Should I take her?

Old January 27th 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Default Should I take her?

A couple of years ago, Zipper's litter brother (group placer) was bred
to Nancy, a BIS winner. One of the puppies was a evil little black bitch
who ended up being named Prada (as in, the Devil wears). I fell in love
with her and told Pam that after her show and breeding career was over
if she needed a home I'd take her.

This morning Pam called and offered her to me. The thing is, she wants
to leave her intact for at least another year, then lease her back for a
litter that Pam would whelp. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to deal with
heat seasons in the house with Zipper, who is still intact himself.
No, I'm not planning to neuter Zip and no, a breeding between them would
not be a good thing.

I'm laid off and money is tight, which is another consideration. On the
other hand, that means I'd be home to acclimitize her. But I always
thought I'd go down to one dobe before bringing another dog into the
house. This would be *four*. Okay, two 60# dogs and two 10# dogs, so I
guess it's still under 100# of dog.

Mostly just airing out my thought process here. If I take her, she'll
come home after Westminster.
Old January 27th 09, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article lJEfl.490524$TT4.404301@attbi_s22,
Robin Nuttall wrote:

Okay, two 60# dogs and two 10# dogs, so I
guess it's still under 100# of dog.

Very reasonable criteria, but your math is screwy (I count 140#). My 3
total 173# and that's nothing!

--
Janet Boss
Old January 27th 09, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa

*Robin Nuttall wrote:

Okay, two 60# dogs and two 10# dogs, so I
guess it's still under 100# of dog.

Very reasonable criteria, but your math is screwy (I count 140#). *My 3
total 173# and that's nothing!

--
Janet Bosswww.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

my two are over #150 now... as far as I'm concerned no house is
complete with less than 200 pounds of dog....

hard choice...

and i don't know if I would want to deal with a bitch in season.
truly. I do have a teen daughter that's bad enough.
Old January 27th 09, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Nessa wrote:

hard choice...

and i don't know if I would want to deal with a bitch in season.
truly. I do have a teen daughter that's bad enough.

That's the big sticking point. That and taking on something like this
when I'm unemployed.

If I could just help her find a home for Cutty she could keep Prada and
I could get her later after she's spayed.

Anyone want a Min Pin that bites? He's learned that biting gets him his
way. Being tough with him in return has very bad results because then he
gets scared and bites more. The thing is, when he's treated fairly and
given some room and respect, when he realizes the human is fair, he does
a complete turn around. He tried to bite me a single time, I just
brushed it off. And since then he's thought I was the best human ever.
He's clean, sweet, and has a lot of agility potential. I'd take him in a
red hot second if he and Zipper did not totally despise each other. He's
a Champion, he's neutered. He needs an experienced trainer but honest,
he is NOT a bad dog, just a dog who needs the right owner match.

Anyone want him???
Old January 27th 09, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message:

I'm just not sure if I'm ready to deal with heat seasons in the house with
Zipper, who is still intact himself.

2 heats in a year, and if she's going to be bred at the second heat, that
only leaves you one to deal with. It won't be pleasant, but it's 21 days
out of 300+. Now, is it an option for you to bunk Zipper with friends or
something during the heat? It'd be less stressful, if you could work it out
that way.

I'm laid off and money is tight, which is another consideration.

To me, that's a bigger issue. Would there be enough to go around if one of
the older dogs do what older dogs tend to do and develop an issue? If the
care of existing dogs will be compromised, this would be a non-starter.

Okay, two 60# dogs and two 10# dogs, so I guess it's still under 100# of
dog.

I'll give you the benefit of the 'early morning math' here.

Out of curiosity, do you anticipate any issues between the doberdawgs and
Ms. Prada if you were to bring her home?

Suja

Old January 27th 09, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
Very reasonable criteria, but your math is screwy (I count 140#). My 3
total 173# and that's nothing!

I've got about 360lbs of dog. The truck rides differently
fully loaded.

Old January 27th 09, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Suja wrote:

To me, that's a bigger issue. Would there be enough to go around if one of
the older dogs do what older dogs tend to do and develop an issue? If the
care of existing dogs will be compromised, this would be a non-starter.

I don't know. Probably, but there are no guarantees. I'm back to doing
freelance work and things are going okay, but with freelance it can be
feast or famine. The thing is, there's pretty much nothing out there.
There's sort of a breaking point where some jobs pay so little that they
aren't worth taking; I end up more in the hole than if I didn't take
them. Which sucks, but I've realized that I'm far better off than many.
At least I do have something I can do at home!

Okay, two 60# dogs and two 10# dogs, so I guess it's still under 100# of
dog.

I'll give you the benefit of the 'early morning math' here.

Um, yeah. Math. Never my strong point. Especially not in the morning.

Out of curiosity, do you anticipate any issues between the doberdawgs and
Ms. Prada if you were to bring her home?

Nothing I can't deal with.
Old January 27th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Robin Nuttall said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I'm just not sure if I'm ready to deal with
heat seasons in the house with Zipper, who is still
intact himself.

How she gets along with your other dogs seems a more important
factor. The heat season(s) are manageable (IMO) even though
I've never managed one with an intact dog living in the same
place. Would Pam take her back for that month?

I'm laid off and money is tight, which is another
consideration. On the other hand, that means I'd be home to
acclimitize her.

The latter outweighs the former (again, IMO). Training you'd do
on your own, so expense-free - would you be entering her in
anything?

But I always thought I'd go down to one
dobe before bringing another dog into the house. This would
be *four*. Okay, two 60# dogs and two 10# dogs, so I guess
it's still under 100# of dog.

Your arithmetic sounds wishful, or are you taking into account
the levitation aspects of Zipper and your new dog to be?

Old January 27th 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Rocky" wrote in message
Robin Nuttall said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

But I always thought I'd go down to one
dobe before bringing another dog into the house. This would
be *four*. Okay, two 60# dogs and two 10# dogs, so I guess
it's still under 100# of dog.

Your arithmetic sounds wishful, or are you taking into account
the levitation aspects of Zipper and your new dog to be?

Small dogs exhibit anti-gravitational effects and have negative mass. The
ones I've experienced have to be held down lest they become airborne!

Paul and Muttley (both gravitationally challenged)

Old January 27th 09, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Robin Nuttall wrote:

[...]

Three females in the house, one intact and greatly outmassed by the
other two... Bitch fights are awful, and in this particular situation
things could turn deadly for Prada.

What's your fallback position if things go all pear-shaped?