Vaccines & Pregnant Dogs

Old March 21st 09, 12:09 PM
Kris L. Christine Kris L. Christine is offline
Senior Member

Location: The Rabies Challenge Fund
Default Vaccines & Pregnant Dogs

Dr. W. Jean Dodds says, "Never vaccinate a pregnant dog."

In an August 1, 2008 article in DVM360 entitled Vaccination: An Overview, Vaccination: An overview (Proceedings) - Veterinary Healthcare Dr. Melissa Kennedy states regarding modified live virus vaccines and pregnant dogs: Because the agents are infectious, there is some risk for immunosuppressed animals, and significant risk for the fetus in pregnant animals.

On Page 28 of the attached 2003 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines Special Report -- it states under "Important Do's and Don'ts" 5. Do Not Vaccinate Pregnant Dogs The dog may abort of fetuses may get infect.

On Page 24 of the 2006 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines The downloadable in PDF format at About AAHA its states that: "As with pregnant dogs, veterinary medicine has advised against vaccination during illness, due to concerns about suboptimal seroconversion, or worse, conversion of vaccine to disease." In other words, if you vaccinate a pregnant or sick dog, not only do you run the risk of a less-than-desirable immunological response, but you also run the risk of your dog contracting the disease the vaccine is supposed to prevent.

Duration of Immunity: The Rabies Vaccine Challenge - Show #185 Animal Talk Radio Show 7/30/08 dog & canine forum - DogBanter

Duration of Immunity to Canine Vaccines: What We Know and Don't Know, Dr. Ronald Schultz Duration of Immunity

What Everyone Needs to Know about Canine Vaccines, Dr. Ronald Schultz
What Everyone Needs to Know About Canine Vaccines

Vaccination: An Overview Dr. Melissa Kennedy, DVM360 Vaccination: An overview (Proceedings) - Veterinary Healthcare

World Small Animal Veterinary Association 2007 Vaccine Guidelines - WSAVA - Scientific Advisory Committee Scroll down to Vaccine Guidelines 2007 (PDF)

The 2003 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are accessible online at Special Report .

The 2006 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are downloadable in PDF format at About AAHA .

Veterinarian, Dr. Robert Rogers,has an excellent presentation on veterinary vaccines at Home

October 1, 2002 DVM Newsletter article entitled, AVMA, AAHA to Release Vaccine Positions, AVMA, AAHA to release vaccine positions - DVM

July 1, 2003 DVM Newsletter article entitled, What Do We Tell Our Clients?, Developing thorough plan to educate staff on changing vaccine protocols essential for maintaining solid relationships with clients and ensuring quality care 'What do we tell our clients?' - DVM

July 1, 2003, DVM Newsletter article, Developing Common Sense Strategies for Fiscal Responsibility: Using an interactive template to plan service protocol changes Developing common sense strategies for fiscal responsibility - DVM

Animal Wellness Magazine Article Vol. 8 Issue 6, How Often Does he REALLY Need A Rabies Shot Animal Wellness Magazine - devoted to natural health in animals

The Rabies Challenge Animal Wise Radio Interview
Listen to Animal Wise (scroll down to The Rabies Challenge 12/9/07)

The Vaccine Challenge Animal Talk Naturally Online Radio Show » The Vaccine Challenge - Show #91

Rabies Shot Killed my Poodle May 28, 2008 Channel 5 News WCVB Woman: Rabies Shot Killed My Poodle - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston

US Declared Canine-Rabies Free -- CDC Announces at Inaugural World Rabies Day Symposium CDC Press Release - September 7, 2007

Rabies Prevention -- United States, 1991 Recommendations of the Immunization Practices Advisory Committee (ACIP), Center for Disease Control's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly March 22, 1991 / 40(RR03);1-19 Rabies Prevention -- United States, 1991 Recommendations of the Immunization Practices Advisory Committee (ACIP) "A fully vaccinated dog or cat is unlikely to become infected with rabies, although rare cases have been reported (48). In a nationwide study of rabies among dogs and cats in 1988, only one dog and two cats that were vaccinated contracted rabies (49). All three of these animals had received only single doses of vaccine; no documented vaccine failures occurred among dogs or cats that had received two vaccinations. "
Old March 21st 09, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

Dr. Melissa Kennedy states
regarding modified live virus vaccines and pregnant dogs: Because the
agents are infectious, there is some risk for immunosuppressed animals,
and _significant_risk_for_the_fetus_in_pregnant_animal s.___

Which vaccines are you giving that are modified live? I know rabies in
humans is modified live, but I know the one my dog gets is killed.

Dale

Old March 23rd 09, 03:09 PM
Kris L. Christine Kris L. Christine is offline
Senior Member

Location: The Rabies Challenge Fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Atkin View Post
Dr. Melissa Kennedy states
regarding modified live virus vaccines and pregnant dogs: Because the
agents are infectious, there is some risk for immunosuppressed animals,
and _significant_risk_for_the_fetus_in_pregnant_animal s.___

Which vaccines are you giving that are modified live? I know rabies in
humans is modified live, but I know the one my dog gets is killed.
Dale,

The human rabies vaccines are "inactivated," or "killed." The only MLV rabies vaccines that I am aware of being used at present are those in live bait for wildlife.

The MLV's for dogs include the distemper, hepatitis, and parvo core vaccines.

Kris
Old March 24th 09, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

"Kris L. Christine" wrote in
message ...

The human rabies vaccines are "inactivated," or "killed." The only MLV
rabies vaccines that I am aware of being used at present are those in
live bait for wildlife.

The one I had given to me was a modified live. I can tell you that with
absolute certainty (I know, because the nurses who looked it up for me got
it wrong, I later checked on the bottle that the actual vaccine was drawn up
from, because I didn't have faith in what the nurses told me, and it said
modified live). The one my dog had was killed (checked on the bottle).

The MLV's for dogs include the distemper, hepatitis, and parvo core
vaccines.

I'll check that next time I draw one up. I don't think I've ever taken a
really close look at that vile...

Dale

Old March 28th 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

I'll check that next time I draw one up. I don't think I've ever taken a
really close look at that vile...

Looking over the vaccines at the clinic, the cat 'combination' vaccine is
live, as is the distemper parvo, bordetella is viral antigen, rabies is
killed.

Dale

VACCINES-For HEALTHY Dogs ONLY!!! Kris L. Christine Dog health 0 February 5th 08 09:58 PM
Pregnant dog dogsinaz Dog health 2 August 5th 07 03:48 PM
pregnant dog. [email protected] Dog health 74 March 29th 06 10:56 PM
pregnant dog. Dog behavior 0 March 29th 06 09:58 PM
how do i know if my dog is pregnant? [email protected] Dog health 0 March 27th 06 01:22 AM