poop eating

Old December 21st 04, 03:13 AM
markak15

Default poop eating

I have a 22 week old German Shorthair pointer puppy that WILL NOT stop
eating his own poop. It doesn't seem to matter how high quality the
food is...we've tried Nutro's Natural Choice Lamb and Rice and also
Nature's Recipe Lamb and Rice....we're planning on trying Science Diet
next. We've tried using Deter, we've tried dumping hot sauce on it (he
likes that even more), we've tried training him. Nothing works. Any
ideas on how to stop this? it's disgusting.

Old December 21st 04, 03:19 AM
Tee

"markak15" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 22 week old German Shorthair pointer puppy that WILL NOT stop
eating his own poop. It doesn't seem to matter how high quality the
food is...we've tried Nutro's Natural Choice Lamb and Rice and also
Nature's Recipe Lamb and Rice....we're planning on trying Science Diet
next. We've tried using Deter, we've tried dumping hot sauce on it (he
likes that even more), we've tried training him. Nothing works. Any
ideas on how to stop this? it's disgusting.

First, stop changing your puppy's food. Food changing in short intervals of
time is not a good idea.

He might just like the taste of the stool or he somehow learned & retained
the habit from when he was in the litter as bitches tend to clean up after
their pups.

If you want to approach this from a lack of vitamin/mineral angle then try
adding a puppy supplement to his food rather than changing the food.

Obviously the best way to keep him from eating his stool is to clean it up
before he has an opportunity to eat it. I've found that cayenne pepper,
sprinkled *liberally* works better than hot sauce so you might want to try
that.

--
Tara

Old December 21st 04, 03:49 AM
markak15

I'm not chaning it over short intervals....We've had the dog for 5
months now so these foods have been tried over long periods of time. We
do clean up the poop quickly...but you can't be there everytime the dog
goes.

Tee wrote:
oups.com...

Old December 21st 04, 03:54 AM
Rocky

markak15 said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

We
do clean up the poop quickly...but you can't be there
everytime the dog goes.

Why not? If the dog defecates outside but is inside when you're
not home, it's straightforward.

Old December 21st 04, 05:22 AM
Tee

"markak15" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm not chaning it over short intervals....We've had the dog for 5
months now so these foods have been tried over long periods of time. We
do clean up the poop quickly...but you can't be there everytime the dog
goes.

I assumed you got him as an 8wo puppy which would have been 3.5 months ago.
Two food changes in 3 months and facing another would be considered short
intervals for a pup. I didn't realize you'd had him since he was born.

Either way it seems you're hoping for a miracle cure and there is none. To
avoid all coprophagia clean up all poop as soon as it hits the ground. To
try and discourage coprophagia use taste aversives like cayenne pepper and
try adding supplements to the puppy's food.

There's really no definitive cure. Some dogs eat feces because they like
to, same as they like to chew on leather, wood or grass. Some do it as a
response to a lack of something in their diet. Some do it because they
learned to do it from some other source. The cure depends on the cause.

--
Tara

Old December 22nd 04, 02:13 PM

Try feeding him 1-2 fig newtons a day. It does something to the
smell/taste of the poop. It will take about 5-7 days to work and if you
stop they start up again. So any training you can do in combination
with the figs will help. I have a rescue (filthy puppy mill)that does
this. Now that winter is here and i'm not outside with him (watching
from the window) he has started again. He just gets this look on his
face like he is in a cookie jar! so gross! thankfully he isn't a dog
that gives kisses. Scooping every day will definitely help but i'm bad
at it.

Good luck! at least you have a younger puppy, kasey is 2 or older. I
also have an older allergy dog so i have to hide giving the figs to the
other dog

tracey

Old December 24th 04, 03:38 AM
Cin

There's really no definitive cure. Some dogs eat feces because they like
to, same as they like to chew on leather, wood or grass. Some do it as a
response to a lack of something in their diet. Some do it because they
learned to do it from some other source. The cure depends on the cause.

My 14 year old Staffy started to do this. We took a sample and found that he
wasnt digesting his food. It was going in one end and straight out the
other. He is on some meds now (no idea what, he lives with my parents) and
for the most part has stopped. We catch him once in a while, But not like we
used to.

My Bull Terrier 16 months eats his. He has been checked out and tested and
poked and prodded... conclusion... he just likes it.

"Nothing works. Any
ideas on how to stop this? it's disgusting."

My vets reply would be "that is what a dog is.... disgusting... they lick
them selves and no one says anything... but when they start eating poop? ...
where does poop come out of?"

I love my vet

Clean it up ASAP, My boy is inside when i am home but is outside during the
day when I am at work, so i am not withhim all day.

I was told that there is a med you can get that makes it taste horrid, i
never bothered trying it because At only does it every now and then, i dont
want to put him on unnecessary meds.

Oh... Dont let him kiss you on the face!!

Cin