treats for tooth challenged dachshund

Old March 11th 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phyllis Stone

Default treats for tooth challenged dachshund

Zip is about 9yrs. old. He was rescued and he has been ours for 4 yrs. The
first time we had his teeth cleaned he lost 20+, they just fell out. A few
months later he lost 9. He doesn't have many teeth left, he lets me brush
them a little. My husband likes to give him treats but mostly he can't chew
them. So what would be a good treat? I cook his food and make sure it is
soft and easily chewed. The treat thing is a problem though. Is there
anything that my husband could give him that he would be able to chew? He
lived on the streets for a time and has had health issues. He has a very
sensitive stomach.

Old March 11th 09, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
gilb

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
"Phyllis Stone" wrote:

The treat thing is a problem though. Is there
anything that my husband could give him that he would be able to chew? He
lived on the streets for a time and has had health issues. He has a very
sensitive stomach.

If you mean treat as in a little food reward or nicety, try Cheerios -
famous for toothless children for decades!

I'll second that. Our 7 year old Beagle has grown up on Cheerios as treats.
Cheap, little mess and a small handful spread out on the floor seems to be
quite a feast.

Old March 11th 09, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Phyllis Stone" wrote:

The treat thing is a problem though. Is there
anything that my husband could give him that he would be able to chew? He
lived on the streets for a time and has had health issues. He has a very
sensitive stomach.

If you mean treat as in a little food reward or nicety, try Cheerios -
famous for toothless children for decades!

If you mean something to occupy him, a Gumabone may be a good choice,
made by Nylabone. A little easier on his gums and since he has few
teeth, he is unlikely to destroy it.

--
Janet Boss
Old March 11th 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

"gilb" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Our 7 year old Beagle has grown up on Cheerios as treats.
Cheap, little mess and a small handful spread out on the
floor seems to be quite a feast.

I do something similar with frozen peas strewn over the lawn.
Entertainment and competition.