Our English Cocker Spaniel - Final Report

Old December 21st 04, 03:23 AM
Jack Ferman

Default Our English Cocker Spaniel - Final Report

We had the pleasure of Molly's company for 15 3/4 years. The vet once said
she was a credit to her breed. She was a black & white with bandit black
patches over her eyes - bandit was apt for no unprotected food was safe
for long. She loved those times on Lake Superior's NorShore trails when we
would let her run free. She never, ever got out of sight of us and often
would come back when we fell too far behind. I always supposed it was her
way of telling us to hurry up - there are many trees ahead to be smelled.
She loved the water and swam at every opportunity - sometimes she made her
own opportunities. The English Cocker is a very smart breed and is very
good at problem solving. But she was superb at obedience - just one 'come'
was all it ever took. But age has its price - last summer we did not think
she could handle to hills and climbs of the NorShor. So we had to leave
her home - it was the mosr boring vacation either of us ever had. No Molly
to share the couch or the wooden bench swing with. Her last months were
grim. Her hearing was nearly gone - only very loud sounds got through. Her
vision was nearly gone, I think she could only distinguish brightness,
though she did show signs of recognizing us. The vet said she was senile -
she seemed not to know when she had to evacuate bowels and bladder - she
ceased going to the back door to go out. She even ceased barking, maybe
she did but no sound came out. Everyone felt Molly no longer had any
quality of life - we thought it cruel to keep her alive - so last Saturday
afternoon we took her to our local Animal Humane Society. God, it was
tough - still is, too.
Old December 21st 04, 04:12 AM
CCDOX

It sounds like Molly had a wonderful life with you and was well-loved. She
will always be with you in your hearts. My sincerest condolences.
Dorothy, owned by C.C., a very spoiled dachshund