Update on biting lab mix

Old January 27th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mac Cool

Default Update on biting lab mix

Polly is doing great. We have to curtail rough play otherwise it quickly
gets out of control but she seems happy enough to play tug-o-war instead
although she tends to go for your hand and you have to be very careful.

Another bright note, my twelve year old daughter has proven to have a gift
for dog training.
Old January 28th 09, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Mac Cool said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Polly is doing great. We have to curtail rough play
otherwise it quickly gets out of control but she seems
happy enough to play tug-o-war instead although she tends
to go for your hand and you have to be very careful.

That's really good news. I know a lot of Labs who think with
their play before they engage their brains - the hand stuff may
come from natural Lab exuberance.

Another bright note, my twelve year old daughter has proven
to have a gift for dog training.

That's also good news.

Speaking as someone who's experienced nipped hands, until Polly
has control over her playfulness I'd watch her with your
daughter.

Old January 28th 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Mac Cool" wrote in message
Polly is doing great. We have to curtail rough play otherwise it quickly
gets out of control but she seems happy enough to play tug-o-war instead
although she tends to go for your hand and you have to be very careful.

Another bright note, my twelve year old daughter has proven to have a
gift
for dog training.

I hope things really have improved and you can really trust and enjoy your
dog. I was wary for a long time after Muttley's one human bite incident and
his dog aggression in class, but after many good experiences with people
and other dogs, I feel much more confident. He also really seems more
settled, now that he is past his adolescence. He was about two years old
when those things happened, and about six months later he really seemed to
settle down a lot more. Of course, I also finally officially adopted him
and bonded more strongly with him, which made a big difference.

But it concerns me that Polly still sometimes "goes for your hand", and you
have to be so careful with playing. Maybe it is still the fact that she is
less than a year old, and has a lot more to learn, but my experience with
Muttley (and also Lucky) was without any worry of either of them actually
biting me. Even testing them by removing their food while they were eating,
and hand feeding them small pieces of meat or cheese held in my fingers,
resulted in nothing more than just feeling their teeth with no attempt at
biting.

Today, when my friend delivered some firewood, I had Muttley tied outside,
and he played rather roughly with him, but he never acted in any way
aggressive. He never even barked or growled or showed his teeth. He did
jump up on my friend, but that was pretty much at his invitation, and he
even threw some snowballs at Muttley, which just caused him to bounce
around and eat some snow. Sometimes he would run up on the porch with me,
and then he would run back to play some more. When the play ended, Muttley
just sat or walked around in the snow, keeping watch on things.

When Muttley is in bed with me, I can push him around or touch him anywhere
without any sign of protest, and usually if I want him to get off the bed I
just have to ask him. If I have food I am sharing with him, he carefully
licks it off the plate or the wrapper, and gently licks any residue off my
fingers.

He is a little bit more aggressive when I am playing "fetch the stick",
because he wants to chew on it when it is in his mouth. When I take it from
him, he initially resists, and then just lets it go without trying to grab
it again, and he will only take it back very carefully when I hand it to
him. If I throw it, he will gleefully pounce on it and bring it back, but I
am still working on having him hand it to to me. Usually he drops it, or I
have to take it from him while he is still carrying it.

I've also had kids hug him and pet him, with no sign of annoyance or
dangerous behavior. Until you can be assured of that in many situations, I
think you still need to be careful, and you probably still have a lot of
work to do. But I am glad that you have made such good progress!

Paul and Muttley

Old January 28th 09, 06:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
William Clodius

Mac Cool wrote:

Polly is doing great. We have to curtail rough play otherwise it quickly
gets out of control but she seems happy enough to play tug-o-war instead
although she tends to go for your hand and you have to be very careful.

Great

Another bright note, my twelve year old daughter has proven to have a gift
for dog training.

Get them into 4H. My daughters loved it at that age, and still do.
Old February 2nd 09, 09:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mac Cool

William Clodius:

Get them into 4H. My daughters loved it at that age, and still do.

