Working Siberian Huskies on A Prairie Home Companion

Old January 27th 09, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Working Siberian Huskies on A Prairie Home Companion

[]
Jen and Blake Freking take some dogs to talk to Garrison
Keillor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUgOoccbVzA

Old January 27th 09, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message :

Jen and Blake Freking take some dogs to talk to Garrison
Keillor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUgOoccbVzA

I caught a piece of the interview on A Prairie Home Companion over the
weekend. Didn't realize there was video to go with it.

Suja

Old January 27th 09, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Suja wrote:
I caught a piece of the interview on A Prairie Home Companion over the
weekend. Didn't realize there was video to go with it.

It's still radio, but they've got three dogs with them off
their teams.

Old January 27th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

(Melinda Shore) said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Jen and Blake Freking take some dogs to talk to Garrison
Keillor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUgOoccbVzA

No matter how many times I hear it about some mushers, I can't
get over it: 80 dogs??!!

That's a whole lotta work, but what with pre-prime and past-
prime dogs, I guess it takes that many to support a few working
teams. It's good that they take such good care of their
retirees; the Frekings are good spokesmen for their sport.

Old January 27th 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Rocky wrote:
No matter how many times I hear it about some mushers, I can't
get over it: 80 dogs??!!
That's a whole lotta work, but what with pre-prime and past-
prime dogs, I guess it takes that many to support a few working
teams. It's good that they take such good care of their
retirees; the Frekings are good spokesmen for their sport.

I think so, too, and it doesn't hurt that they're young and
photogenic. They get a lot of support from their families
plus it's typical for a working kennel of any size to have
at least one "handler" on staff, taking care of a lot of the
maintenance, cleaning, etc., and sometimes running puppy
teams or B strings. There are tons of those sorts of jobs
posted on sleddogcentral.com, for someone looking for a way
to pass the winter doing something completely out of the
ordinary.

It was Jen's team that was hit by a drunk on a skidoo
during the Iditarod last year. One dog was killed and
another crippled.