Pets Can Help Keep The Doctor Away

Old January 15th 09, 01:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
ashley ross

Default Pets Can Help Keep The Doctor Away

A pet makes a great friend. We love our pets and that is why we have
them. We know that pets can make us feel better. When you get home
from work, school, or are retired, or elderly, pet owners quite
literally feel and see the love from their favorite dog or cat. Living
with a pet can provide you with certain health benefits. Pets help to
reduce your blood pressure and lessen anxiety. Pet owners health and
well-being are linked together in owning a pet or have a pet visit you
in the nursing home or hospital.
When selecting a pet it is important that your pet fits your lifestyle
or otherwise your new pet could add more stress. Pets require our love
and attention. Going out for a walk, playing Frisbee or hide and seek
provides the incentive to owners to interact and get out of the house.
You benefit from the fresh air, sunshine and exercise that you might
not get on our own. However, what if you can't take care of your pet?
If this is the case, then pet therapy might be the way to go.
Therapy pets are animals that help humans just by visiting them.
Animal Assisted Therapy is the term used to describe therapy pets. One
pet is assigned to one patient. Nursing home personnel and the pet
handler help to figure out ways that therapy will be best suited to
the patient. Cats and dogs are the most suitable therapy pets but
there is no reason why other pets can't be trained for pet therapy as
well....

http://groups.google.com/group/dogfoodmave