Amish Country Pork Ribs and Sauerkraut

Old January 28th 09, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

Default Amish Country Pork Ribs and Sauerkraut

A couple weeks ago I visited the Pennsylvania Dutch Market, just before
closing for the week, and the proprietor of Amish Country Meats offered me
a pile of Country Style Pork Ribs for $1/lb. It's not something I would
normally buy, but I could not resist the bargain, and asked what the best
way might be to cook it. I planned to just put them in a frying pan on low
heat until done, but he suggested sauerkraut, so I bought a bag from him
and went home.

Muttley was of course very interested in my purchases, but I gave him his
usual kibble, and looked up some recipes on the internet. There were
several variations, but mostly it seemed that you just put the meat and
sauerkraut in a crock pot with some other stuff and cook it for a few
hours.

There was more meat than would fit in the pot, so I did cook some of it in
a frying pan, but for the rest, here is (approximately) how I cooked the
rest:

Pop open a can of beer, pour half in the crockpot, and drink the rest.
Repeat as desired during cooking, but limit the amount you add to the pot.

Arrange the ribs in the pot, and plop the sauerkraut around them until they
are covered.
Add some molasses, honey, barbecue sauce, garlic, pepper, and vanilla. Be
creative. You can also add onions, green peppers, hot sauce, Worcestershire
sauce, apple butter, and other ingredients. If you feel extravagent, toss
in some whiskey or rum. Equal parts into the pot and the cook.

Set the pot on high, and enjoy another beer or two until your dog notifies
you that there is something wonderful going on in the kitchen. By now the
mixture is starting to boil, and it needs to be stirred a bit and tasted.
Add anything else that might be interesting, turn the heat down to low, and
zone out. Let it cook for at least four hours, or overnight, or while you
are at work. Make sure your dog is not a major counter surfer. This will be
a good test!

If all has gone well (and it takes a special kind of stupid to screw up a
crockpot dish), you will find a pleasing mixture of very tender chunks of
pork, sweet and mellow sauerkraut, and a sort of gravy with a wonderful
taste. There will also be quite a few bones that can be fished out, but be
careful to watch for bone chips.

I found this concoction best served over a mound of mashed potatoes, but
you can also use brown or white rice, or just slop it on a kaiser roll.
Anything to soak up the tasty juice. Also please give some to your dog who
has been drooling patiently for so many hours!

An hour or two later you may need to open some windows. Sauerkraut does
have some side effects on human and canine digestion. But it is so worth
it!

My question, ob dog, is whether or not it is OK to give him the cooked rib
bones. I made some of this for my friends over the weekend, and they gave a
couple of bones to their terrier mix. I'm sure Muttley would also enjoy
them, and he does chew everything well, so he has eaten chicken bones with
no problem, but I just don't know about pork ribs. Probably better safe
than sorry, and Muttley did get to lick the bowl after he sat watching me
eat my portion, but it would be nice if he could also enjoy the bones.

Paul and Muttley - Burrpp!

Old January 28th 09, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Paul E. Schoen wrote:
A couple weeks ago I visited the Pennsylvania Dutch Market, just before

I've been there!

closing for the week, and the proprietor of Amish Country Meats offered me
a pile of Country Style Pork Ribs for $1/lb. It's not something I would
normally buy, but I could not resist the bargain, and asked what the best
way might be to cook it. I planned to just put them in a frying pan on low
heat until done, but he suggested sauerkraut, so I bought a bag from him
and went home.

They are great on the grill too.

Muttley was of course very interested in my purchases, but I gave him his
usual kibble, and looked up some recipes on the internet. There were
several variations, but mostly it seemed that you just put the meat and
sauerkraut in a crock pot with some other stuff and cook it for a few
hours.

There was more meat than would fit in the pot, so I did cook some of it in

Ya should have saved a couple raw ones for Muttley.

[...]

Never ever feed cooked bones. Raw only. Cooking makes them want to splinter.

Old January 28th 09, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot[_2_]

NO, it's not safe to give dogs cooked bones they will splinter.

Celeste

--
Save 25% or more on your eBay® auctions
Snipe eBay Auctions with Bidnip

Old January 28th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Spot" wrote in news:x4Ofl.167$N5.86
@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

NO, it's not safe to give dogs cooked bones they will splinter.

