GoldenDoodles and lymphoma

Old February 24th 09, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Peetie Wheatstraw

Default GoldenDoodles and lymphoma

I, myself have been quite satisfied with pure bred dogs for decades, and
have long looked askance at designer breeds.

A good friend, after a very successful cradle-to-grave Golden, decided
to try a GoldenDoodle from a "respectable" breeder. After about a year of
investment in working with the dog and accumulated affection, the dog
tests positive for lymphoma, is in bad shape, and may well be put down
very soon. The breeder offers a refund.

Lymphoma is common in Goldens. The dog is only one year old.

How unusual is this? Any idea what might have been involved?

Thx,
Peetie
Old February 24th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Judy

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in message
A good friend, after a very successful cradle-to-grave Golden, decided
to try a GoldenDoodle from a "respectable" breeder. After about a year of
investment in working with the dog and accumulated affection, the dog
tests positive for lymphoma, is in bad shape, and may well be put down
very soon. The breeder offers a refund.

Lymphoma is common in Goldens. The dog is only one year old.

How unusual is this? Any idea what might have been involved?

Did your friend believe that by getting a Golden Retriever Poodle cross that
it would eliminate the Golden's propensity for cancers?

You put "respectable" in quotes.. What is that based on? Did this breeder
do the necessary health testing for each breed before creating the mix? I
mean, the offer of refund is nice - well, better than not offering - but
what steps did this breeder take to limit this possibility?

Judy

Old February 25th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Peetie Wheatstraw

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:27:27 -0500, "Judy" wrote:

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in message
.. .
A good friend, after a very successful cradle-to-grave Golden, decided
to try a GoldenDoodle from a "respectable" breeder. After about a year of
investment in working with the dog and accumulated affection, the dog
tests positive for lymphoma, is in bad shape, and may well be put down
very soon. The breeder offers a refund.

Lymphoma is common in Goldens. The dog is only one year old.

How unusual is this? Any idea what might have been involved?

Did your friend believe that by getting a Golden Retriever Poodle cross that
it would eliminate the Golden's propensity for cancers?

You put "respectable" in quotes.. What is that based on? Did this breeder
do the necessary health testing for each breed before creating the mix? I
mean, the offer of refund is nice - well, better than not offering - but
what steps did this breeder take to limit this possibility?

Why respond if you can address neither of the posted questions?

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedi...a-in-dogs.html

Canine lymphosarcoma occurs more commonly among middle-aged to older dogs. In
fact, most affected dogs are between 5-9 years of age.

The GD is/was a mere 1 year old. As near as I can tell, this is very
unusual.

Peetie
Old February 25th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Tara Green

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
[...]

Her point was, actually, pretty valid.

A Goldendoodle is only as good as the lines
behind it. If this respectable breeder you
mentioned had been screening her lines, for a
cancer that *is* known to crop up in Goldens,
she could have reduced the risk.

Is this unusual? I have no idea. But I do
know I have seen some devastating illness
crop up *really early* in Golden/Poodle
crosses (even those crossed on purpose for
the purpose of selling), and I have seen some
of those illnesses crop up heartbreakingly
early. Even out of "respectable breeders'" lines.

But the truth is, it takes an enormous, and
almost heroic effort for a breeder of
purebreed dogs *responsible*. It takes twice
as much of that to make a breeder of *two*
different breeds *responsible*. And I have to
tell you, the first group is a rare gem as it
is, the second group....near nonexistant.

So her point actually spoke to your question
pretty well. A breeder *makes* these things
more unusual by screenin thier lines and
breeding against things like this.
Old February 25th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Rocky[_2_]

Peetie Wheatstraw said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Why respond if you can address neither of the posted
questions?

You've been around long enough to know that usenet is all about
discussion.

Irrespective, Judy asked pertinent follow-up questions.

Old February 25th 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Nick

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:27:27 -0500, "Judy" wrote:

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

With that kind of attitude you will be lucky to get any responses.

Judy responded because both of her inquiries are relevant to your
posted questions. She was requesting further information so those here
with relevant experience may be able to further understand your
situation.

Nick

Old February 26th 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Peetie Wheatstraw

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:45:08 -0500, Tara Green wrote:

A Goldendoodle is only as good as the lines
behind it. If this respectable breeder you
mentioned had been screening her lines, for a
cancer that *is* known to crop up in Goldens,
she could have reduced the risk.

Is this unusual? I have no idea. But I do
know I have seen some devastating illness
crop up *really early* in Golden/Poodle
crosses (even those crossed on purpose for
the purpose of selling), and I have seen some
of those illnesses crop up heartbreakingly
early. Even out of "respectable breeders'" lines.

That is the kind of info I was fishing for.

But the truth is, it takes an enormous, and
almost heroic effort for a breeder of
purebreed dogs *responsible*. It takes twice
as much of that to make a breeder of *two*
different breeds *responsible*. And I have to
tell you, the first group is a rare gem as it
is, the second group....near nonexistant.

So her point actually spoke to your question
pretty well. A breeder *makes* these things
more unusual by screenin thier lines and
breeding against things like this.

Your point is well taken.

Thanks,
Peetie

Lymphoma Nitram Dog health 16 December 10th 08 02:33 AM
Prednisone / Lymphoma questions... [email protected] Dog health 3 March 17th 07 07:51 PM
another dog with lymphoma parismom Dogs - general 2 August 22nd 06 02:01 PM