Oppie: April 8, 1996 - April 16, 2009

Old April 16th 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Default Oppie: April 8, 1996 - April 16, 2009

Thanks to all of your who gave your kind wishes for Oppie.

We said our final good-bye this morning. He might have lasted a
few more days, or maybe even a week or two, but his strength was
failing, he was getting out of breath after a short patrol around
the yard, his breathing was becoming labored even when resting,
and he wasn't even eating most of his favorite foods (raw steak
and cooked heart excepted). So this morning in our living room,
as my husband held his head and handed him tidbits of steak, I
injected a strong dose of sedative into a catheter that the vet
had left in place on Monday. When he was very calm and relaxed,
we loaded him into the car and drove to the vet clinic, where his
favorite vet finished the process.

Our house feels very empty now. No one huffed at the gate when
we arrived home. No one took a nap with us. There are food and
water dishes and beds and pillows to pick up, and I'm sure I
will stumble on several of the yogurt cups he liked to finish off
and then carry out the the back yard. No one will stalk
stiff-legged from one side of the bed to the other, giving small
kissies and getting good-morning pets. No one will huff at my
husband in the kitchen, demanding breakfast, or belly-flop in
front of the food bowl, waiting to hear "ok!" No one will dance
impatiently in front of me waiting to lick my cereal bowl. No
one will back up to me in the bathroom, demanding a butt skritch.
No Comfort Dog will stretch out on his bed, head on a pillow,
and roll on his back for a tummy rub.

MoveOppie, Goofball, Gummy Bear, Puppy, OppieBoy - Oppie, you
were much loved.

FurPaw

--

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old April 16th 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
FurPaw wrote:

Our house feels very empty now. No one

I'm so sorry. The emptiness is so hard to face, isn't it? You did
right by him and I know how much he will be missed. Take care of
yourself through the grief,

--
Janet Boss
Old April 16th 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
FurPaw wrote:
We said our final good-bye this morning.

Oh, gosh. I am very sorry for your loss.

Old April 17th 09, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Karla

"FurPaw" wrote in message
MoveOppie, Goofball, Gummy Bear, Puppy, OppieBoy - Oppie, you were much
loved.

I know you couldn't have loved him more. And I know you couldn't miss him
more. What a fine dog to grace your lives with.

I am so very sorry for your loss,
Karla

Old April 17th 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyrie

"FurPaw" wrote in message

We said our final good-bye this morning.

MoveOppie, Goofball, Gummy Bear, Puppy, OppieBoy - Oppie, you were much
loved.

It's obvious how much he was loved. I'm very sorry for your loss.
--
Phyrie
Kiba the Cav's Pics:

Old April 17th 09, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kat

"FurPaw" wrote in message
Thanks to all of your who gave your kind wishes for Oppie.

We said our final good-bye this morning

So sad It sounds like he had a great life and a peaceful passing - what
more could a dog ask for? Take care.

Kathy

Old April 17th 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:51:16 -0600, FurPaw
wrote:

Our house feels very empty now. No one huffed at the gate when
we arrived home. No one took a nap with us. There are food and
water dishes and beds and pillows to pick up, and I'm sure I
will stumble on several of the yogurt cups he liked to finish off
and then carry out the the back yard. No one will stalk
stiff-legged from one side of the bed to the other, giving small
kissies and getting good-morning pets. No one will huff at my
husband in the kitchen, demanding breakfast, or belly-flop in
front of the food bowl, waiting to hear "ok!" No one will dance
impatiently in front of me waiting to lick my cereal bowl. No
one will back up to me in the bathroom, demanding a butt skritch.
No Comfort Dog will stretch out on his bed, head on a pillow,
and roll on his back for a tummy rub.

This moved me to tears. I am so very, very sorry.

Mustang Sally

Old April 17th 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

godspeed, Oppie.

Old April 17th 09, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty[_2_]

Old April 17th 09, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

FurPaw spoke these words of wisdom in news:gs8cp6
:

I'm impressed with your courage, and saddened in the darkness of your heart.

I'm sorry. God Speed oppie