Question about DAP

Old January 13th 09, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Victek

Default Question about DAP

We're trying out DAP to see if it will help calm our dog. We have the
dispenser that plugs into an AC outlet. My question is does the dispenser
need to be plugged in continuously to be effective, or can it be plugged in
just during the time the dog is alone? The unit didn't come with much
documentation and it's not clear how long it takes to start emitting the
pheromones. TIA

Old January 13th 09, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

"Victek" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

We're trying out DAP to see if it will help calm our dog. We have the
dispenser that plugs into an AC outlet. My question is does the
dispenser need to be plugged in continuously to be effective, or can it
be plugged in just during the time the dog is alone? The unit didn't
come with much documentation and it's not clear how long it takes to
start emitting the pheromones. TIA

It starts right away. But more people, in my personal experience, I have seen
reported no effects with their dogs. so just because the pheromones are are
being dispensed, does not mean it's being effective. Sometimes there just is
no substitute for training and lots of exercise and mental stimulation.
Old January 13th 09, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Victek

We're trying out DAP to see if it will help calm our dog. We have the
dispenser that plugs into an AC outlet. My question is does the
dispenser need to be plugged in continuously to be effective, or can it
be plugged in just during the time the dog is alone? The unit didn't
come with much documentation and it's not clear how long it takes to
start emitting the pheromones. TIA

It starts right away. But more people, in my personal experience, I have
seen
reported no effects with their dogs. so just because the pheromones are
are
being dispensed, does not mean it's being effective. Sometimes there just
is
no substitute for training and lots of exercise and mental stimulation.

Yes, I understand that "results may vary". In our case it doesn't seem to
be helping much, but we wanted to make sure we were using the product
correctly.

Old January 13th 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

[...]

OK. Just so you knew that many people that have tried it think it really
has no effect. Others swear by it (And I always wondered if those
testimonials were those who had interest in selling the product or just
wanted to be a believer.)
Old January 14th 09, 12:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Alison[_2_]

"Victek" wrote in message
We're trying out DAP to see if it will help calm our dog. We have the
dispenser that plugs into an AC outlet. My question is does the
dispenser need to be plugged in continuously to be effective, or can it
be plugged in just during the time the dog is alone? The unit didn't
come with much documentation and it's not clear how long it takes to
start emitting the pheromones. TIA

It needs to be plugged in all the time. Some people have found DAP collars
to be more effective.
Depending on the problem , DAP might not be enough on its own.
Alison

Old January 15th 09, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Victek

We're trying out DAP to see if it will help calm our dog. We have the
dispenser that plugs into an AC outlet. My question is does the
dispenser need to be plugged in continuously to be effective, or can it
be plugged in just during the time the dog is alone? The unit didn't
come with much documentation and it's not clear how long it takes to
start emitting the pheromones. TIA

It needs to be plugged in all the time. Some people have found DAP
collars to be more effective.
Depending on the problem , DAP might not be enough on its own.
Alison

We've heard about the collars, but couldn't find them on eBay. Do you know
where they can be purchased?

Old January 15th 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Alison[_2_]

"Victek" wrote in message
We're trying out DAP to see if it will help calm our dog. We have the

We've heard about the collars, but couldn't find them on eBay. Do you
know where they can be purchased?

I'm in the UK. I can buy then from my vets or from an on- line Pharmacy
such as Vet-medic.
http://www.vet-medic.com/pd_DAP+Coll....5cm_DAPC1.htm
You might be able to find them in large pet stores such as Pets at Home.
Alison

Old January 18th 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

"Victek" wrote in message
We're trying out DAP to see if it will help calm our dog. We have the
dispenser that plugs into an AC outlet. My question is does the dispenser
need to be plugged in continuously to be effective, or can it be plugged
in just during the time the dog is alone? The unit didn't come with much
documentation and it's not clear how long it takes to start emitting the
pheromones. TIA

I did some research on DAP. I was looking at a triple blinded placebo
controlled study on DAP that found it to have an effect.

They had it plugged in for two full weeks (I think it was two weeks
anyways... It was at least 1) prior to making observations.

The research was done in a clinic setting to try to see if they could calm
dogs that were nervous in a clinic setting.

Dale

Old January 18th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

"Dale Atkin" spoke these words of wisdom in

"Victek" wrote in message
We're trying out DAP to see if it will help calm our dog. We have the
dispenser that plugs into an AC outlet. My question is does the
dispenser need to be plugged in continuously to be effective, or can it
be plugged in just during the time the dog is alone? The unit didn't
come with much documentation and it's not clear how long it takes to
start emitting the pheromones. TIA

I did some research on DAP. I was looking at a triple blinded placebo
controlled study on DAP that found it to have an effect.

They had it plugged in for two full weeks (I think it was two weeks
anyways... It was at least 1) prior to making observations.

The research was done in a clinic setting to try to see if they could
calm dogs that were nervous in a clinic setting.

Dale

Did they conclude that it worked?
Old January 18th 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

Did they conclude that it worked?

They concluded that it did help the nervous dogs (they weren't perfect, but
they did exhibit more 'relaxed dog' behaviors and it was significantly
(statistically) better than the placebo group.

There were however some potential biases in their research which I wasn't
totally happy with, so I'd like to read more on it, but nothing fatal (among
other things, there was the potential for the experimenter to discover what
the treatment was, also the experiment didn't run over an extended time
period, so other conditions on the day might have had an impact).

Dale