Lurcher tails

Old February 27th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
caroline

Default Lurcher tails

Hi all

Just taken in a lurcher for rehab....at best guess she's greyhound x
deerhound (possibly wolfhound? whatever the other half is its tall and
furry!)

OK, so her tail is the least of her problems...standing 27" and weighing
around 16 kg is her main problem!

But, whilst I can work slowly on building up her weight and muscle...the one
thing that is defeating me is the end of her tail! I just can't get it to
stop bleeding...its not bleeding constantly....but its re-opening several
times a day....she doesn't even need to hit it off anything, just wagging it
enthusiastically is enough to start it off again. (and now she's being fed
properly, she's starting to feel happy again, and boy can she wag her tail!
grin)

I've tried bandaging the end up, toilet roll tubes and sticky bandage.
I've tried drying it by: dipping it in wound powder, dipping it in corn
flour, dipping it in styptic powder.
I've tried keeping it supple with Vaseline, with tea tree cream, with
sudocrem.
Nothing I've tried so far works.

Its not broken, or bent, its just slightly damaged at the end, and keeps
bleeding...and once it starts to bleed again she thrashes it around like a
red pointy paintbrush, flicking everything and everyone with blood! Bless
her!

Any suggestions...been a week of absolutely no progress on the tail so far.

Old February 27th 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article , "caroline"
wrote:

Any suggestions...been a week of absolutely no progress on the tail so far.

I'll try e-mailing you a document I produced last year, when my FCR
puppy had the same issue. Let me know if you get it and can open it.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 27th 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
caroline

"Janet Boss" wrote
In article "caroline"
wrote:

Any suggestions...been a week of absolutely no progress on the tail so
far.

I'll try e-mailing you a document I produced last year, when my FCR
puppy had the same issue. Let me know if you get it and can open it.

That would be brilliant, thanks Janet.

Ignore the 'nospam' email, my 'reply-to' should work OK ;o)

Old February 27th 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article , "caroline"
wrote:

Ignore the 'nospam' email, my 'reply-to' should work OK ;o)

I sent it earlier. I hope you can get it. It's a PDF file

--
Janet Boss
Old February 28th 09, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot[_2_]

I had a doberman who had a torn ear that wouldn't heal he kept opening it
and bleeding. As a last resort my vet had me use crazy glue on the spot.
He lost a lot of hair on the ear while we were using the crazy glue but it
finally healed after using the glue for almost 2 months. The hair grew back
later on.

Celeste

--
Get 600 FREE 4X6 prints and 600 FREE 5x7 prints
sign up for Artscow

Save 25% or more on your eBay® auctions
Snipe eBay Auctions with Bidnip
http://www.bidnip.com/a.php?id=39019

Old February 28th 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

"Spot" wrote in message
I had a doberman who had a torn ear that wouldn't heal he kept opening it
and bleeding. As a last resort my vet had me use crazy glue on the spot.
He lost a lot of hair on the ear while we were using the crazy glue but it
finally healed after using the glue for almost 2 months. The hair grew
back later on.

Celeste

It seems that there is a medical grade superglue, but it is expensive:
http://www.medexsupply.com/wound-car...x_pid-892.html

Here is more information about the difference between medical grade and the
usual OTC hobby glue:
http://www.fensende.com/Users/swnymph/refs/glue.html

The cheap version contains methyl alcohol which can be toxic and also can
sting, so be careful. You might also consider Styptic powder or other
forms, which are sold specifically for pets, as a way to stop claw bleeding
after excessive trimming:
http://grooming.petedge.com/Top-Perf...CategoryId=501

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antihemorrhagic

Paul and Muttley

Old February 28th 09, 12:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
caroline

"Janet Boss" wrote
In article "caroline"
wrote:

Ignore the 'nospam' email, my 'reply-to' should work OK ;o)

I sent it earlier. I hope you can get it. It's a PDF file

Arrived safe and sound, thanks Janet!

