Introducing Floyd

Old April 14th 09, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Default Introducing Floyd

So dear daughter and the boyfriend have a puppy. He was recued by a vet
tech classmate of DD. He was found wandering the streets of Warrenton
with two other puppies of the same age but vastly different appearance.
Littermates, but half sibs, most likely.

Floyd appears to be full BC, approximately 14 weeks in age, as estimated
by the vet tech instructor based on dentition. He's been neutered,
vaccinated, wormed, Frontlined and chipped.

Initially i thought it was possible/probable that he was a mix but over
the past couple of weeks, as he's grown and become more relaxed and
comfortable in his surroundings, I don't see anything but BC. It's
hysterical to see him stalking the other dogs out in the yard, crouching
and eyeing and slinking slowly over the lawn.

Floyd spends time over here when DD and BF are at work/school, and they
borrow the BCs to keep him company at BF's house as well. He is a
member of a more or less functional pack. Scully and Zane are teaching
him how to be a dog, and, more importantly how to be a border collie.

Cooper is teaching him how to be afraid. Or trying to, anyhow. Floyd
is less impressed than Cooper would wish. Supplanted from his role as
"baby of the family" at the ripe old age of 7 years, Cooper is one angry
terrier. I've been trying to give him extra attention and to not make
too big a deal over the puppy but Cooper clearly resents Floyd when he's
around, begrudges him the space he occupies and the air he breathes.
And when the puppy is not around, Cooper is uber-clingy and whiny. I am
hoping that this is a passing phase. Have you ever tried to operate an
industrial sewing machine with a depressed 14 pound jrt draped across
your lap, moaning pathetically?

Old April 18th 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
William Clodius[_2_]

Cooper and floyd sound great. Where are the photos?

--
Bill Clodius
los the lost and net the pet to email
Old April 18th 09, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

William Clodius wrote:

Cooper and floyd sound great. Where are the photos?

This is Cooper:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2n9b2uw&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=19qvqe&s=4

I haven't got any of Floyd uploaded yet.

Old April 18th 09, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Kathleen said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

This is Cooper:

I boycott introductions unless there are pictures, so thanks!
(There's no facetious smiley face, I think.)

Sort of rough, sort of smooth. He has a nice smile. A fine
looking dog. I really like Jacks.

Old April 18th 09, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Rocky wrote:
Kathleen said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

This is Cooper:

I boycott introductions unless there are pictures, so thanks!
(There's no facetious smiley face, I think.)

Sort of rough, sort of smooth.

The woman I got him from had purchased him from another breeder as a
show and breeding prospect. After a couple of weeks it became obvious
that his tail docking had been botched (too short). Spoiled for
conformation, but an all around excellent puppy otherwise. She wanted
him to go to a performance home.

A woman from my flyball club knew I was looking for a jack and put me in
touch with her. He was sweet and gorgeous and since I had no intention
of ever showing in conformation or using his tail as a handle I didn't
give a wet slap about the docking. She asked me for what she'd put into
him - purchase price, baer testing, vaccines - and I wrote her a check
and brought him home.

She described him as broken-coated, although I'd call him mostly smooth
with sparse furnishings. His hair is all but impossible to remove from
certain fabrics. They will also embed themselves like splinters in my
hands when I'm stripping him.

He has a nice smile. A fine
looking dog. I really like Jacks.

I won't tell him you said that. He'd be crushed since he was going for
"savage beast".

Old April 19th 09, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Kathleen wrote:
Rocky wrote:

He has a nice smile. A fine
looking dog. I really like Jacks.

I won't tell him you said that. He'd be crushed since he was going for
"savage beast".

I was thinking, what a sweet face, until I saw the second photo.
Tell him he's doing a good imitation of one G.

Can't wait to see the pictures of Floyd!

FurPaw

--
Don't believe everything that you think.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old April 20th 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

"Rocky" wrote:

Sort of rough, sort of smooth.

IOW, he's a "broken coat" - the 3rd type of JRT coat. :-)

Old April 20th 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

"Kathleen" wrote:

The woman I got him from had purchased him from another breeder as a show
and breeding prospect. After a couple of weeks it became obvious that his
tail docking had been botched (too short). Spoiled for conformation, but
an all around excellent puppy otherwise.

He's a lovely little guy - but then I'm a sucker for Jacks anyway. ;-)
Just out of curiosity, which registry?

She described him as broken-coated, although I'd call him mostly smooth
with sparse furnishings.

Hrm, well...that's basically what "broken coat" means - smooth with
furnishings. G He's pretty much got classic broken-coat looks.

His hair is all but impossible to remove from certain fabrics.

JRT hair is amazing - it seems to actually weave itself into fabric, and
unless you want to sit there with tweezers for hours, NEVER comes out of
some upholstry. Since I'm still finding Rocsi's hair in things nearly 3
years after her death, I'm thankful that *Cenau's* hair is only Jack-stiff
on his shoulders & dorsal stripe.

Old April 20th 09, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Glenn Lyford

*JRT hair is amazing - it seems to actually weave itself into fabric, and
unless you want to sit there with tweezers for hours, NEVER comes out of
some upholstry.

Sounds a lot like ACD hair...
--Glenn Lyford
Old April 20th 09, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

sionnach wrote:

"Kathleen" wrote:

The woman I got him from had purchased him from another breeder as a show
and breeding prospect. After a couple of weeks it became obvious that his
tail docking had been botched (too short). Spoiled for conformation, but
an all around excellent puppy otherwise.

He's a lovely little guy - but then I'm a sucker for Jacks anyway. ;-)
Just out of curiosity, which registry?

Cooper himself is registered only with NAFA and U-FLI. His sire and dam
are JRTCA registered.