I know she would love 4H but unfortunately we can't keep livestock where
we live.
Old February 2nd 09, 12:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Mac Cool" wrote in message

I know she would love 4H but unfortunately we can't keep livestock
where
we live.

4H is not just for livestock! Have you ever checked out the 4H exhibits
at your local county fair? I think they're some of the most fun parts
of the fair. Kids do scientific research, arts and crafts, and *dog
training*. I don't know where you live, but if there is a 4H group near
you, it's worth checking out.

--
Shelly

Old February 2nd 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Shelly wrote:
"Mac Cool" wrote in message

I know she would love 4H but unfortunately we can't keep livestock where
we live.

4H is not just for livestock! Have you ever checked out the 4H exhibits
at your local county fair? I think they're some of the most fun parts
of the fair. Kids do scientific research, arts and crafts, and *dog
training*. I don't know where you live, but if there is a 4H group near
you, it's worth checking out.

In Missouri, 4H does Obedience, Agility, Rally, and Junior Showmanship.
We have a HUGE group in Boone County, with often 50-60 kids every
Thursday night. They learn dog care, grooming, handling, training. They
get to show at the State Fair if they qualify.

Last year at the State Fair Eddie Dziuk judged Juniors. He's doing
Westminster's Juniors finals next week and is one of Uno's owners. He
gave it to a little girl with a mix who was impeccable in her
preparation and gaiting, over several Ch dogs.
Old February 2nd 09, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Robin Nuttall said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

In Missouri, 4H does Obedience, Agility, Rally, and Junior
Showmanship.

In Calgary, too. I was once asked to judge a 4H agility
graduation - when I got there, I found I was supposed to judge
obedience, too. The organisers covered for me and it was a lot
of fun.

It is so cool to watch kids compete with dogs - they combine
seriousness and fun in a unique way. AAC has an agility title
path where the accomplishments follow the kid, not the dog.
Unfortunately, it's not popular locally, but 4H bridges the gap.

Old February 3rd 09, 06:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
William Clodius

Mac Cool wrote:

William Clodius:

Get them into 4H. My daughters loved it at that age, and still do.

I know she would love 4H but unfortunately we can't keep livestock where
we live.

I thought the context implied 4H dog competitions. 4H does a lot of
different things, not just livestock, as befits an organization with
over 5.9 million youth members. It claims to be the largest youth
organization in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-H
http://4-h.org/

While I was the one who saw the 4H poster at the dog obediance club and
suggested that it was a good idea to participate, I have left the
details up to my daughters. If your daughter is interested I suggest
contacting either your local 4H council or your local county extension
service to find out how to get involved with dogs in 4H. Our community,
while not large, ~20,000 people, has an active dog obediance club which
helps the youth find knowledgeable adults to supervise them. The youth
learn not only dog obedience, but also showmansh, agility, and rally-o.
However on the state get togethers: a dog school in mid spring and the
state fair in early fall, they meet with kids from the big Albuquerque
clubs, and others from farm communities learning dog training on their
own.

In addition to their involvement with dog training, my daughters have
become involved in the 4H council. They particularly enjoy the 4H
leadership get together in late winter. A chance to meet young preppies
from Albuquerque, nerds from Los Alamos, Hispanic farmers from Hatch,
cowboys from near Ruidoso, and Indian shepherds from near Grants with a
central common interest in 4H gives them a better view of what some of
the rest of the world was like.

FWIW I have recently rescued from my wife's old computer some photos
taken during the spring dog school

Old February 4th 09, 08:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mac Cool

Shelly:

4H is not just for livestock!

I had no idea. Every person I've ever known in 4H raised livestock so I
never knew they did anything else. I'll check it out, thanks.

biting dog Lacustral Dog behavior 1 March 1st 07 06:30 AM
biting dog diddy Dog behavior 0 February 28th 07 11:51 AM
Biting? mabigwiz Dog behavior 2 June 15th 05 08:49 PM
Biting Dog DollarBill Dog behavior 7 May 15th 05 10:08 PM