Paul will not be satisfied until he kills his dog, hopefully in a way
that garners him as much attention as possible. So, um, well done.

--
Shelly
Old January 28th 09, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

"chardonnay9" wrote in message
m...

Ya should have saved a couple raw ones for Muttley.

They are rather difficult to get the meat off the bones, but I'm sure I can
extract a couple of them. I do regularly give him big beef marrow bones,
which he enjoys immensely. The best price I've found for them is $0.99/lb
at Food Lion. Safeway wants $1.49, and the Amish Market charges $1.99/lb.

Never ever feed cooked bones. Raw only. Cooking makes them want to
splinter.

That's what I thought. He is really good about chewing them up, but
probably better safe than sorry.

Paul and Muttley

Old January 28th 09, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

"Shelly" wrote in message
1...
"Spot" wrote in news:x4Ofl.167$N5.86
@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

NO, it's not safe to give dogs cooked bones they will splinter.

Paul will not be satisfied until he kills his dog, hopefully in a way
that garners him as much attention as possible. So, um, well done.

Yes, pork should always be well done...

Don't want to get that trickynosis, or Mad Sow disease...

Paul and Muttley

Old January 28th 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Paul E. Schoen wrote:
"chardonnay9" wrote in message
m...

Ya should have saved a couple raw ones for Muttley.

They are rather difficult to get the meat off the bones, but I'm sure I can
extract a couple of them.

Don't take the meat off, let Muttley do it. The same ribs are going on
sale here tomorrow for 99 cents a pound and I plan on getting a few
packs, for me and the dogs both. The best ones don't have added water,
salt and sugar. Neither the dogs nor I need all that.

I do regularly give him big beef marrow bones,
which he enjoys immensely. The best price I've found for them is $0.99/lb
at Food Lion. Safeway wants $1.49, and the Amish Market charges $1.99/lb.

Just watch his teeth for signs of wear. Dogs are naturally into bones
because it gets the digestive juices going while just kibble fills them
up before that happens. Makes them feel full faster.

Never ever feed cooked bones. Raw only. Cooking makes them want to
splinter.

That's what I thought. He is really good about chewing them up, but
probably better safe than sorry.

I only let them have any food at all when I'm around, just in case.
However, I've fed this way for a lot of years now and I've never had a
problem.

Paul and Muttley

Old January 28th 09, 04:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Paul E. Schoen wrote:
"Shelly" wrote in message
1...
"Spot" wrote in news:x4Ofl.167$N5.86
@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

NO, it's not safe to give dogs cooked bones they will splinter.

Paul will not be satisfied until he kills his dog, hopefully in a way
that garners him as much attention as possible. So, um, well done.

Yes, pork should always be well done...

Nope, not anymore. It's safe to eat less than well done for people and
totally raw for dogs.

I don't know anyone that has had a problem with it.

Old January 28th 09, 06:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Nope, not anymore. It's safe to eat less than well done for people and
totally raw for dogs.

I don't know anyone that has had a problem with it.

Because you only see what you want to see.

1. How about words from the guy who actually started the BARF trend in 1993,
Dr. Ian Billinghurst, with his book: "Bones and Raw Food (BARF) diet."
http://home.att.net/~wdcusick/raw.html (link pertains to #1 and #2 for
citation)

At his Internet web site Dr. Belfield states: (HIS WORDS)
"As a veterinary practitioner for thirty-seven years and a veterinary meat
inspector for seven years, I, in good conscience, cannot recommend raw meat
diets to my clients. My advice to my clients is "cook the meat until the
redness is gone". When this is done, there is no vomiting, the cholesterol
level is normal, the risk of infection by microorganisms and parasites
diminishes."

2. Public health concerns associated with feeding raw meat diets to dogs
written by Jeffrey T. LeJeune, DMD, PhD, and Dale D. Hancock, DMD, PhD. The
article appeared in the November 1, 2001 issue of JAVMA

For a copy you can contact Dr. LeJeune. His present address is: Dr. LeJeune,
c/o Food Animal Health Research Program, Ohio Agriculture Research and
Development Center, The Ohio State University, Wooster, OH 44691-4096.

3. Try the Companion Animal Parasite Council who warns of danfers to pets
and people:
http://www.capcvet.org/downloads/RawFoodWarning.pdf

4. The FDA:
http://www.fda.gov/Fdac/features/2004/104_pets.html