Warning to Milan Wannabees

Old January 31st 09, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Default Warning to Milan Wannabees

If you decide that strapping on the roller blades is a good way to get
in some high intensity winter exercise for a high intensity bored border
collie, it might be well to review that particular dog's psychological
quirks first.

Specifically, does that dog have a history of issues with wheels? Is he
creeped out by wagons, skateboards?

And if so, how observant is that particular dog?

My daughter made it about 200 yards with Zane loping joyously ahead of
her, towing her uphill, until he glanced back and realized that she
wasn't running but was, in fact, rolling.

We shall draw the curtain on the aftermath, suffice it to say it
involved limping home in stocking feet, carrying the skates.

Old February 1st 09, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyrie

"Kathleen" wrote in message
If you decide that strapping on the roller blades is a good way to get in
some high intensity winter exercise for a high intensity bored border
collie, it might be well to review that particular dog's psychological
quirks first.

Specifically, does that dog have a history of issues with wheels? Is he
creeped out by wagons, skateboards?

And if so, how observant is that particular dog?

My daughter made it about 200 yards with Zane loping joyously ahead of
her, towing her uphill, until he glanced back and realized that she wasn't
running but was, in fact, rolling.

We shall draw the curtain on the aftermath, suffice it to say it involved
limping home in stocking feet, carrying the skates.

I'm sorry, but the visualization of Zane's face made me laugh out loud...
I hope your daughter wasn't too badly hurt.
--
Phyrie
Kiba the Cav's Pics:

Old February 1st 09, 04:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Phyrie wrote:
"Kathleen" wrote in message

If you decide that strapping on the roller blades is a good way to get in
some high intensity winter exercise for a high intensity bored border
collie, it might be well to review that particular dog's psychological
quirks first.

Specifically, does that dog have a history of issues with wheels? Is he
creeped out by wagons, skateboards?

And if so, how observant is that particular dog?

My daughter made it about 200 yards with Zane loping joyously ahead of
her, towing her uphill, until he glanced back and realized that she wasn't
running but was, in fact, rolling.

We shall draw the curtain on the aftermath, suffice it to say it involved
limping home in stocking feet, carrying the skates.

I'm sorry, but the visualization of Zane's face made me laugh out loud...
I hope your daughter wasn't too badly hurt.

Visualizing my daughter's face when he turned and leaped at her skates
is what gets me. And no, she wasn't badly hurt.

Old February 1st 09, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Kathleen" wrote in message

Visualizing my daughter's face when he turned and leaped at her skates is
what gets me. And no, she wasn't badly hurt.

I did not think about the dog attacking the skates - I thought he just took
off running really fast. I am glad that Muttley does not seem to be
bothered by such things. He has encountered lots of bicyclists on the NCRR
trail, wheelchairs, and cars with no particular interest in chasing them or
otherwise causing problems.

I have thought about rigging Muttley to a sled or a goat cart and see what
would happen. It might be fun, or I might wind up being pulled into the
bushes or down an embankment!

Paul and Mellow Muttley