subscription. About all I read the local paper for is the
obituaries (Damn, I'm getting OLD) and I can get those on-line.

So - why are you inside on your computer and not outside sledding?

Judy

Old January 11th 09, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
That's really what I envision. The quiet - except for the runner noise and
the sounds of the dogs running. You can find quiet places in the summer but
snow adds an extra level of sound-proofing to deaden the other sounds.

Exactly.

I did place an order this morning with our breeder for six more miniature
schnauzers.

All right! What could be better than living with 8 dogs?

Hey - we got about 4 inches out of the 8 - 10 they were telling us to
expect. Endicott seems to have gotten about 7. How did Ithaca make out?
I'm coming up there for a lesson out by the airport tomorrow morning but I'm
assuming all will be fine by then.

We got about 5 out here in Enfield. I was actually pretty
surprised to go out this morning to clear off the Land
Crusher to head up to Connecticut Hill to do some skiing and
check out the trails (reconnoitering mushing trails is a
great excuse to get some skiing in) and discovered that I
actually needed to clear the walk and barnyard where I park.
I think I've run that snowblower more in the past month than
I have in the previous 5 years I've owned it. Anyway, the
plows have already been through a bunch of times and my
crappy country road doesn't look bad at all, at least not
along this stretch. While my mother was here she marvelled
at 1) how often plows run here, and 2) our incredibly high
{property, sales, school, income} taxes, but didn't put the
two together.

I expect that the roads should be totally clear by tomorrow.
If you're coming up I should probably mention that I bought
those Darn Tough socks at Rt 96 Power and Paddle
[obChainsaw] just south of Candor.

[Hey! There goes another plow!]

BC mushing Rocky[_2_] Dog behavior 1 October 4th 07 07:48 PM
Mushing sounds Melinda Shore Dog behavior 8 September 14th 05 12:40 PM