3 year old toy poodle

Old March 19th 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mikie[_2_]

Default 3 year old toy poodle

Years ago a poodle I owned was constipated too often. I gave him a
little ground Flax seed which solved the problem. But the little guy
went blind from cataracts at 12 years old and I had him euthanized. I
later learned that flax seed causes cataracts for humans and pets!

Now, my 3 year old toy poodle is constipated once in a while and I
must watch her droppings every day to be sure she's OK!, Can someone
suggest a natural aid other than flax seed?

Her diet has always been canned Pedigree chicken,plus any food that I
eat, particularly veggies! Also Iams kibble and Iams biscuit treats,

Help please?
Old March 19th 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Mikie wrote:
Now, my 3 year old toy poodle is constipated once in a while

I don't think "once in awhile" is a particularly big issue
but I would tend to ponder my feeding regimen if this were
happening to every dog I've owned.

The first thing that pops out is the Pedigree dog food.
It's not very digestible as dog foods go and you might want
to look at alternatives. Iams is also not a great food,
although not as egregious as Pedigree. If you're
cash-constrained, Diamond Naturals makes a lower-priced dog
food that's more digestible and I think a very good value.
That's Diamond *Naturals* - their main product line is not
so great.

Second, I'd get rid of the table scraps, etc.

Third, canned pumpkin (no additives, not "pumpkin pie
filling," just pumpkin) is pretty great for regulating a
dog's pooper - keeps things flowing when they get backed up
and firms things up when they're liquid. Psyllium is also
great for constipation.

Fourth, if you don't have water down all the time, it's time
to start. The dog should get as much water as she wants.