Puppy switch

Old January 23rd 09, 12:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Default Puppy switch

I have a puppy I got right before Christmas that I am training as a service
dog for someone in South Carolina. My friend also got a litter mate.

Her puppy has reported tantrums. He's not housebroken. She claims puppy
biting, no sleep, etc.

So we did a puppy swap. this puppy is perfectly behaved, never utters a
peep, never even offers to do any kind of puppy biting.

He's been here twice now, last weekend for 2 nights. Never once, did he
offer a behavior to correct.

i can't fix these things, if I never see the behavior. She thinks I got
the good puppy, and she got the hellion.

My puppy maintains his manners when he leaves my house. HER puppy also
maintains his manners when he comes here.

I never see any of the behaviors that she's complaining of.

Do I assume she's making these complains up for attention (Munchaussens of
training)

Or is she doing something terribly wrong there?
Her puppy is an angel here!

She also complains that she has not been able to housebreak him. He's never
had an accident in my house. Not once.

I can say that I am managing him carefully. I mean, I can't fix a problem
without managemment and supervision. It would be irresponsible to not
manage any puppy you were trying to fix.

Do you suppose she's expecting him to hold it and never watch him?

I can understand part of the issue on the house breaking bit though. Her
house has carpets. Mine does not.

The complaints of screaming, barking, temper tantrums and puppy biting
though.. I just don't see it.

She's complaining so much about this puppy, that she's thinking of
returning it to the breeder. I cannot fathom what the problem is. He's
here this time for 5 days.
Old January 23rd 09, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article , diddy none
wrote:

The complaints of screaming, barking, temper tantrums and puppy biting
though.. I just don't see it.

She's complaining so much about this puppy, that she's thinking of
returning it to the breeder. I cannot fathom what the problem is. He's
here this time for 5 days.

The problem is her. Attitude is everything.

--
Janet Boss
Old January 23rd 09, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"diddy" none wrote in message:

She's complaining so much about this puppy, that she's thinking of
returning it to the breeder.

Is it possible to go to her house and watch their interaction? Or at least
sit down and get an exact list of what her schedule is like with the puppy.
It sure sounds like she's dropping the ball, and without more information,
you have no idea how.

Suja

Old January 23rd 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Suja" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"diddy" none wrote in message:

She's complaining so much about this puppy, that she's thinking of
returning it to the breeder.

Is it possible to go to her house and watch their interaction? Or at
least sit down and get an exact list of what her schedule is like with
the puppy. It sure sounds like she's dropping the ball, and without more
information, you have no idea how.

Suja

I've been there, done that. The only thing I'm seeing is what appears to be
rewarding him for bad behaviors. She ruffles his head when she scolds him.
She thinks she is beating him up.
I correct him once, the behavior vanishes forever. She's a PP trainer and
thinks she can love the behaviors out of him.

She has him in a PP puppy class. And everything she's learning from them
just isn't working. I've made one correction on him. Brief, definitive,
sudden, and it's over. Then went on like nothing ever happened. He was not
traumatized, but he didn't do it again either.

I think my dogs are busy showing him the ropes and told him not to mess
with mom. All the behaviors she's complained about, just aren't showing
themselves.

Her other dog is also a PP graduate (3 times) and makes Marley look like a
saint!

Old January 23rd 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara Green

"diddy" none wrote in message:

[...]

I think those last two comments might be the
crux of it (well, when you factor in the fact
that she has clearly not successfully trained
ANY dog, apparently).

Modelling is a powerful tool. VERY powerful,
as you know.

Sounds like he's modeling what he's exposed
to. That coupled with consistent handling and
clear messages is determining his
understanding of what's expected of him.

What a good boy! He's doing his best to
behave the way he thinks he should in each
household! Two sets of rules is a lot for a
puppy to function with. Sounds like he's
actually trying really hard:-(
Old January 23rd 09, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Tara Green spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"diddy" none wrote in message:

[...]

He is. He's the total package of my idea of a dream dog. He's perfect. I
just can't fathom why someone could find him a menace.
He's got unbelievable "watch". He's quick. He tries REALLY hard and
succeeds. He totally gets the rules here. Yes, there IS maintenence
supervision. He's a puppy, maintenence supervision comes with the package.
Anticipation before he gets in trouble, and a short "ech!" and he does a
rethink and do it right.

If i were in the market for another dog, he's EXACTLY what I'd be looking
for. I guess one person's trash is another's treasure. Everyone he's met
thinks he's WUNDERFUL!! And he is.
So what she's unhappy about, it certainly can't be the dog.

He sleeps all night. No midnight trips/no accidents. He doesn't play in
the house (reserves that for outside) and is quiet as a mouse. He does
everything I ask him immediately. I started trick training him this
morning. show him something once, and he has it.

He's tracking. I tracked him this morning on 2 fifty yard serpentines. He
downs at the start, indicates his articles on a down.

He bite me ONCE last week. He never tried it again after making a
correction. He tried surfing a chair when I left a piece of liver on it. I
stood and waited, gave him a swat on the pants, and he hasn't surfed
again. That piece of cooked venison liver has sat on that chair since 6 am
this morning. It's still there.

