Old dog suddenly spry

Old January 25th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Old dog suddenly spry

The oddest thing happened with our 14 year old dog. She's not very
spry and stumbles a bit on the stairs, mostly she lays around. Pretty
much to be expected.

Yesterday I gave her a bath in the bathtub. We'd changed out the
showerhead to a flexible one for dog baths, and she had a long, warm
shower and massage to get the stinky off.

She had to stay in the bathroom for several hours to dry (long haired
dog, too cold outside).

When we let her out, she was dancing all over the house. Spry,
energetic, bouncing all over with energy. It was as if we'd given her
pep pills. She stayed like that until bedtime, dancing all over the
house.

Looked all over the internet and didn't find reference to this. Our
best guess is that she's arthritic and somehow the warm water eased
the old bones. Today she's back to normal.

Looking up arthritis and dogs etc. only brought info on pills and
diets. No reference to a warm bath.

Has anybody experienced this?

Shari

------
Dogs and bears, sports and cars, and patriots t-shirts
http://www.villagetshirts.com
WlND0WS and MAClNT0SH shareware games
http://www.gypsyware.com
Old January 25th 09, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote in

m:

Has anybody experienced this?

I've never had a dog *not* race and zoom and dance around like crazy
after a bath. It's perfectly normal behavior.

--
Shelly
Old January 26th 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dale Atkin

wrote
Looking up arthritis and dogs etc. only brought info on pills and
diets. No reference to a warm bath.

Has anybody experienced this?

It is a fairly typical reaction after a bath for my guys (but I just towel
them down first, I don't let them fully dry...both labs).

How long since last bath?

Have you thought about trying again (see if you can replicate the results)?

Is she on anything for arthritis? Any other meds?

Sounds like she was feeling really good, and just had to tell everyone about
it , which is always nice to see with an older dog, and certainly
something you'd want to see if you can address (in terms of finding why she
doesn't feel great all the time).

Dale

Old January 26th 09, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
~shady_angel~

wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I do a part time dog wash/ walk job from home and I have 2 old dogs one
rottie and one german shepard. The rottie is 15 and riddled with arthrits
and hates getting to the wash but once she's in she loves it and after jumps
around like a idiot puppy all day.
The shepards (12) actually been reported jumping over her very tall fence
(7 ft?) after a wash just to see her owner coming home and jumped right back
over when she seen her! tTey diffinately prefer the warm water to the cold
but on a hot day I do a cold rinse when we've finished.
Watch she doesn't do somthing to hurt herself while she's feeling better.
~shady~

Old January 26th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

I was a little worried she'd hurt herself. Being a housedog she does
get baths regularly, but I confess not as much these last two years
since getting our other dog. Time divided and all that.

To see her so unexpectedly spry where normally she takes her time on
stairs and so forth, was such a wow. She gets excited over treats and
such but I haven't seen her sustain that level of energy in years.
For many hours she danced all around, if she laid down she immediately
got back up again with a big doggie smile and started dancing again.

It appeared as if she were so overjoyed with suddenly feeling good,
she wanted to revel in it. I know the feeling of getting old. I wish
I knew something that would give me that good feely place for hours
and make the old bones feel young again :-)

---
Old January 27th 09, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

wrote in message
I was a little worried she'd hurt herself. Being a housedog she does
get baths regularly, but I confess not as much these last two years
since getting our other dog. Time divided and all that.

To see her so unexpectedly spry where normally she takes her time on
stairs and so forth, was such a wow. She gets excited over treats and
such but I haven't seen her sustain that level of energy in years.
For many hours she danced all around, if she laid down she immediately
got back up again with a big doggie smile and started dancing again.

It appeared as if she were so overjoyed with suddenly feeling good,
she wanted to revel in it. I know the feeling of getting old. I wish
I knew something that would give me that good feely place for hours
and make the old bones feel young again :-)

Maybe it was a combination of the warm bath, the extended massage, and the
two hours of dry heat in the bathroom that worked wonders. It sounds like a
wonderful Swedish spa with a great masseuse and sauna. Have you tried a
treatment such as that? You could go to a local fitness center and give it
a try.

Here is a link on Dog Massage (but it sounds like you already have it "down
pat")
http://www.pawsitivefeelings.com/DVD.html

This might be a spoof video:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/180890...t_dog_massage/

Here is a (sort of) sauna for pets, but it's a bit pricy:
http://www.petgadgets.com/product_de...&content_id=80

Speaking of warmth, we're ready to crawl back in bed with an electric
mattress pad and electric blanket. I don't want to deal with the snow out
there...

Paul and Muttley

Old January 29th 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
SS

wrote in message
[...]

Yip our 14 year old border collie does the same.
Damn thing is suicidal for a couple of hours after a warm bath.
He must pull a few `G` running around the corners in the house.
Alas, then he eventually goes to sleep and dreams about sheep. :-)

Suddenly . . . Joshuall Dog health 4 January 10th 05 02:07 PM
Dog suddenly scared of me Tom Dog behavior 40 July 17th 04 01:21 PM
Dog suddenly scared of me Tom Dog behavior 0 July 14th 04 04:42 PM
Suddenly Spooked Susan Fraser Dog behavior 21 May 16th 04 03:12 PM
Suddenly Spooked Susan Fraser Dog behavior 0 May 15th 04 10:05 PM