Had most of the stuff to hand (sport tape, gamgee padding, sticky vetwrap),
and improvised with the rest...she's currently sporting a blue tail-end
grin

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

I'm in the process of setting up a blog for her, may I add your link?

Old February 28th 09, 12:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
caroline

"Spot" wrote
I had a doberman who had a torn ear that wouldn't heal he kept opening it
and bleeding. As a last resort my vet had me use crazy glue on the spot.
He lost a lot of hair on the ear while we were using the crazy glue but it
finally healed after using the glue for almost 2 months. The hair grew
back later on.

Celeste

Another great suggestion, thanks Celeste!

I have a GSPx who can suffer with the ends of her ears, but usually with her
sudocrem does the job...once I get the bleeding to stop. the sudocrem keeps
it all soft and supple, and less liable to crack and open.
I've used super glue before, on a badly docked tail....don't know why I
didn't think of that this time! Will see how Janet's bandaging works out
for now...although I could possibly combine the two ideas? Seal the end of
the tail, then pad it out for protection?

Old February 28th 09, 12:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article , "caroline"
wrote:

Arrived safe and sound, thanks Janet!

Had most of the stuff to hand (sport tape, gamgee padding, sticky vetwrap),
and improvised with the rest...she's currently sporting a blue tail-end
grin

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

I hope your products work well for you. I had a bunch of trial and
error before I found what worked really well. I changed the bandage
every other day - both wear and infection were reasons for that.

I'm in the process of setting up a blog for her, may I add your link?

In what form? I'm happy to share if I'm credited.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 28th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
caroline

"Janet Boss" wrote
In article "caroline"
wrote:

Arrived safe and sound, thanks Janet!

Had most of the stuff to hand (sport tape, gamgee padding, sticky
vetwrap),
and improvised with the rest...she's currently sporting a blue tail-end
grin

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

I hope your products work well for you. I had a bunch of trial and
error before I found what worked really well. I changed the bandage
every other day - both wear and infection were reasons for that.

I'm in the process of setting up a blog for her, may I add your link?

In what form? I'm happy to share if I'm credited.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

^^^^^^^ That link.^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wanted to add your link in the link list, and credit you for the bandaging
technique when I blog about it. (probably tomorrow or Monday)

Its a blog for my local SPCA, of which I'm a member, so we can post about
her rehab and progress. She's got a long journey to full health ahead of
her, and I thought it'd be interesting to blog about it. And give thanks
along the way to those folks who help us when we struggle.

Will stock up on more sticky tape, and look into some tube bandages in the
chemist on Monday, until then I'll use gamgee as dressing and padding. I
think our Vetwrap is the same as (or similar enough to) your
Elastikon....its a stretchy, sticky bandage, very pliable and mouldable. I
use a generic, cheap one...which bizarrely is much stickier than brand-name
vetwrap.
I'm not sure what toe bandages are, but when I cut the end of my finger off
a couple of years ago (washing up IS dangerous!) I used tube bandage (finger
bandage) and the end of her tail is thin enough that I reckon I could use
this in place of toe bandage, and then the gamgee for padding (gamgee =
cotton wool and gauze).

I don't have any bitter apple to hand, but the last few things I've strapped
to her tail she has left well alone...and so far she's not touched this
latest effort either. I've got some Bittrex spray I can use if she does get
bored enough to have a nibble.

She says thank you for the peanut butter distraction and reward!

look for tails... pb Dog behavior 1 May 20th 07 04:36 PM
Waggin tails gets it... Tara Dog health 1 May 5th 07 08:07 AM
Tails of Woodstock mep Dog breeds 2 January 26th 06 05:10 AM
New Lurcher Pup adm Dog behavior 8 September 22nd 05 04:55 PM
Ping Darby brindle possible lurcher Sionnach Dog breeds 0 August 21st 05 08:39 PM