Lure coursing

Old August 22nd 04, 02:44 AM
Frank Morris

Default Lure coursing

Howdy All,
I have noticed lately that lure coursing has been picked up by breeds
other than the sighthounds and I was wondering if anyone here has lure
coursed in competition or for fun or uses a lure to condition their
dogs?=BF
I picked up the website below on an e-mail group. If there is anyone
in the northeast Ohio area this might interest you.
www.pfyrewhpts.com/NCC.htm

Frank X. Morris
http://community.webtv.net/Sulkhalil/SalukiCornerChime

Old August 22nd 04, 02:58 AM
Rocky

Frank Morris said in rec.pets.dogs.activities:

I have noticed lately that lure coursing has been picked up
by breeds other than the sighthounds and I was wondering if
anyone here has lure coursed in competition or for fun or
uses a lure to condition their dogs?

A friend runs Basenji and Borzoi in lure coursing. I regret not
entering a fun run her club sponsored a while ago. Friday might
just give those sighthounds a run for their money.

Old August 22nd 04, 04:53 AM
Frank Morris

Howdy Matt,
Hope you try it some day. I haven't lure coursed in a long time. The
way it used to be when you had different breeds running against each
other they are judged like they judge a dog show. In a dog show each
breed is judged against its own standard. In lure coursing a judge
judges a breed on how they think that breed should run. So if you had a
Saluki a Whippet and a Basenji you don't judge what the dogs are doing
compared to the others. Things may have changed.

Old August 22nd 04, 07:44 AM
Christy

"Frank Morris" wrote in message
Howdy All,
I have noticed lately that lure coursing has been picked up by breeds
other than the sighthounds and I was wondering if anyone here has lure
coursed in competition or for fun or uses a lure to condition their
dogs?¿

Last month, there was a big charity fundraiser event in San Diego, featuring
a variety of different dog activities including two lure coursing setups -
one open field, one kind of a chute course with obstacles. I only did the
latter, because I was a little worried about my dog tripping on the lure
lines, and having a herding breed, I figured he's anticipate the lure's
movement and head it off. It was a blast - I think I ended up running him
close to 10 times, and got some really neat photos from the event. There was
a huge variety of dogs running the course, some as far from sighthounds as
you could get (Yorkie!? Boston!? Bernese Mountain Dog!?) and they all seemed
to love it, from the noise level in the waiting area. Wylie turned in some
really fast times, not the fastest but pretty amazing nonetheless, and the
only drawback was when he figured out that the run ended at the box when the
lure went through a hole smaller than he was. He didn't want to go in the
box if he couldn't get at that lure. Incidentally, the hole was enlarged at
some point, thanks to a JRT.

Christy

Old August 22nd 04, 05:31 PM
Frank Morris

Howdy Christy,
Fun isn't it !=A1 Next time try the regular lure course. The line has
an extremely safe record but like any activity it isn't 100% safe. All
breeds have smart dogs that try to anticipate the lure. You just have to
try it to find out. There are things you can do to help prevent them
from cheating :-) One last thing FYI. Don't use the term open field when
talking about lure coursing. Open field coursing is another event so you
don't want to confuse me :-)

Old August 23rd 04, 04:44 PM
diannes

Frank Morris wrote:
I have noticed lately that lure coursing has been picked up by breeds
other than the sighthounds and I was wondering if anyone here has lure
coursed in competition or for fun or uses a lure to condition their
dogs?

Sure, I've done the latter. Patience Briard is crazy for coursing and
I used to take her once a week. It was my favorite means of conditioning
since I got to just stand there while she did all the work. *g*

Unfortunately since we moved I haven't been able to find any all-breed
coursing practices in Northern California. If anyone knows of any, please
feel free to email me with details!

Dianne

Old August 23rd 04, 08:56 PM
Christy

"Frank Morris" wrote in message
Howdy Christy,
Fun isn't it !¡ Next time try the regular lure course. The line has
an extremely safe record but like any activity it isn't 100% safe. All
breeds have smart dogs that try to anticipate the lure. You just have to
try it to find out. There are things you can do to help prevent them
from cheating :-) One last thing FYI. Don't use the term open field when
talking about lure coursing. Open field coursing is another event so you
don't want to confuse me :-)

Sorry! g Its like they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I'm
not sure if that's what they were calling that course vs. the little
obstacle course one - do they actually have terms for those, or not?
I'm going back next year JUST for the lure coursing! Well, I'll enter other
things too, but there is nowhere else that I know of that has all-breed
coursing fun runs, and I want my other dogs to give it a try.

Christy

Old August 23rd 04, 11:21 PM
Frank Morris

Howdy Dianne,
Try to google ASFA or AKC. ASFA is for sighthounds but might be able
to lead you in the right direction. AKC I hear is doing all-breed lure
coursing. If you are near Sacramento you might try contactin the
Northern California Whippet Club. They do Whippet racing but might know
about some lure coursing. Also if you have a place big enough you can
buy your own lure machine. Set up a straight line and run the dog silly
:-)

Old August 23rd 04, 11:32 PM
Frank Morris

Howdy Christy,
Back about 20 years ago there was one org. over seeing lure coursing
and that was ASFA. Now I think AKC is also doing it.So I don't know what
terms are being used these days :-) You can look up both orgs. to see if
there is anything in your area. Don't make your poor do wait a year to
have fun again LOL.

Old August 25th 04, 02:50 AM
Frank Morris

Howdy Matt,
Get out there and have fun. It is the lazy mans way to exercise the
dog :-) Most lure courses for competion is about 700 yards. That is a
lot of runs in agility or flyball, not to mention a lot of throws for
fetch LOL.