He takes corrections well, non-plussed, but remembers them. You show him
something once. He has it. He's got a wonderful retrieve. He's got a
wonderful recall. I had him out this morning off leash and took him for a
run in the woods for 2 hours while I went hunting. He stayed at my heels
almost all the time. If he strayed, a call, and he was right back with me.
Gun fire does not phase him.

He's asleep at my feet now, too tired. He was chewing a piggy ear, and is
now asleep mid-chew.

I just can't see anything about this puppy that anyone would not like.

I don't need another dog. If she wants to send him back, I'd take him. I'll
just have to train him as another service dog like his brother, and find
someone handicapped who needs him.

He's absolutely a perfect candidate for that kind of work. But he also
looks like he's going to be a really nice show dog.
Old January 23rd 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

diddy none wrote:

I have a puppy I got right before Christmas that I am training as a service
dog for someone in South Carolina. My friend also got a litter mate.

Her puppy has reported tantrums. He's not housebroken. She claims puppy
biting, no sleep, etc.

Oh dear. Could this be Reka's co-owner, by any chance?

She's complaining so much about this puppy, that she's thinking of
returning it to the breeder.

To be perfectly honest, I think that sounds like the best solution
for everyone involved. The puppy-raiser's clearly unhappy, the puppy
is in a really bad situation, and she's doing the service dog agency
absolutely NO favors by keeping him at this point.

I hope you can convince her to return him. He obviously deserves
better than he's getting.

Dianne
Old January 23rd 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

((null)) spoke these words of wisdom in
:

diddy none wrote:

I have a puppy I got right before Christmas that I am training as a
service dog for someone in South Carolina. My friend also got a litter
mate.

Her puppy has reported tantrums. He's not housebroken. She claims
puppy biting, no sleep, etc.

Oh dear. Could this be Reka's co-owner, by any chance?

Yup

She's complaining so much about this puppy, that she's thinking of
returning it to the breeder.

To be perfectly honest, I think that sounds like the best solution
for everyone involved. The puppy-raiser's clearly unhappy, the puppy
is in a really bad situation, and she's doing the service dog agency
absolutely NO favors by keeping him at this point.

No, this is her PERSONAL puppy. She wanted a dog just like Tuck. A big
Teddy bear, that's biddable. He is confident, and can do anything. She
got that in this puppy.

He's the carbon copy of Tuck at that age.

There were 9 males in that litter. The breeder had puppy buyers for GIRLS.
No one wants all those boys.

A person on the breed list needs a service dog. She did NOT want a puppy.
She needed a TRAINED dog. Her daughter trains service dogs in South
Carolina. But her agency only works with Golden retrievers. She's been
trying to talk her mother into a service dog for a long time. But the
mother does NOT want a Golden. She wants an Elkhound. So I told the
breeder I would take one of those puppies off her hands, if the person
wants a Service dog. I left the details between the breeder and the buyer.
I'm just the trainer/intermediary.

When this puppy (mine) sufficiently has the needed skills, I will travel to
South Carolina with the puppy and stay with her, until the dog has passed
and is commissioned as a service dog.

So there are two puppies and Two brothers in the mix here. She reported
that "my puppy" was perfect last night and today.

I thought if there was problems with my puppy, it would show there. But his
training has held.

He comes home today. HER puppy stays here for awhile.

So tonight I have two puppies. He went there last night, because I thought
the socialization would do him some good. But i don't trust him there for
long, in case she undoes his training.

I hope you can convince her to return him. He obviously deserves
better than he's getting.

But the breeder has no room for him, she will lock him in the kennel. She
has his brothers coming out of her ears.

I'd rather he stay here. I can make a job for him and find him a home. In
the interim, I've got 5 days to train him and make it stick.
He's good enough, I think this will work.

there is nothing about this pup NOT to like.
Dianne

Old January 24th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_2_]

. ..
:

The only thing I'm seeing is what appears to be
rewarding him for bad behaviors. She ruffles his head when she scolds
him.

If she is a "PP" trainer why is she scolding him? I thought "PP "trainers
didn't do that.

I correct him once, the behavior vanishes forever. .

Out of interest, how did you correct him and what were you trying to stop
him from doing?
Alison

Old January 24th 09, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Alison" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

. ..
:

The only thing I'm seeing is what appears to be
rewarding him for bad behaviors. She ruffles his head when she scolds
him.

If she is a "PP" trainer why is she scolding him? I thought "PP
"trainers
didn't do that.

He was biting her, and I told her not to let him do that. She looked
hopelessly and asked HOW. I told her to correct the behavior. So she
ruffled him on the cheeks as if she was petting him

We have different ideas on what a correction entails.

I correct him once, the behavior vanishes forever. .

Out of interest, how did you correct him and what were you trying to
stop
him from doing?
Alison

I grabbed his muzzle and squeezed firmly, saying no. This is a very
impressionable pup who wants to do right, and got the message on the first
try.
MOST pups aren't that easy.