Time passes

Old January 12th 09, 05:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Default Time passes

This past weekend I entered Friday in his first agility trial as
a Veteran (aka: Old) dog. Veteran's class is for dogs older
than 7 and Friday is almost 8, so I thought it was time. A
veteran gets more time to run a course (which Friday doesn't
need) and jumps one jump height lower (which he doesn't need
*yet*).

It certainly doesn't seem like seven years since Robin M.
brought Friday to my attention and I subsequently adopted him
and introduced him here.

On the bright braggy side, I just came across an Agility
Association of Canada statistics page which shows the past
year's stats for all of the Regular (as opposed to veteran and
specials) dogs. I was blown away to find that Friday was in the
top 10 percent of regular class AAC dogs (590 in total),
especially since we compete in way fewer trials than dogs in
more populous areas. I had no idea.

I'm looking forward to an equally fun 2009.

Old January 12th 09, 12:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Rocky wrote:

On the bright braggy side, I just came across an Agility
Association of Canada statistics page which shows the past
year's stats for all of the Regular (as opposed to veteran and
specials) dogs. I was blown away to find that Friday was in the
top 10 percent of regular class AAC dogs (590 in total),
especially since we compete in way fewer trials than dogs in
more populous areas. I had no idea.

How cool is that? Congratulations.

I had an agility dream this morning. No idea why. In it, Rudy and I
entered at the last minute (like that's possible!) and he ran
beautifully, despite never having any agility training whatsoever, in 27
seconds (which seems like an odd low time, but I have no clue what time
an average course takes) and Q'd.

My dreams can be so odd sometimes. I woke to find Rudy in his usual
morning spot, curled up on the bed. I guess he wasn't having the same
dream.

--
Janet Boss
Old January 12th 09, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Rocky" wrote in message
It certainly doesn't seem like seven years since Robin M.
brought Friday to my attention and I subsequently adopted him
and introduced him here.

Wow. Since my two are about the same age, I'm looking at them a little
differently this morning.

I don't think either is ready to change agility levels yet. I did consider
it last summer with Spenser when he seemed to be slowing dow and barely
making time. DH ran him and his speed came back up so we figure the reason
was boredom or motivation.

But I do understand your thought process.

Friday was in the
top 10 percent of regular class AAC dogs (590 in total),
especially since we compete in way fewer trials than dogs in
more populous areas. I had no idea.

Wow! Way to go Friday!!!!

I'm looking forward to an equally fun 2009.

How could it not be? What age can you start competing with Maybe?

Judy

Old January 12th 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Janet Boss said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I had an agility dream this morning. No idea why. In it,
Rudy and I entered at the last minute (like that's
possible!) and he ran beautifully, despite never having any
agility training whatsoever, in 27 seconds (which seems
like an odd low time, but I have no clue what time an
average course takes) and Q'd.

We run 20 obstacle jumpers courses in that time often, also
lower level Standard courses just for play (35 seconds is a fast
Masters course for us). The courses I judged this past weekend
were around 150 yards, so if Rudy can do 5.5 yards per second, a
27 second course is easy peasy.

Maybe your dream was an omen and Rudy is Meant To Be your
agility dog.

Old January 12th 09, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"Judy" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

What age can you start competing with Maybe?

I could be competing with her now - she's 20 months and the
minimum is 18 months. But she still sees shiny stuff.

I'm still training her at 10 inches, though, and her jump height
will be 22". She's doing well on contacts, offering a natural
running contact and I was leery of training weaves while she was
very young - she's drivey and thinks she's bullet proof.

When I start her, it'll be at one of my group's trials where
she's used to the venue (not so many new distractions) and
probably FEO at a lower jump height.

Old January 12th 09, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"Judy" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I don't think either is ready to change agility levels yet.
I did consider it last summer with Spenser when he seemed
to be slowing dow and barely making time. DH ran him and
his speed came back up so we figure the reason was boredom
or motivation.

Friday doesn't have motivation problems at all, and rarely
knocks a bar at 22" (even the spread jumps) but I don't want
to wait for a problem to occur before I drop him to 16".

I've had people watch him run - Friday jumps extremely well at
22" and can wrap tightly. His flow is better at 16", though,
and approaches 6 yards per second in Jumpers and over 5 YPS in
Standard.

But I do understand your thought process.

There's a bit of strategy, too. At Nationals last year,
Friday was one of the oldest 22" Regular dogs. It's also the
most competitive category with about 100 dogs competing
against him. We ran the two standard rounds clean and under
time - the way the scoring works, it's 100 points for a clean
run plus another point for each second under time. We scored
a very good 120 points in each round, but only good enough for
a 15th and a 17th place.

Those 4 year old teenagers are fast, so Friday's joined the
*second* most competitive category - 16" vets.

Old January 12th 09, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Rocky wrote:

Maybe your dream was an omen and Rudy is Meant To Be your
agility dog.

I'm doubting it, but you never know. He is more my speed than Franklin
or Marcie, so maybe.......

He *is* a dog who I caught standing perfectly balanced on my teeter once!

--
Janet Boss
Old January 13th 09, 07:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska[_2_]

"Rocky" wrote in message
It certainly doesn't seem like seven years since Robin M.
brought Friday to my attention and I subsequently adopted him
and introduced him here.

Not to me either. I remember the first pictures you posted of little
Friday.

Old January 18th 09, 03:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Jan 13, 1:19*am, "Beth In Alaska" wrote:
"Rocky" wrote in message

It certainly doesn't seem like seven years since Robin M.
brought Friday to my attention and I subsequently adopted him
and introduced him here.

Not to me either. *I remember the first pictures you posted of little
Friday.

Wow. I was looking up a dog related discussion I remember having YEARS
ago in this group, and instead of finding it, I see updates and news
from wonderful people who's words I miss very much.

I'm still trying to figure out how to use this Mac, so me finding
Usenet is still a long way away ;-)

But best to you all. And smooches to Friday!

Tara
Old January 18th 09, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

But best to you all. And smooches to Friday!

And best to you. Welcome back.